Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    Personally im not touching parry. I like it because of hold the line. Fucking with parry could net you 3 or 10 more mastery but then you would be touching on lowering your HtL procs. I just reforged all my dodge into mastery and have both dodge and parry at 19% with 42% block.

Of course, number crunchers might say differently, but I was never one to follow those to the T.

ok then... what if parry is the only stat on an item that can be reforged?

still keep parry? or get some mastery out of it anyways?
    Oh yes, there is a method to my madness O.o
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    We generally consider 0 / 0 / 71 builds to be a failure.
    ^win

Quote Originally Posted by Cracka_Bob View Post
    ok then... what if parry is the only stat on an item that can be reforged?

still keep parry? or get some mastery out of it anyways?

I suppose that would be up to you and where your parry is at. I would do it if my parry was more than 20%.

This is currently a little rough as I'm still typing up the math. But with DR you'll see the best returns from Mastery if you keep your dodge just above 21.6% and parry just above 21.44%. Below those figures you're actually losing a small amount of overall survivability when you compare directly the rating requirement for avoidance against block.

Parry and Dodge are both 45.25 rating per 1% before diminishing returns. Below diminishing returns you're trading almost 1/1 avoidance for mitigation which isn't ideal, it's only when DR hits the point where you're gaining survivability for your points that is becomes beneficial.

Armory Link
    Life's like a salmon swimming upstream - Hard work, and sometimes you get eaten by bears.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Cracka_Bob View Post
    lol what i meant is reforging whatever stat will give you the most mastery even if its parry

example (using made up numbers):

dodge rating: 50
    parry rating: 60

reforge parry into mastery for bigger mastery bonus

dodge rating: 50
    parry rating: 46
    mastery rating: 24

something like that... would reforging parry into mastery benefit a prot warrior more or would it be better to reforge the dodge instead?
    If you reforge avoidance to mastery you'll push Hits further off the table, getting closer to an unhittable status. Yes, you lose avoidance, but the gain in consistency of damage taken is worth it if you're at the point of DR on the avoidance values. Oh, and remember both Battle Shout and Kings increase your avoidance, it's a good 2% if I'm not mistaken.

I too regemmed to Stalwarts and swapped a few enchants around. I banged my head to the desk when I remembered I had sold my 277 Corpse Tongue Coin to make bag space.

Twice. :-(

Sitting at 95% unhittable atm. Can gain another 90 avoidance ratings from gems. How much does a reforged CTC give? Anyone got suggestions on previously weak tanking pieces from ICC?
    Last edited by mmoc0a04ed3db8; 2010-10-17 at 09:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Iyona View Post
    If you reforge avoidance to mastery you'll push Hits further off the table, getting closer to an unhittable status. Yes, you lose avoidance, but the gain in consistency of damage taken is worth it if you're at the point of DR on the avoidance values. Oh, and remember both Battle Shout and Kings increase your avoidance, it's a good 2% if I'm not mistaken.

I too regemmed to Stalwarts and swapped a few enchants around. I banged my head to the desk when I remembered I had sold my 277 Corpse Tongue Coin to make bag space.

Sitting at 95% unhittable atm. Can gain another 90 avoidance ratings from gems. How much does a reforged CTC give? Anyone got suggestions on previously weak tanking pieces from ICC?
    Remember the offset pieces. I dumped my 4 piece bonus to use the 277 offset gloves (you lose hit and gain a truckload of avoidance) and unhittable was worth losing the 4 piece bonus for.

Armory Link
    Life's like a salmon swimming upstream - Hard work, and sometimes you get eaten by bears.

Quote Originally Posted by Iyona View Post

im a fairly new tank here. ( thought i'd change it up a bit since 4.0) what do you mean by unhittable status?

For warrior tanks - we have a 30% chance of a block. So mastery affects how effective that block. we still take 7/10 melee swings unless blocked or parried? So a 100% critical block is in effcet the same as a single dodge or parry?

Quote Originally Posted by Huntrex View Post
    For warrior tanks - we have a 30% chance of a block. So mastery affects how effective that block. we still take 7/10 melee swings unless blocked or parried? So a 100% critical block is in effcet the same as a single dodge or parry?
    partially right.... mastery affects how often we block AND how often we CRITICALLY block. a normal block stops 30% of the incoming damage when we block whereas a critical block stops 60% of the incoming damage.

EX:
    a boss swings and we block.
    lets say it would have been 10k damage, but since we blocked, we only take 7k damage (3k is taken by the block the rest is taken by us)
    now he swings again but this time we critically block
    again it would have been 10k damage but since it was a critical block we only took 4k damage (6k is taken by the critical block the rest is taken by us)

so a block will never negate damage like a dodge or parry, but it will reduce the overall damage we take by reducing the amount of damage spikes that might occur. as for your question, through mastery, only your chance to block and critically block can be increased... there is no way to increase the amount we block as of this point.
    Last edited by Cracka_Bob; 2010-10-17 at 09:35 PM.
    Oh yes, there is a method to my madness O.o
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    We generally consider 0 / 0 / 71 builds to be a failure.
    ^win

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by ksup View Post
    im a fairly new tank here. ( thought i'd change it up a bit since 4.0) what do you mean by unhittable status?
    When a boss attacks you a die is rolled to see what happens. The boss has got 5% base chance to Miss you, then add your X% Dodge, Y% Parry, Z% Block. The boss has got 6% chance to score a critical strike. The rest is ordinary Hits.

You used to stack Defense to remove critical strikes from the attack table, these days you spec into Bastion of Defense or similar to become "crit immune". At this point, all attacks from a boss are either avoided, blocked or hit you.

The concept "unhittable" is when the 5% chance to be missed + X dodge, Y parry and Z block are at 102,4%. In other words, the worst this than can ever happen when you're attack is that you Block.

You can read more about the attack table here.