15+ Year Old Account

"Applying non-critical updates. This will take some time"

?
    I've downloaded the near 5 gig patch, then the stupid cata updater, then the new 1.5 gig patch, and now it keeps saying "Applying non-critical updates. This may take some time". And it keeps downloading random amounts of megs. I exited once, started up, had to download 8 megs before I could play. Then that message came back up.
    I could play again, so I did for a while, then I got terrible latency, so I dc'd. Tried to play again a bit later, and it downloads 12 megs. And then says the same message.
    The hell is this? This is a problem for people with bandwidth limits. And I have a 500 meg daily BW limit. Am I going to have to go through this nonsense everytime I play now? (Yes, I'm aware, satellite internet sucks. Only option where I live.)
    But seriously, how many more times am I going to be required to download random amounts megs without even saying what it's for? And what does "Applying non critical updates" mean?

Check out the directors cut of my project SCHISM, a festival winning short film
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DiHNTS-vyHE

ive have the same problems...keep getting disconnected from wow and getting a blizzvarning all the time....annoying as hell!

Quote Originally Posted by Master Guns View Post
    ?
    I've downloaded the near 5 gig patch, then the stupid cata updater, then the new 1.5 gig patch, and now it keeps saying "Applying non-critical updates. This may take some time". And it keeps downloading random amounts of megs. I exited once, started up, had to download 8 megs before I could play. Then that message came back up.
    I could play again, so I did for a while, then I got terrible latency, so I dc'd. Tried to play again a bit later, and it downloads 12 megs. And then says the same message.
    The hell is this? This is a problem for people with bandwidth limits. And I have a 500 meg daily BW limit. Am I going to have to go through this nonsense everytime I play now? (Yes, I'm aware, satellite internet sucks. Only option where I live.)
    But seriously, how many more times am I going to be required to download random amounts megs without even saying what it's for? And what does "Applying non critical updates" mean?
    I had this happen too. I clicked the little exclamation mark inside the yellow triangle in the lower left corner of the launcher. It said I was behind a firewall. I edited my antivirus to allow the ports wow needs and poof it was fixed.

Hopefully this solves your issue as well.

I found two possible solutions for this problem. First one is that you have to delete files. old world.mpq from two locations. This solution doesnt work for me, since I dont have those two files.
    What I did is next. I downloaded cata retail and started installation over existing one, after some time the launcher downloaded 450 mb extra data and was applying non.critical updates for a 30 minutes. That I got the message that my game is up to date. Can't believe, after 3 days I finally solved this problem. Hope that this will work for the others.

15+ Year Old Account
    The old world mpq files were finally removed by Blizzard yesterday and were unrelated.

The non-critical updates are part of World of Warcraft now, and are done to generate the World of Warcraft/Data/Cache/ directory's contents, namely SoundCache.mpq and others. Once those files are generated, they won't need to be regenerated until the next patch, most likely.

Also, don't necro threads as a general rule. I know you were just trying to help in this case, but still.

Locked.
    Global Moderator | Forum Guidelines