Thread: Prot Reforging

10+ Year Old Account

Prot Reforging

Has anyone begun to think about reforging for 4.0 and going forwards for Prot Warr? I was not looking at it as a priority for now, but then thought I might be shortchanging myself by not grabbing some mastery. Also it looks like I lost some Expertise somewhere in the patch so I am thinking forging over to a little more of that to reach cap.

I dunno...I basically started to think about it for a few minutes and it made my head hurt. Anyone have any insight as to how valuable/necessary this is to do for 4.0 or if there are already some good guides/breakdowns out there?
    "Brevity is...wit"

Im up to 43% block in my regular icc gear...23% ciritcal block. I just reforged a bunch of dodge to mastery.
    When you shoop da whoop, you feel powerful and don't want to lose it, and then a guy in plate armor comes and turns your woop against the shoop, hence, making you got laz0red.

Guild No Quarter - www.nqguild.org

10+ Year Old Account
    How much raw dodge did you leave on your gear?
    "Brevity is...wit"

15+ Year Old Account
    i also took out dodge for mastery, my dodge was so low with patch changes any way, like 23% chance to dodge or something, making it near useless in icc. Also with the prot warrior mastery buff incoming im glad i did it

Quote Originally Posted by Frankminimia View Post
    i also took out dodge for mastery, my dodge was so low with patch changes any way, like 23% chance to dodge or something, making it near useless in icc. Also with the prot warrior mastery buff incoming im glad i did it

I'm fairly certain the 20% dodge nerf is gone in ICC (or I could be wrong, not sure)

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bossmonkey View Post
    I'm fairly certain the 20% dodge nerf is gone in ICC (or I could be wrong, not sure)
    just checked and yea your right

I still have dodge at 20%.
    When you shoop da whoop, you feel powerful and don't want to lose it, and then a guy in plate armor comes and turns your woop against the shoop, hence, making you got laz0red.

turn either dodge or parry, whichever is higher(dodge if they are the same) into mastery. also helps to know that +armor on just about all items has been nerfed to hell. so 264 t10 legs come ahead of the crated ones now(they have a built in like 140 dodge rating which is a crap ton of reforged mastery)
    Quote Originally Posted by tkjnz
    If memory serves me right, a fox is a female wolf.

Quote Originally Posted by herpecin View Post
    turn either dodge or parry, whichever is higher(dodge if they are the same) into mastery. also helps to know that +armor on just about all items has been nerfed to hell. so 264 t10 legs come ahead of the crated ones now(they have a built in like 140 dodge rating which is a crap ton of reforged mastery)
    Yup, the armor trinkets now have no armor on them at all, making them completely useless. Im also reforged mastery.

I'm really looking forward to seeing how the prot changes hold up against some hard hitting bosses. Batt is now prot full time with the dps changes. Its really quite sad however that a Shadowmourne icc heroic geared fury warrior does half the damage of equally geared Boomkins, Shadowpriests, and mages...

Maybe its just me...but I couldn't get it to put out near the dps I had a week ago...not even with reforging and gemming mastery and hit. Sad really. I was planning on going prot in cata, this just expedited the decision a month and a half early. Its my guild that suffers really...a Shadowmourne gone to waste for a month and a half.

I started reforging and got a bit scared! it's something thats going to need tweaking anyway.

Basically I decided on a hard ceiling of 20% dodge and parry that I didn't want to drop below. I then set about reforging Mastery, getting to around 40% block and 20% critical block whilst maintaining around 21% dodge and parry.

I had to use some reforging for expertise, we seem to have lost some from gear or something because I was sitting at 4 instead of 11 (I raid with 11 and use food on top normally). I got back up to 14, but having hit a target dummy and cried at some very small numbers (2.26% crit chance....) I'm wondering if I'm going to need even more expertise to maintain TPS. I guess I'll find out tomorrow night in ICC.

I also threw Bladeward on my weapon as I had the mats lying around. My feeling is Blood Draining will be superior (I had Mongoose) but I want to pull apart WoL from tomorrow night using Bladeward before I make the swap.

Armory Link
    Life's like a salmon swimming upstream - Hard work, and sometimes you get eaten by bears.

