New Monitor - LCD vs LED

looking for a monitor around the 170 quid mark, found an LG (2350v) LED one, are they worth it at this price? or is LCD so good now that its better to get an LCD one?

Only thing swaying me to LED is that its 5000000:1 Contrast ration @ 1080p vs LCD ~70000:1 contrast ratio @ 1080p and lower power use (LED uses 11 volts)
    1) Load the amount of weight I would deadlift onto the bench
    2) Unrack
    3) Crank out 15 reps
    4) Be ashamed of constantly skipping leg day

5800X | XFX 7900XTX | Prime X570 Pro | 32GB | 990Pro + SN850 2TB | Define 7

What Flawless said, also the "contrast ratio"(or dynamic contrast ratio) advertised means absolutely nothing and are in fact extremely inflated figures created from an inaccurate form of measurement. Contrast ratio is when the brightest white peak of the display is divided by the brightest of black, but what manufacturers do instead is measure with the pixels turned off or in standby which in theory gives unlimited results. With an "unlimited" ratio it all ends up being a numbers game in advertising which can make smaller, lesser known brands looks like they can compete with well known brands even if their displays are inherently worse than those from bigger names.
    Last edited by Nejji; 2010-10-13 at 05:32 PM. Reason: fixed contrast ratio definition

Even though contrast ratio numbers are silly, the fact is that subjectively speaking LED screen has significantly better contrast, especially on night/dark scenes which makes watching movies more enjoyable.

Also LED screens use less power and weights less, which are more big bonus and nice convenience factors.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

Quote Originally Posted by vesseblah View Post
    Even though contrast ratio numbers are silly, the fact is that subjectively speaking LED screen has significantly better contrast, especially on night/dark scenes which makes watching movies more enjoyable.

Also LED screens use less power and weights less, which are more big bonus and nice convenience factors.
    Pretty much what vess said, which is also what the OP could have discovered with Google in less than a minute. As I did

Read the link I posted above, it explains exactly why LED backlights are used, how they work and why they are superior.
    5800X | XFX 7900XTX | Prime X570 Pro | 32GB | 990Pro + SN850 2TB | Define 7

My dad just picked up some LED monitors for his trading station, and they seem to be REALLY bright and colder (color palette wise) than mine. Monitor is really light and has a nice picture, just feels different after using mine for a while. Didn't really like it, but I could probably get used to it.