Deleted

Help with harddrive!

So fellow champions.. tough cookie for you

I need some space to install WoW again and my harddrive is full as usual. I have a external harddrive with lots of space so I thought it would be no problem. Oh how wrong I was...
    When I try to move a file (the files is often around 1gb) it get's to a random % finished and then just stops, then my whole computer goes paralyzed. I can click on other windows I have up like other folders or Word documents HOWEVER I cannot click on the Start bar(that's the name in Swe anyway =S, the bar at the bottom of the screen) and I cannot go forward or backwards on the folders that I have up and also I cannot close anything. So basically it is almost completely frozen, the only way of fixing it is pressing reset (ctrl+alt+del does not work) My guess is that explorer is shutting down for some reason (not internet explorer...)

It seems I can move files from that harddrive to my computer for some strange reason and it seems to work okay with small files (even when there is a lot of them... Now, I do have another external harddrive that is limited in size and therefor space but I tried moving the same file over to that one and that worked. For fun I moved the file to my gfs computer and then from there moving it to the harddrive that is freezing on me and that works! Now I could move my files to the functional external and move it from there to her computer and then move it to the big external... But that is not practical and won't work in the long run as I would like to use the external in the future if I can get everything to work.

I do not now if it matters what size the files are or if it's only a problem with certain types of files (a moot point as I need to move those exact files). It has worked before and I have no idea when this happened as it's not very often I have to move files to it. I have no viruses and I have done a complete reinstall of Windows not so long ago so I dunno if it could be that.

A theory from my part is that for some reason my OS and that particular harddrive has some troubles with eachother all of a sudden...

My first instinct was to buy a new external but I figured that the same could happen to that one and thus it's just money down the drain.
    I'm in the process of buying a new computer and that could solve it all but I don't really want to shell out that huge amount of money in a hurry just because that bloody harddrive.

I'm no computer expert so I ask for your help. Sorry for the wall of text
    Last edited by mmoc415f2eb7bf; 2010-10-13 at 11:35 AM.

Deleted
    First steps would be to test your RAM and hard drives for errors.

RAM: Download & extract the zip: http://www.memtest.org/download/4.10...+-4.10.iso.zip --> burn the ISO image with imgburn (google).
    Boot from that CD, wait some time(can be hours) until the pass goes to 1 (from 0) or until you see errors. If ANY errors come up, your RAM memory is broken.

Hard drives: Download this an test both your hard drives (Long test, not short).

Let us know the results

Deleted
    Could the RAM memory be broken and just mess up that specific thing? Did not know that... bloody computers, my archnemesis

Anyhow will try them out and get back, thanks for the links Magekid

Deleted
    Could be, it's just testing things now and look at the results

Deleted
    uhm.... Doing the harddrive test now, hard to tell but it's around ~1% in the test. 32 errors and counting...
    You may have found the problem for me =P

Deleted
    There you go then, better be quick with the backups

Deleted
    SeaTools failed at 50% and won't start again, so I assume that the harddrive is so messed to the point where I should replace it ASAP? =P

Seems strange though when I can transfer from it from my gfs comp but not mine. On the other hand she has Win7 and I have Vista, could be that they react differently on errors or such. OR my computer is just being an ass as always... XD

EDIT: Found a little over 40 errors before it stopped
    Last edited by mmoc415f2eb7bf; 2010-10-14 at 08:30 AM.

Deleted
    Could be, either way errors are errors. They might want to move the files from/to a different location (that's undamaged) on Win. 7, so it doesn't give errors there. However on Vista it's trying to move it to the damaged sectors.
    (that's what I guess!)

Either way aye you should replace it ASAP, and get your files save!

Deleted
    Aye my thought exactly, Vista is crap after all.

Ah well a new is on the way. Thanks for everything Magekid

Deleted
    Yeaa I own, hope it all works out for you GL

- Logicaly

I'd also try a copy replacement, like Teracopy. Can copy some of the files that are ok, and give you a list of what got borked and didn't transfer. Doesn't hang like the built-in Windows one.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by ant1pathy View Post
    I'd also try a copy replacement, like Teracopy. Can copy some of the files that are ok, and give you a list of what got borked and didn't transfer. Doesn't hang like the built-in Windows one.
    ooo sounds interesting. I think I'm gonna get a new one, as I would have use for another one, and then experiment on the broken one and see if I can get it fixed somehow. Like nuke the content and stuff like that. Teracopy sounds like a cool thing. Cheers

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by ant1pathy View Post
    Thanks! That program can come in handy for me as well

Ycopy could also work for you.
    http://www.orphanguild.com/ - SWTOR Guild US West Coast PvP

10+ Year Old Account
    I've had similar issues with Vista not wanting to copy or move files and freezing up on it, but I'm guessing from what you've said, it could be more of a hardware issue.