Thread: So much stuff.

So much stuff.

Warlocks feel like a very complicated class with this patch. I've been playing as Destruction, and there's so much stuff you have to worry about it's not even funny. This really feels too complicated to me, above and beyond 5-DoT Affliction. It's also very amusing. Searing Pain + Blood Queen Lana'thel = Awesome. Maybe it's because I'm not used to it, but it seems like they need to tone it down a little bit in terms of complication. Here are all the abilities I am keeping track of during a given fight: 2 Banes, Immolate, Conflagrate, Chaos Bolt, Incinerate, hardcasting Soulfire for the buff, instant cast Soulfire when it procs, Searing Pain below 50%, Corruption on the run, Life Tapping, Shadowflame, Soulburn, Shadowfury, Nether Ward, Demonic Circle. Seriously, this is making my brain hurt. Is anybody else feeling the same way? This is also assuming my pet is just on autopilot, and I don't need to heal myself or CC.

Deleted
    It will all feel natural in time. (That sounded so bad)

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Bergtau View Post
    This really feels too complicated to me, above and beyond 5-DoT Affliction. It's also very amusing. Searing Pain + Blood Queen Lana'thel = Awesome. Maybe it's because I'm not used to it, but it seems like they need to tone it down a little bit in terms of complication. Here are all the abilities I am keeping track of during a given fight: 2 Banes, Immolate, Conflagrate, Chaos Bolt, Incinerate, hardcasting Soulfire for the buff, instant cast Soulfire when it procs, Searing Pain below 50%, Corruption on the run, Life Tapping, Shadowflame, Soulburn, Shadowfury, Nether Ward, Demonic Circle.
    On how many bosses do you actually need 2 banes? I can't think of a single one. Or how often do you go standing so close to the boss that your Shadowflame actually reaches it? Marrowgar? Or on how many bosses do you use Shadowfury? Saurfang adds, but.. anything else? Really, there is only 2 abilities you're using now that you weren't using before: Soul Fire and Searing Pain. Everything else you should have been using already before occasionally, but not all the time, and you still don't use them all the time either.

No. I'd rather have a 'complicated class' to play rather than an easy one. At least that way you get some sense of acomplishment after you do well at it.
    http://www.badomen.info/website/
    Bad Omen recruiting!
    7/13 heroic 25
    Lf:
    Death Knight (DPS)
    Holy Paladin
    Shadow Priest

15+ Year Old Account
    so what's changed is: you keep up 1 more dot, you use Soul Fire and Soul Burn sometimes and SP below 50%? you won't need to use Nether Ward every CD in every encounter and the rest has been around for the entire expansion so you're being really overdramatic imo.

10+ Year Old Account
    I have to say I find it amusing to see Destruction Warlocks complaining Destruction is now 'too complicated'. It needed spicing up, it was a terribly boring spec in Wrath, I never enjoyed playing it because there was nothing to watch to keep you interested. It still doesn't look as much fun as Affliction or Demonology as it stands, as the aparent difference is an infrequent Empowered Imp proc, and potential use of Searing Pain if you're not threat capped.

Quote Originally Posted by GayGirlie View Post
    On how many bosses do you actually need 2 banes? I can't think of a single one. Or how often do you go standing so close to the boss that your Shadowflame actually reaches it? Marrowgar? Or on how many bosses do you use Shadowfury? Saurfang adds, but.. anything else? Really, there is only 2 abilities you're using now that you weren't using before: Soul Fire and Searing Pain. Everything else you should have been using already before occasionally, but not all the time, and you still don't use them all the time either.
    Part of this was from ICC, part of this is just thoughts for Cataclysm. There aren't many uses in ICC for 2 Banes, but why would Bane of Havoc exist unless it was intended to be used for something? If you could find a particularly good use for it, you'll probably be finding yourself using another Bane on the other mob. Shadowfury is also exceptionally useful, whether you've run out of movement spells or you're stunning MCed players before you Fear them. Nether Ward should also be pretty amazing in Cata when healer mana will be more important. Also, Shadowflame does a ton more damage now than it did before, I believe I read it does more damage than every filler ability for our specs. If that is the case, then why would you not use it? Unless, of course, you absolutely must be at range.

Complicated rotations? Multiple dots and debuffs to juggle? Damn, sounds like I need to level a warlock as well! =)

Quote Originally Posted by Jessicka View Post
    I have to say I find it amusing to see Destruction Warlocks complaining Destruction is now 'too complicated'. It needed spicing up, it was a terribly boring spec in Wrath, I never enjoyed playing it because there was nothing to watch to keep you interested. It still doesn't look as much fun as Affliction or Demonology as it stands, as the aparent difference is an infrequent Empowered Imp proc, and potential use of Searing Pain if you're not threat capped.
    I found 5-DoT Affliction much less complicated and awkward than this version of Destruction. Earlier Destruction might have been a bit too simple, but I think it's a bit too far currently.

