Unhappy Tree Of Life Update: Awesome, Spirit Link Absence: Terrible :(

I really feel defeated after seeing blizzard give druids that nice update, but still no Spirit Link or core defensive ability for shamans.

There are plenty of mechanics already in the game that have a double cast, why is it proving to be such a huge problem for Blizzard to implement? Does anyone have any inside info to share?

Is it a balancing issue? Is the risk of exploitation too high?

Even if we weren't given spirit link, but were instead given my previous idea of an Empowered Earth Shield which reduces damage by X% on the earth shielded target and consumes all remaining ES charges in the process... that would be fantastic!

What are other people's thoughts on this? Am I just being a cry baby or does the greater shaman community feel that we are falling just a little behind in defensive ability department?

Thanks,
    Klotark.

Deleted
    I smell QQ

Thanks for the constructive feedback. If you really do smell QQ, please take your face off your keyboard, stop sniffing, and actually type out a meaningful response.

tyvm!
    -The 'tark.

Well, depending on what you're asking meaning how long the cooldown will be and how long it lasts it's easy to implement. What you're asking is basically blessing of sacrifice where a percentage of damage gets transfered over to the healer or something.

If you're asking for a permanent style link then it will never happen because that would make resto shamans un-ccable in PvP or reduce the effectiveness of CC on shaman healers.

What do you mean by "Core Defensive ability" ?

15+ Year Old Account
    The idea behind spirit link is you link two allies together, so all damage they take is split between them, the question is, how do you implement this?

Who is going to want to take half the damage the tank is taking, while is a cool concept, it would just be a major headache for Shaman to use. Especially that the fights you would need it the most, fights where the tank takes a lot of damage, it becomes an ability too dangerous to use.
    :3

I think Cata will be good for wow as a whole for both PvE and PvP. It seems after all these years they FINALLY got everything right (knocks on wood...)

I think healing in PvP now will be a lot more similar to how it was in TBC even when people had only a bit of resilience. PvP healing in WoTLK was basically pick a target, spam the crap out of him and hope they can live through cooldowns where as in TBC you can actually get a breather in between cause the target most likely isn't going to die in 4 seconds or so.

I'd say wait till 85 and see what's going on. In the mean time, just enjoy the game.

When I say "Core Defensive Ability" I mean some ability, specifically for resto shaman that reduces incoming damage on a friendly player. I agree Spirit Link would have serious balance implications in both pve and pvp and perhaps that is the reason for not implementing it.

Empowered Earth Shield however, would simply be a percentage based damage reduction. It could still be dispelled, it removes remaining Earth Shield Charges and it could be on a relatively high cooldown, say 5 minutes. We're basically talking a pain suppression mechanic that would require Earth Shield to be on the target.

---------- Post added 2010-10-13 at 08:50 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by op3l View Post
    In the mean time, just enjoy the game.
    I agree with your comment op3l, things will be completely different @ 85 and until then, it looks like we're gonna have a lot of fun trying out our new abilities and learning the new healing system, etc.

I am just concerned, and a little sad that this awesome and unique ability (Spirit Link) was once again canned by the dev's.

15+ Year Old Account
    I suppose the question is, don't you already view Earth Shield as a core defensive mechanic? It helps soften the blows your target takes, and it is never wasted. Just because it doesn't reduce incoming damage doesn't mean it isn't reducing the damage the tank takes.

Nope, I dont view it as a def mechanic. If you had 12,000 hp and a boss hit you for 15,000, you die before earth shield gets a chance to proc. If you could use Empowered Earth Shield and reduce the damage that the boss was going to do by say, 50%, he'd hit you for 7,500, keeping you alive, but removing all remaining stacks of earth shield.

That's a defensive mechanic.

I do understand what you're saying and I agree that it does work in that sense, but only for attacks that won't kill you.

Deleted
    Spirit Link would be awesome if you have a Holy Pala, since you can put Spirit Link up between 2 Tanks so they share damage while the Holy Pala can heal both tanks up with Beacon (not really up to date on HPala changes for 4.0.1 so excuse me if i'm wrong).