Quote Originally Posted by Battousai View Post
    I'm really looking forward to seeing how the prot changes hold up against some hard hitting bosses. Batt is now prot full time with the dps changes. Its really quite sad however that a Shadowmourne icc heroic geared fury warrior does half the damage of equally geared Boomkins, Shadowpriests, and mages...

Maybe its just me...but I couldn't get it to put out near the dps I had a week ago...not even with reforging and gemming mastery and hit. Sad really. I was planning on going prot in cata, this just expedited the decision a month and a half early. Its my guild that suffers really...a Shadowmourne gone to waste for a month and a half.
    Especially when a DK is putting out comparable damage and more damage then they put out pre 4.0, and could use said Shadowmourne, my GM doesn't even want to let me tank, he doesn't want to lose another Shadowmourne to inactivity. So I get to sit there and look at my shitty dps and wonder where my glory days went.
    Steaküms 85 Warrior
    Éxpletive 85 Hunter
    Totums 85 Shaman
    Wholemilk 85 Paladin

"Our character is what we do when we think no one is looking"

Quote Originally Posted by herpecin View Post

I think the +armor gone is a bug:
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment

4.0.1 Known Issues Sticky Updated 10/12/2010
    [snip lots o stuff]
    Items

* Barrier of the Earth Princess still offers defense rating.
    * Many items are losing their bonus armor.
    * There are multiple items that are still giving socket bonuses.
    * There is no recipe to craft a Glyph of Vanish.
    * Overwriting any active glyph by using a second active glyph will still use Vanishing Powder and erase the first glyph (despite an error message afterward), instead of preventing erasure of the targeted glyph.

Quote Originally Posted by Torture View Post
    My feeling is Blood Draining will be superior (I had Mongoose) but I want to pull apart WoL from tomorrow night using Bladeward before I make the swap.
    What happened to Mongoose? I lost it off my prot warrior and both prot pallys
    Last edited by davesurfer; 2010-10-13 at 06:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by davesurfer View Post

What happened to Mongoose? I lost it off my prot warrior and both prot pallys
    It no longer gives armor. Making it less than appealing when comparing it to Blood Reserve or even Blade Ward.

Quote Originally Posted by JustintimeSS View Post
    It no longer gives armor. Making it less than appealing when comparing it to Blood Reserve or even Blade Ward.
    But my enchants just disappear off my tanks

I realize dodge falls behind now because of Hold the Line and the amount of block gained from mastery.. however...

Can anyone try to explain whether one should reforge dodge into parry or mastery, and in either case to what amounts, cause Hold the Line with a 100% uptime is extremely attractive, while block and critical block is too... whats perfect?
    'To laugh at your own mistakes can lengthen your life, but to laugh at the mistakes of others can shorten it.'

Deleted
    Can anyone explain to me how this mastery works?
    Im at 40% block now, or so.
    How do i know my mastery is working? When im taking boss hits they all seem similiar. Is it good stacking mastery? Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by davesurfer View Post
    But my enchants just disappear off my tanks
    Just a bug. Enchants disappeared here and there. I didn't notice any of mine gone last night, but have heard plenty of others who have.

Quote Originally Posted by MrMuggles View Post
    I realize dodge falls behind now because of Hold the Line and the amount of block gained from mastery.. however...

Can anyone try to explain whether one should reforge dodge into parry or mastery, and in either case to what amounts, cause Hold the Line with a 100% uptime is extremely attractive, while block and critical block is too... whats perfect?
    I'm starting from a 20/20/40 basepoint. Don't ask me why because there's no maths, it just felt right in my head. 20% dodge, 20% parry, 40% block. So, thats what I've done, not particularly scientific.

Tomorrow I'll see how I feel in a raid, I'll ask our healers how my survivability felt and I'll review WoL. The nice thing about Mastery is that its been implemented in such a way that you can go back and tweak if things aren't working. I'm worried my Exp is low, so maybe I'll have to lose some Mastery for better TPS. It's going to be a case of testing, crunching numbers and then starting to create coherent arguments. I might go in tomorrow and get slapped upside the head because I got the balance wrong, but we shall see. Trial and Error

Armory Link
    Life's like a salmon swimming upstream - Hard work, and sometimes you get eaten by bears.