Poll: Does new ability queue suck?

15+ Year Old Account

Ability queue sucks

Who else hates Ability queue?

Can't you just modify your settings so that this doesn't happen?

15+ Year Old Account
    I am sorry, what is this?

10+ Year Old Account
    ... What is the new ability queue? :O

Pandaren Monk
    10+ Year Old Account
    There has always been an ability queue, otherwise it would SUCK to play any caster/dk/enhancement shaman/paladin/hunter etc. Only energy using classes gets away with it. You're supposed to modify it for your own latency.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think it works wonderful, both on my DK and my Priest it felt just...how it should be

Deleted
    It's purpose is to prevent wasting potential time that could be spent casting, without you having to spam the next button in your rotation/prio system

If you press on a spell ~0.5 seconds before another spell is cast, it will queue and be cast immediately after the first spell. I don't know how long it has been in WoW, but it's nothing new

Been a big discussion going on in the Cata Beta forums for a while about it

http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/th...16137&sid=2000

Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    We had to change the ability queue system you are describing to fix an exploit that was threatening to become pretty widespread. It is unfortunately one of those cases where a few bad apples ruin things for everyone.

We are working on an improvement where the most recent command will override the previous one. If for example you are spamming Hamstring, and then succeed in snaring someone, you can switch to Mortal Strike which will clear out the Hamstring queue instead of wasting more GCDs on Hamstring.
    As an update to this, the next beta build will include a slider bar (labeled "Custom Latency Tolerance") that lets you tune how sensitive the ability queue is (including sliding it all the way to zero if you choose). This value allows you to control (in milliseconds) how long before the GCD finishes the client will let you queue your next ability.

The optimal setting will probably be right around what your ping time is. So, if your ping is 100 for example, you'd probably want to set it at 100 or slightly higher.
    Q u o t e:

Does that mean that the plans to add in the ability to replace a previous command is out? or is that still a possibility?

That's still in too. It's just that while overriding is helpful it can still fail if your override gets to the server a little too late and your previously queued ability goes off anyways.
    Q u o t e:

this might seem like a stupid question but

why cant you just make the client dynamically change this setting based on the ping rather than make the player choose it and probably get it wrong?

We plan to do this as the default value (when you aren't overriding it) in a future patch. There are some complexities that prevent us from being able to do it right now.

Q u o t e:

How are you going to address people using the TCPAckFrequency registry hack to "lower" their ping? Are you going to disable it in-game, similar to how you handled the nagle algorithm?

The server now enforces the actual global cooldown value, whereas in the past it allowed a .4 sec slush. So, instead of having a slush factor that let somebody cast a bit early, it now catches the request, waits until the cooldown has actually completed, then casts the spell for you (the queue'd ability) at the soonest possible time.

edit: Obviously I'm speaking more about the gcd "hack", not using methods to lower your ping.

[ Post edited by Kalgan ]
    Last edited by The Glitch; 2010-10-13 at 07:08 AM.