Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Firefox has a built in spell check so basically spelling shouldn't be an issue. Basic grammar like "you/you're" and "there/their" isn't hard and shouldn't be an issue either, again assuming a native english-speaker.

10+ Year Old Account
    bahumut wrapped it up rather nicely, I must say.

I gotta say though, I'm getting more and more disturbed by the poor grammar around here. Even though almost everything you read is still absolutely understandable, I like to read about something without having to decipher misspelled words or sloppy sentence-structure. I'm not asking everybody to make 100% grammatically correct posts, but it's gotten a bit out of hand. It's not that hard a language, it's everywhere in our lives; TV, internet, literature and other media. I think it's time that we, in our secularized society, start to ask people to learn the language that's starting to be accepted as the "international" language. I'm not native, I'm from Sweden. I just think it would be much nicer if people around here corrected the numerous mistakes they make because of sloppiness, because that can be improved.

The first thing we need to deal with, is abbreviations as "u", "r" and similar. Then we need to teach MMO-C how to use our precious symbol "'", or the apostrophe. After that we can teach them how to build a sentence so it's easy for the eye to read. What's next? Using capital "i" when talking about oneself, of course.

The above paragraph is a little rant-ish, yes. But I don't think it's too much to ask of the community. It's especially important for the OP to make a well-written and comprehendible post, because the entire thread is going to revolve around that.

Quote Originally Posted by Irgoodatstuff View Post
    Why do most people use a capital g on grammar in the middle of a sentence? :P
    I think it's a Noun, although, I may be wrong.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerfnow View Post
    I think it's a Noun, although, I may be wrong.
    Only names, nationalities, languages and the first letter in a sentence should have a capital letter, as far as I know. I haven't studied German personally, but I've heard that they capitalize much more than other languages, such as English. Might be what you mean.

Nah that's not what I mean. Nouns should also have capital letters at the start of the word.

From what I recall, Grammar is a Noun. Therefore, it should have a capital letter and the start.

But I can't remember to be honest.

---------- Post added 2010-10-12 at 08:43 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Valanna View Post
    bahumut wrapped it up rather nicely, I must say.

I gotta say though, I'm getting more and more disturbed by the poor grammar around here. Even though almost everything you read is still absolutely understandable, I like to read about something without having to decipher misspelled words or sloppy sentence-structure. I'm not asking everybody to make 100% grammatically correct posts, but it's gotten a bit out of hand. It's not that hard a language, it's everywhere in our lives; TV, internet, literature and other media. I think it's time that we, in our secularized society, start to ask people to learn the language that's starting to be accepted as the "international" language. I'm not native, I'm from Sweden. I just think it would be much nicer if people around here corrected the numerous mistakes they make because of sloppiness, because that can be improved.

The first thing we need to deal with, is abbreviations as "u", "r" and similar. Then we need to teach MMO-C how to use our precious symbol "'", or the apostrophe. After that we can teach them how to build a sentence so it's easy for the eye to read. What's next? Using capital "i" when talking about oneself, of course.

The above paragraph is a little rant-ish, yes. But I don't think it's too much to ask of the community. It's especially important for the OP to make a well-written and comprehendible post, because the entire thread is going to revolve around that.
    I 100% agree with you. It's not hard to ask, simply adding a few symbols.
    I can understand if English is not the first Language for somebody, but it's not hard. At all.

Well correcting someone to get one up on them is pretty poor form so I think that's the point really. While I'm here though I would like to mention that "fail", the actual word "fail", FAIL IS A FUCKING VERB AND NOT AN ADJECTIVE SO PLEASE, FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, STOP FUCKING ABUSING IT! This isn't directed at anyone in particular and only really serves to lessen my throbbing vein on my forehead, thanks for listening.

Quote Originally Posted by Nerfnow View Post
    Nah that's not what I mean. Nouns should also have capital letters at the start of the word.

From what I recall, Grammar is a Noun. Therefore, it should have a capital letter and the start.

But I can't remember to be honest.
    Valanna was correct. Proper nouns (those that denote specific person, places, or things) are capitalized. As such dam (a large structure to hold back water, etc) is not capitalized even though it is a noun, but Hoover Dam is because it denotes a specific dam.

In the middle of a sentence, grammar would not be capitalized as it is not a proper noun.
    Last edited by Auton; 2010-10-12 at 07:48 PM. Reason: Forgot to address grammar specifically.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by gutsandguns View Post
    Well correcting someone to get one up on them is pretty poor form so I think that's the point really. While I'm here though I would like to mention that "fail", the actual word "fail", FAIL IS A FUCKING VERB AND NOT AN ADJECTIVE SO PLEASE, FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, STOP FUCKING ABUSING IT! This isn't directed at anyone in particular and only really serves to lessen my throbbing vein on my forehead, thanks for listening.
    Fail can also be a noun.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zamiel View Post
    It's classified in the EULA as harassment I belive.
    Really ?

God damn it,

10+ Year Old Account
    I think it's wonderful that in a thread about language someone manages to completely misunderstand a post so filled with sarcasm it's almost bursting at the seams.

I'd say it's pretty important to be diplomatic when you're correcting someone, it's just better for everyone to avoid the hassle of animosity and aggresion.

There's something someone said earlier on in the thread though, about it being totally fine to let horrible spelling and grammar mistakes to go uncared for, which I would definitely disagree with. You start a slippery slope there, and it's just nicer and easier to read something if it's written properly. Sure you could decipher a txt/1337-speak message and understand the meaning, but reading is meant to be effortless.

Oh, and colour, honour, empathise, criticise. Actually, that's an interesting one, "criticise", since Americans spell it as "criticize", in the interest of consistency would they spell the noun as "criticizm"? I doubt it, but I would wonder why not.
    "The truth, my goal."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tuvok View Post
    Oh, and colour, honour, empathise, criticise. Actually, that's an interesting one, "criticise", since Americans spell it as "criticize", in the interest of consistency would they spell the noun as "criticizm"? I doubt it, but I would wonder why not.
    I wonder the same thing, and I grew up here. Remember, we're still not using the Metric system either.

OT:
    I personally refuse to use leet-speak, unless in ironic situations. I've just always found it easier to use proper syntax, as opposed to perverting the way a language should be written.
    Host of Talking Skritt, a GW2 podcast!

If your trying to right my grammar/spelling i get angry, becuse no1 knows I got dyslexi :/