Deleted
    Part of this was from ICC, part of this is just thoughts for Cataclysm. There aren't many uses in ICC for 2 Banes, but why would Bane of Havoc exist unless it was intended to be used for something? If you could find a particularly good use for it, you'll probably be finding yourself using another Bane on the other mob.
    I doubt it. Bane of Doom takes 1 minute to go off, so you'd need to find a boss fight with 2 or more actual bosses, or a boss fight where the adds are alive for more than 1 minute. Usually adds are meant to go down fast so on those fights it'd be pointless to use Bane of Doom.

Shadowfury is also exceptionally useful, whether you've run out of movement spells or you're stunning MCed players before you Fear them.
    Yet, that is no different from how things were before the patch. Using Shadowfury on such situations is nothing new, and it's not part of the rotation either. It's a special spell for special occasions.

Nether Ward should also be pretty amazing in Cata when healer mana will be more important.
    You still don't spam it. You only use it when there is AoE incoming, or you're being targeted by some spell. So again, it doesn't belong to your rotation, and you should have been using Shadow Ward already before. Again, nothing new.

Also, Shadowflame does a ton more damage now than it did before, I believe I read it does more damage than every filler ability for our specs. If that is the case, then why would you not use it? Unless, of course, you absolutely must be at range.
    Shadowflame doesn't have 40 yard range. For it to do damage you must be pretty damn close to the boss, and usually ranged are ranged exactly because they're supposed to be futher away. And again, if you had been playing as destro you should have already been using Shadowflame from before. Still nothing new.

---------- Post added 2010-10-13 at 12:33 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Languster View Post
    Complicated rotations? Multiple dots and debuffs to juggle? Damn, sounds like I need to level a warlock as well! =)
    It's not really any more complicated than before. 2 more buttons. Whoopsiedoo. Still, atleast it's _slightly_ more interesting now than before!
    Last edited by mmoc3b091e0ba3; 2010-10-13 at 11:34 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I found 5-DoT Affliction much less complicated and awkward than this version of Destruction. Earlier Destruction might have been a bit too simple, but I think it's a bit too far currently.
    I disagree. Almost everything you mention in your OP is purely situational, and has been in the build since at least the start of Wrath; it's nothing new, and nothing more than every other class has had to concern itself with outside it's regular rotation. The only true changes are Corruption from a movement spell to part of the regular rotation and SF procced from Empowere Imp. Whether Searing Pain is a viable change to the rotation remains to be seen; it could be that you're too threat constrained to make much use of it, or it could be that it flat out replaces Incinerate; most likely somewhere in between, even so it's a simple replacement and requires little more than watching a threat meter you'd be checking anyway.

...but why would Bane of Havoc exist unless it was intended to be used for something?

I like your logic Sir!

Sincerely,
    Sentry totem
    Quote Originally Posted by Naphta
    The tank is the driver, healer is the fuel. And the DPS are the kids sitting in the back crying about if they're there yet. And this is coming from a DPS.

Right, I just finished watching Raisa's video for Destro and I noticed he used corruption.. Is that a valid choice in destro now for the standard rotation ?

Warlocks feel like a very complicated class with this patch. I've been playing as Destruction, and there's so much stuff you have to worry about it's not even funny. This really feels too complicated to me, above and beyond 5-DoT Affliction. It's also very amusing. Searing Pain + Blood Queen Lana'thel = Awesome. Maybe it's because I'm not used to it, but it seems like they need to tone it down a little bit in terms of complication. Here are all the abilities I am keeping track of during a given fight: 2 Banes, Immolate, Conflagrate, Chaos Bolt, Incinerate, hardcasting Soulfire for the buff, instant cast Soulfire when it procs, Searing Pain below 50%, Corruption on the run, Life Tapping, Shadowflame, Soulburn, Shadowfury, Nether Ward, Demonic Circle. Seriously, this is making my brain hurt. Is anybody else feeling the same way? This is also assuming my pet is just on autopilot, and I don't need to heal myself or CC.
    i don't know why ur so upset. i'd be happy like a little child if EVERY class would become as demanding as feral kitty is now. i just can't understand players who just want to push 1-2 buttons in a raid and watch TV by the way...
    so let's party because warlock is getting more complex!!

Deleted
    Hard to satisfy all too you know, with new stuff, ppl tend to want new abilities, talents etc. and as with all new things, it takes some getting used to

Blademaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    I found out that feral dps was hard in WotLK, after some practicing it was easy!

I think Destro is right where it should be; albeit we WILL be getting the nerf bat very soon. Last night, running some heroics I was pulling between 10K - 13K DPS; on dummys with no buffs, 9.8K. The rotation isn't as bad as most are making it out to be; you just gotta practice, get yourself in the habit of doing it. I personally enjoy it, it makes the whole spec more fun.