Stats Reforging - MM hunter

Hello everyone,

Since the only way to get mastery now is reforging, what is your opinion on what stats to convert to mastery?

Having in mind the MM stats priority: Hit > Agility > Mastery > Crit > Haste, I am thinking in reforging all haste and crit to mastery.

/discuss

Seeing as you already know the stat priority, you kinda answered your own question.
    Do it, don't know why you're asking for confirmation.

I'm curious as to is this the real stat priority, I would have thought the focus regen of haste would be better than crit tbh.. I'm not passin judgement on it yet until i know AEP values..

Basically thinking the same thing.

However noticed that there tends to be more crit rating on
    gear than haste rating. So for reforging it would seem that
    you are better off taking the larger of the two
    stats (crit/haste) and reforging to mastery.

I'm mostly in ICC 251 gear and try to reforge every crit (except both weapon) in mastery. I went from 57% crit to 47% and my Mastery from 8 to 18.28. Making my Wild Quiver a 32% chance proc. So far without touching my haste (around 570 rating approx. 18%) and gemming in agility Wild Quiver is always in my top 3 shots in recount.

I want to try to reduce my haste to put it at 10% so my Steady Shot cast is at 1.5 when under Improved Steady Shot, which is almost always during Boss Fight.

I'm still looking for a good answer to this question. One thought I have regarding the decision of whether to reforge crit or haste is based around the "Careful Aim" talent - increases your crit chance with Steady and Aimed Shot by 30%/60% on targets above 80% health.

- The hunter crit cap is ~105%, and we gain ~15% crit from raid buffs, and so the unbuffed crit cap is ~90%.
    - With one point in Careful Aim, our steady and aimed shots will crit ~100% of the time on targets above 80% health if we aim for 60% unbuffed crit.

So I'm thinking of shooting for 60% unbuffed crit and putting 1/2 points in Careful Aim. I would reforge items on which crit > haste to mastery (to maximize mastery) in order to drop my crit down to the 60% point. Any unforged gear remaining would be reforged from haste to mastery

It seems like a lot of effort to balance around a single talent, but I haven't heard good numbers yet how we should reforge crit and/or haste to mastery, so this seems like a reasonable idea until the numbers become clearer.
    Last edited by Nightblinder; 2010-10-13 at 09:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by nechifor View Post
    Hello everyone,

Since the only way to get mastery now is reforging, what is your opinion on what stats to convert to mastery?

Having in mind the MM stats priority: Hit > Agility > Mastery > Crit > Haste, I am thinking in reforging all haste and crit to mastery.

/discuss
    No, for Marks the Stat Priority is HIt>Agi>Haste>Crit>Mastery. Mastery is crap for MM and you'll have a ton of Crit from gemming Agi and the loss of ArP. I have every single piece of gear I can reforeged to turn Crit into either Hit (when needed) or Haste on gear that doesn't have any. With the GCD down to 1sec, instead of 1.5sec, you want your Steady Shot as close to the 1 sec as possible. My Hunter is all BiS or 2nd BiS and after reforging everything I could I still have over 60% crit as Marks before any raid buffs or procs like DBW. Get Haste and ignore Mastery if you are Marks. If you go Survival, which is doing better DPS btw, Mastery becomes good again over Crit.

Quote Originally Posted by Organoth View Post
    No, for Marks the Stat Priority is HIt>Agi>Haste>Crit>Mastery. Mastery is crap for MM and you'll have a ton of Crit from gemming Agi and the loss of ArP. I have every single piece of gear I can reforeged to turn Crit into either Hit (when needed) or Haste on gear that doesn't have any. With the GCD down to 1sec, instead of 1.5sec, you want your Steady Shot as close to the 1 sec as possible. My Hunter is all BiS or 2nd BiS and after reforging everything I could I still have over 60% crit as Marks before any raid buffs or procs like DBW. Get Haste and ignore Mastery if you are Marks. If you go Survival, which is doing better DPS btw, Mastery becomes good again over Crit.
    I reforged for mastery on live and ran few Heroics and spent quite a while at the Heroic dummy, reforged mastery is at 40% chance to proc for me... Wild quiver was my 2nd highest source of dmg in every thing I did.

Organoth may well be right. Reforging all my crit to mastery seemed like an ~200 dps loss compared to not reforging at all in near-bis gear, and I'm still not yet convinced that crit>haste as most are proposing (perhaps due to previous conditioning). Looking at hunters in the top US guilds, most that I have seen thus far are favoring crit over haste, but that doesn't mean it is right.

