Enjoyed Frost dps on PTR

So idk about anyone else, but I was extremely happy with the dps I was doing on the ptr as frost. I love the way they have reworked FoF and BrainFreeze to give use an actually priority, I love that our WE is an actually perma pet and that we get its Freeze spell back and I love that after testing all 3 specs that it was on par with both Fire and Arcane. I can't wait for the patch to go live today so I can try the new spec out on my mage (used a premade on the ptr).

Deleted
    I do look forward to raiding as frost I must say

Preaching to the choir man, I am pumped to be able to compete as a lolfrost mage. I'll keep a fire off-spec, but I really just want to mess around as frost. I hope frost doesn't run into scaling issues, however, as we progress through raid tiers in Cata, this would make me a very sad panda indeed.

Yea I was thinking the same thing Potato Bus, but the more I think about it the more I think Blizz is really going to give it their all to make sure frost stays as a raid viable spec.

I'm hoping so, with no definite confirmation on what our stats will be like come Cata raiding, I *hope* we won't have to worry so much about being crit and haste capped in Cata due to the steep combat rating scaling that is upcoming from 81-85. As well, since Mastery has been added as a secondary stat (assuming the loss of SP in stat balancing on gear was rolled into Int), this should help gear balancing in our favor by not overloading us to the point of easily capping ourselves on haste and crit.

Dreadlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    ive said it before many times n ill say it again,, for quite a while now frost has been right up there with fire and arcane in raids (anyone who says otherwise either hasnt tried it long enough or doesnt use it properly), and ive used frost a lot in ICC, at times i do more dps in my frost spec than my fire spec but meh thats just what i think (i cant stand arcane btw) so yea i cant wait to get stuck into the new talent set ups with the patch
    ........THE WRITING'S ON THE WALL !!!!!

Deleted
    skill > spec,
    maybe you've been playing with bad mages

but yes frost was viable but not 'right up there with fire and arcane' (3.3.5)

What i'm worried about is that pvp will play a too big part in the balancing of frost

Quote Originally Posted by Micke View Post
    What i'm worried about is that pvp will play a too big part in the balancing of frost
    It should.

I don't want specs (a mage's spec, or any other class) being OP or UP just to balance it for pve.

What I meant was that frost is a tricky spec, and its very easy to be thrown off balance in regards to pve and pvp, so what I'm worried about is that frost will turn out balanced for pvp, but somewhat UP for pve (though ofc not as off balance as today, but I'd like to feel good about playing frost in pve even as a minmaxer)

if a middleground can be found, great, but its a very delicate problem and not as easy as just nerfing the damage of a spell as that overthrows certain mechanics and rotations (think nerfing ice lance and buffing frostbolt, then IL might end up out of the rotation, same with nerfing mastery)
    Last edited by Micke; 2010-10-13 at 12:11 AM.

They can always adjust DF damage for PVE as it does not deal damage in PVP. Just a thought

since the main complaints regarding so far is icelance damage in pvp, I guess you'd have to nerf both IL and frostbolt to keep the proportion between the two at the same level, and then buffing deep freeze as much as necessary

though it might be somewhat problematic putting too much dmg into a single spell (think stunable adds) or even while simply leveling

You also have to keep in mind that we are balanced now around level 85 where gear will put us at 80k+ HP IIRC in quest and dungeon blues, so a 10-15k Ice Lance pre-resilience (which will be our main damage source) isn't that IMBA

Given that in the most recent patch they buffed frost's pvp damage without touching pve e, it doesn't seem like balancing the two is going to cause problems quite yet so I wouldn't worry about it.