Also throughout Wrath Shammies had no real Defensive skills/cooldowns, apart from a 4K Absorb (which required a Glyph aswell!). Seeing as Holy Palas have bubble, Priests have PW:S and Pain Supp and Druids have Barkskin it's pretty shitty to PvP as a Resto Shaman, unless very well geared.

(Excuse me again if i'm wrong on PvP Resto Shamans aswell, haven't pvped on mine since ToC came out)

I've done a lot of pvp as a resto shaman and it is really painful having your grounding totem killed by an auto attack from any class or pet only to get locked into a silence, or CC while your mates die.

Yes, having the small absorb that the glyphed stoneclaw totem gives is nice, it has saved me a lot of times, but it's also only saving me... not the people i'm trying to heal and therein lies the problem.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Rokoko View Post
    I've done a lot of pvp as a resto shaman and it is really painful having your grounding totem killed by an auto attack from any class or pet only to get locked into a silence, or CC while your mates die.

Yes, having the small absorb that the glyphed stoneclaw totem gives is nice, it has saved me a lot of times, but it's also only saving me... not the people i'm trying to heal and therein lies the problem.
    4K is also only 1 or 2 hits, the other Healing classes absorb a lot more than that.

Balancing Shamans around Heroism is shit. Should've let Hero be disabled in PvP and given us a good defensive CD tbh.

Well I was running 1510 resilience last season in 3s and the 4k absorb shield was great against melee because it meant I could live long enough to not be killed in a stunlock, strangulate or silence.. sometimes

There are a few things I would tweak for shamans in PVP, tbh. Guess I need to polish up my CV and apply for a job at Blizzard :P

a) Making totems pulse as they die
    b) Adding the defensive ability
    c) Make hex either snare the target or cause them to lose control of their character
    d) Increase mana tide totem's health so it can't be 1 shot by anyone

But we're getting OT.

15+ Year Old Account
    Nope, I dont view it as a def mechanic. If you had 12,000 hp and a boss hit you for 15,000, you die before earth shield gets a chance to proc. If you could use Empowered Earth Shield and reduce the damage that the boss was going to do by say, 50%, he'd hit you for 7,500, keeping you alive, but removing all remaining stacks of earth shield.

That's a defensive mechanic.

I do understand what you're saying and I agree that it does work in that sense, but only for attacks that won't kill you.
    The thing is, if Earth Shield was up on you, it helps reduce the risk of you ever dropping to a point where you can get one shotted before you can heal/get healed.

But I suppose, when you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all. (Win episode)
    Last edited by Zorbak; 2010-10-13 at 09:34 AM.

Deleted
    Well I was running 1510 resilience last season in 3s and the 4k absorb shield was great against melee because it meant I could live long enough to not be killed in a stunlock, strangulate or silence.. sometimes

There are a few things I would tweak for shamans in PVP, tbh. Guess I need to polish up my CV and apply for a job at Blizzard :P

a) Making totems pulse as they die
    b) Adding the defensive ability
    c) Make hex either snare the target or cause them to lose control of their character
    d) Increase mana tide totem's health so it can't be 1 shot by anyone

But we're getting OT.
    Make Hex a good CC with no CD like most CCs

It does help you live through some amazing damage, yeah. But with ES on you also go oom very fast. If it had an added defensive mechanic you could heal a little less as you'd be taking less damage. So are you saying that shamans don't need a defensive mechanic or are you just playing devils advocate?

Deleted
    All I have to say is "There's a long way between 4.0.1 and Cata Live"....

/eternal optimist

There I was enjoying glyph of arctic wolf being something atleast, now look at this one, wtb new ghost wolf model :<
    "It's a hard climb up
    and an easy fall back down
    WF is sex leg" - Shockrates on Enhancement PvP
    <3

15+ Year Old Account
    I'm saying, that if every healer had a "reduce targets taken damage by X % for X seconds" it would be dull, it Earth Shield does help reduce the damage you or an ally takes through a very unique mechanic. Disc Priests with Pain Suppression and Paladins with Hand of Sac don't get access to a Natures Swiftness for instance.