10+ Year Old Account
    I reforged all the crit I could, to Mastery. Have no idea how it will impact me :P

Im Trying out BM atm tho. (booring as shit atm, and my fingers hurt more than usual)

Quote Originally Posted by Ferledon View Post
    I reforged for mastery on live and ran few Heroics and spent quite a while at the Heroic dummy, reforged mastery is at 40% chance to proc for me... Wild quiver was my 2nd highest source of dmg in every thing I did.
    Just because it's your 2nd highest damage dealer doesn't mean anything. You sacraficed basically every other shot you had to buff Wild Quiver that much. If you are properly geared, as in close to BiS, you can reforge alot of your Crit until you have around 60% Crit chance with our Raid Buffs or DBW procs. The first stat you pick up from that reforging is Hit since it will only take a piece or two to get capped. Second, put Haste on every piece of gear you can, get that Steady Shot as close to 1sec as possible. After that leaving the Crit or turning it into Mastery is up for debate right now. Once we can actually get gear that has Mastery on it, it may well become better.

Also, if you are going to stay Marks pick up a Hyena for the self buff to your Bleed. It's the one raid debuff your are most likely not to have. If you really want to stick with Mastery give Surv a try, it benefits alot more from Mastery then Marks does.

Quote Originally Posted by Organoth View Post
    Not even close. I've wasted hours fucking around with each stat as my main focus and mastery was about 700 dps ahead of haste. Haste is still the worst for hunters.

Deleted
    So what is the haste cap?

Quote Originally Posted by ZH666 View Post
    So what is the haste cap?
    for marks .. whatever is required to get your steady shot to 1s cast times with imp SS proc. idk what that number is but that is your softcap. btw it takes a lot. earlier we were doing side achievements in ulduar and on hodir in the light beem haste thing + all my haste buffs and iirc bloodlust steady shot was at .9s. i was also gaining focus so quickly i could barely manage it.

i would dump all my focus, steady twice, and the bar was almost full again. so not used to the focus system yet .

Deleted
    1 sec? Thought it was 1.5? :O

Quote Originally Posted by criticism View Post
    Not even close. I've wasted hours fucking around with each stat as my main focus and mastery was about 700 dps ahead of haste. Haste is still the worst for hunters.
    Well your numbers are "not even close" as they are pointless unless tested in a raid. The numbers you can get standing still on a target dummy are not an accurate representation of what you will see in a raid where you will find your self having to move and switch targets. There are some patchwerk type fights, but not many. Even Fester and BQ require you to move.

Haste is good until you can get your Steady Shot cast time down low enough, then you make the switch. We used to do that back in the days before ArP so it's nothing new. Now, getting enough Haste to get it down to a 1sec cast time with no buffs/procs may be too much. Myself I've been getting it low enough to hit 1sec cast time during Rapid Fire. I have to go and look but I beleive that's around the 1000 Haste mark. After that you can stop using it. Plenty of our gear has Haste on it since we we stacking Crit+ArP pieces before the patch. That gives you plenty of Crit to reforge into Mastery.

These numbers will all changes once the Xpac drops since we won't be over-geared with over inflated stats and will also be getting Mastery on our gear.

Quote Originally Posted by ZH666 View Post
    1 sec? Thought it was 1.5? :O
    Got lowered to 1sec with the patch.

I went with mastery and I do about 10k as marks on the dummy , no buffs but my own.

Reforging

Hey all.
    I've reforged all my crit on gear to mastery. Down to 51,5% crit from 66, wild quiver up to 39%.
    What i have noticed, it realy has boosted my dps. About 700 dps increase on a dummy so its pretty nice. About BM- i seem to do less with mastery than just with crit on gear. Also friend of my, who is survival, has his dps boosted after reforging.
    So with my personal experience i must say that reforging is pretty usefull, just BM is quite yet unplayable staying 2-3k on dummy behind other trees.

Deleted
    If you are at 1.5 sec cast time with SS on the dummy (with imp ss), you will most likely go down to one second in a raid condition with 10% haste buff, and heroism/bloodlust and even under one second with RF on during that time.

So you really dont want to have too much haste. Elitistjerks states around 9% haste from gear + talent should just be enough.

---------- Post added 2010-10-16 at 02:07 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by bladekpl View Post
    Hey all.
    I've reforged all my crit on gear to mastery. Down to 51,5% crit from 66, wild quiver up to 39%.
    What i have noticed, it realy has boosted my dps. About 700 dps increase on a dummy so its pretty nice. About BM- i seem to do less with mastery than just with crit on gear. Also friend of my, who is survival, has his dps boosted after reforging.
    So with my personal experience i must say that reforging is pretty usefull, just BM is quite yet unplayable staying 2-3k on dummy behind other trees.

Of course it increases you dps, since you still crit every Aimed and SS due to carefull aim. Peeps need to understand that, and start testing on the dummy without this talent to get valid results.

Deleted
    Yeah. No. I've been asking myself the exact same question as the OP. Well Frostheim from WHU did the math, and it shows that haste is the weakest stat to have.

At the moment its crit-> mastery -> haste. So I tried it out, and it seems to be true. Reforged all my haste to mastery, about 30% chance on the proc, which is fairly awesome. And it crits nearly every time.

Reforging gets expensive if you use it too often, but gladly money isn't a problem for me. So I dare you to check it and also tell you, get your cat out and try it on instance bosses and your weekly bosses.