The Unspendable Point

I've done 4.0 builds several times, as a PVE-focused Shadow Priest, and each time end up with 1 talent point left over with nothing of "Shadow PVE" to put it in.

http://wowtal.com/#k=a5FBc0RWB.a5o.priest.qndybC

This is the build I came up with. You could always use the 2 points in Inner Sanctum somewhere else like a lower cd psychic scream or whatever, but I wanted the less spell damage for shadow word death at lower percentages and for raid spell damage.

I don't really understand what you're trying to say here. Are you asking for help for a different spec? Because if you have one point leftover, chances are the spec is in some way incorrect.

Trying looking up class specs on a few websites or something. Or ask another priest in your guild.
    I'd tell you to get at me, but you smell like shit, so keep your distance, please.

Could you possibly write out a link to your build so we can get a general idea of which way you're headed, with the understanding that you can't actually link you could actually type it out without it being a link

Not every talent point spent has to go towards increasing DPS. I hear utility is making a comeback.

Working as intended.

Blizzard don't want people to sink all there points in 'better at PvE' but pickup utility talents aswell.
    See all, Hear all, Record all.
    ~Still Playing since Open Beta~

Hmm. I think I know what he is referring to. I usually PvP mostly, but I am not a stranger to PvE. If you take all the PvE talents, get 3 pts in Twin Disciplines and Mental Agility, then go for Evangelism/Archangel combo, there is one point leftover that won't do you much good (if any at all) to put into the remaining Disc/Shadow talents. I was thinking to forget Inner Sanctum altogether and go for Psychic Horror for another oh sh** button, in case the group needs it. Cata's supposed to be more heavily reliant on CC for PvE anyway, so it couldn't hurt to have more.

Plus you wouldn't lose much of a passive bonus and if you're caught by an enemy player while in PvE spec, you will have another way of cc'ing him. PvE SPriest don't really have squat for cc cds. If you run into an enemy you pretty much just have to keels him quick before he gibs you.

Edit: Err, forgot, here's the link. http://wowtal.com/#k=Y-m7Js11.a5o.priest..
    Last edited by Buffwhite; 2010-10-12 at 03:32 PM.
    With a shape like that, and a cape like that, cc better cc me. Cuz them dots just keep on rollin, and you know red equals dead. So let them casters cast, cuz haste makes us too fast. And I ride out in Mimiron's Head.

Thank you Buffwhite for being the one to "get it". This was not a thread about taking DPS boosts over Utility. This was a thread about taking all the pertinent Shadow PVE talents leaves you with one unspent point with nothing of value to put it into.

Do I really care? no, not really. It's a good topic of discussion though, should we chose to make it so. Though this is a forum, so who am I kidding?
    Last edited by Patron of Wrath; 2010-10-12 at 04:33 PM. Reason: Vagina

Deleted
    I'm putting it into Psychic Horror. Addition CC never hurt anyone in a bad situation.

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by Blindfaith View Post
    I'm putting it into Psychic Horror. Addition CC never hurt anyone in a bad situation.
    Are we truly so out of touch with crowd control that you would refer to "fear" as CC. Fear is not CC; it's the next best thing to a guaranteed wipe.

Quote Originally Posted by Patron of Wrath View Post
    Are we truly so out of touch with crowd control that you would refer to "fear" as CC. Fear is not CC; it's the next best thing to a guaranteed wipe.
    Before you jump in and bash someone, make sure you know the spell in question... Psychic Terror immobilizes the target for the terror effect duration, and will not send them running off randomly risking pulling other packs. You're thinking of Psychic Scream, and even that can be made safe now via the new glyph for 4.0.1

Lethal, Thunderhorn-US
    (US #1 2-night guild WoD)
    Tues/Thurs 7-11pm CT
    EN 7/7 Heroic

Quote Originally Posted by Bigslick View Post
    Before you jump in and bash someone, make sure you know the spell in question... Psychic Terror immobilizes the target for the terror effect duration, and will not send them running off randomly risking pulling other packs. You're thinking of Psychic Scream, and even that can be made safe now via the new glyph for 4.0.1
    Thank you for the correction.

Exactly. Technically, you don't 'need' psychic horror either.

You have 2 'free points' to use in whatever you want, with no really effect on your overall dps.

Though if you want to stretch it, technically Inner Sanctum is a dps increasing talent during the execute phase.

Under 25%, our health becomes our resource bar, so any way you can reduce the drain on your health should be a general DPS increase.

Quote Originally Posted by Patron of Wrath View Post
    Ugh, they make a glyph for that now. And back in ZA, Fear WAS a cc on the platform before the first boss.

Fears get glyphs to make things stand still while feared. Reliable CC now. Get over it.

Also, my final point will be spent on Psychic Horror. OMG IT DOESN'T INCREASE MY DAMAGE IT MUST SUCK! Yeah... no. I've always wanted that shiny toy, but I could never afford it in a PvE spec. =/

---------- Post added 2010-10-12 at 10:32 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Blackmorgrim View Post
    Though if you want to stretch it, technically Inner Sanctum is a dps increasing talent during the execute phase.

Under 25%, our health becomes our resource bar, so any way you can reduce the drain on your health should be a general DPS increase.
    No, not really. It reduces the cool down to use the spell (which is why Disc priests can spam it on so many people in such a short period of time), but don't forget that that cool down reduction means nothing if you're going to be using it on yourself. Weakened Soul has like a 15 second duration. Inner Sanctum doesn't reduce that debuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by Novakhoro View Post
    I recommend shoulder surgery immediately... there's no way you didn't fuck it up with how hard you just reached.

Quote Originally Posted by Veyne View Post
    No, not really. It reduces the cool down to use the spell (which is why Disc priests can spam it on so many people in such a short period of time), but don't forget that that cool down reduction means nothing if you're going to be using it on yourself. Weakened Soul has like a 15 second duration. Inner Sanctum doesn't reduce that debuff.
    Inner Sanctum is the one that reduces spell damage taken when you have Inner fire on. Sooooooo, you might be thinking of Soul Warding. Utterly no reason not to put the spare point into either IS or PH. More movement speed with Innerwill, more damage mit with IF, or a good ole fashion horror. Working as intended.
    Current Haterade® flavor: #$%@ you cherry

Improved Power Word: Shield (for less damage from SW: D, still get the mana gains from masochism) or Psychic Horror for the already mentioned "oh shit" button/extra CC.

Edit: just put a space between the : and the D so it stopped being a smiley.

10+ Year Old Account
    As others have said Psychic Horror. It's not much of a CC ability, but even then, causing enemies to drop their weapons is a very useful PvE ability, especially against mobs who use ranged weapons who you want to pull towards the group. It's also good for mitigating damage on the tank.

It's probably the thinking of the more recent players due to things like damage meters and the like, along with the AOE retard fest that was Wrath, but utility was a huge part of a dungeon crawl at one point. Anybody remember, "Imp Sap rogue, LFG?" Or warlocks busting out the Void Walker to help OT for a short time. Abilities like that helped a group more than a few % increase in DPS ever could. Nobody really cared about the e-peen meters, it was all about teamwork.

I still like 2 points into phantasm, even for PvE I like getting out of movement impairment.