Desired change to Profession Benefits

I know that blizzard has been dealing with an issue of players having to pick certain professions if they want to maximize their class/spec's potential. Not every person might want to have blacksmithing/jewel crafting on multiple characters because it will give them the best stats. Or of course other combinations depending on the situation of the individual. Not to mention that what might be the best combination for one spec might not be the best for their other dual spec.

What i'd like to suggest is an actual talent tree based on professions. The tree would have three roles like tank, heals, damage, and available points placed in these would be based on your level of a profession (journeyman, grandmaster, etc) and how many professions you had. Also, secondary professions could convert points to this encouraging people to level as many as they can. Maybe a tab similar to the mechanics of the glyph system or pet talent points that would change depending on the spec.

Through this system, a tank could have herbalism and skinning and not lose out on potential stats that the current system allows for. I realize that a possible draw back of this is that many people would be drawn to the quickest leveling professions like gathering and some side effects like AH prices dropping might occur. On the other hand though, a person could pick the professions that they wanted to have for themselves. That same person could also level something because they wanted to help their guild out and the guild needed a high level (insert profession). In the event that many did switch to the gathering professions just because they are quick/cheap/profitable to raise would allow those w/ crafting professions to potentially make more money selling items. Since so many gatherers are out there, it would also allow the crafting professions to get mats on the ah at cheaper prices.

To be honest, I see this new set up as a win-win situation. I would love other player feedback and opinions. Possible suggestions or enhancements to the idea, anything. I just can't get the feeling out of my head that the current profession system needs an over haul.