Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Question dell xps 9100 for cataclysm?

Hey all, thanks in advance for any help you can give me.

I'm looking to upgrade to a new computer for the new expansion but unfortunately I don't know much about computers (building my own is out of the question). I'm looking at the xps 9100 from dell and was wondering if anyone can tell me if this computer would work well for WoW. I am a new member so I can't post a link so i'll list he specs below.

Processor: Intel® Core™i7-930 processor(8MB L2 Cache, 2.80GHz)
    Memory: 6GB Tri Channel DDR3 SDRAM at 1333MHz- 3 DIMMs
    Hard Drive: 1TB - 7200RPM, SATA 3.0Gb/s, 16MB Cache
    Graphics Card: ATI Radeon HD 5770 1024MB GDDR5

on sale for $1199 regualar $1499

Thanks again for any help you can give me.

Deleted
    Do it Great system, good price, ultra cataclysm np,

Building it yourself with parts ordered from newegg you could save around $150 and be sure to get quality PSU and motherboard you can overclock on, but it's not a bad setup. Cyberpower or iBuyPower probably will sell you slightly better setup at that same $1200, but it's pretty good deal and will run WoW just fine.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

Deleted
    I agree with Vesseblah here, (I was also hesitant to build a new comp for cata), I was gonna get an xps 8100 for it (some upgrades added to it). But!! the PSU dell gives to their systems is really bad and you can run into some torubles later on... Seeing as you're spending alot on your PC.. you won't want to throw that money away come 4-5years later.

Go to Cyberpower.com / .co.uk (Depending on where abouts you're buying from)

Look at their Intel / AMD desktops (Intel in your case) they show you PRE-built Pc's which you choos, for WoW you will prob only need to configure the GPU and PSU, (For safety copy the same main parts on the Xps system). Check your total,

Reason being is : Longer down the road you will know what to do later, wether it is through forums / asking / reviews or even knowing someone you know. Also to keep WoW in top end FPS / Speeds, you may wanna OC (From what i have been told/and read XPS isn't recommended)

Sorry about the long reply, but i'm in the same situation as you

(Oh and cyberpower do build the system for you, send it to you in 1 big box, aswell as other small boxes that will hold your OS manuals software etc.. They will also OC it for you -Safe- Extreme- if your criteria matches it, and an extra cost). Google is your friend when it comes to these issues.

Sorry in advance if i don't come 100% accurate i'm only working on what i briefly know!

15+ Year Old Account
    Thats a really nice system for $1200. For that much on cyberpowerpc or ibuypowerpc, you could down grade the CPU, upgrade the GPU, get a rock solid PSU and overclock it all done by them. But, dell might be faster at getting it to you. ibuypower is 2-3 weeks, without paying extra for rush services.

System should run wow well (on ultra).

The i7 is overkill for gaming (i5 quad cores cost less and bench the same)

I wouldn't get a dell though. Terrible case design and weak PSUs are the reasons.

Video is a Palit GTS450. Main display is a 24" full HD TV. Secondary display is an ACER 19" lcd at 1440x900.

Good stats, that graphics card is the sweet spot right now, the power per dollar is great. I dont like dell gaming pc's. I think they make great midrange pcs but there high and low ends are not to be desired. Keep shopping.

You can even get an i5-650, those can overclock on stock coolers and be almost as fast as i7s.
    http://www.orphanguild.com/ - SWTOR Guild US West Coast PvP

15+ Year Old Account
    i5 750 760 is far better investment.

like above posters stated, i would build your own computer as manufacturers skimp on some products which is why they can sell them deceptively cheap
    "I'm glad you play better than you read/post on forums." -Ninety
    BF3 Profile | Steam Profile | Assemble a Computer in 9.75 Steps! | Video Rendering Done Right

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by llDemonll View Post
    i5 750 760 is far better investment.

like above posters stated, i would build your own computer as manufacturers skimp on some products which is why they can sell them deceptively cheap
    Although i agree building ur own is alot better value than buying prebuilt, some people who have busy lives/schedules just want to order it and go, as apposed to spending time to put it together etc. All in all, for the price, its a decent buy, and you will be able to play cataclysm on ultra.

Quote Originally Posted by Warchief94 View Post
    Although i agree building ur own is alot better value than buying prebuilt, some people who have busy lives/schedules just want to order it and go, as apposed to spending time to put it together etc. All in all, for the price, its a decent buy, and you will be able to play cataclysm on ultra.
    I would suggest paying the premium and going with alienware, cyberpower, or a company that is dedicated to gaming pcs with a good warranty.

Quote Originally Posted by Dion04 View Post
    I would suggest paying the premium and going with alienware, cyberpower, or a company that is dedicated to gaming pcs with a good warranty.
    When buying from Alienware, 30% of your pricetag comes from the fancy case. There's no point paying for that kind of premium unless you have a license to print money.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

15+ Year Old Account
    alienware is the biggest waste of money you could buy, and in the end it's still a dell.
    BF3 Profile | Steam Profile | Assemble a Computer in 9.75 Steps! | Video Rendering Done Right

Deleted
    For those who don't get that, Alienware is owned by Dell

Alienware still builds all of their own products, they have their own building just like before. The dell 'sellout' was motivated by distribution channels that dell has.

Alienware warranty is amazing.

I still advocate building it yourself, my response was toward someone who just wants to buy a gaming machine. If your gonna throw down, then throw down.

15+ Year Old Account
    if by amazing you mean 'mediocre', then yes their warranty is amazing. to me a warranty means 'if it breaks, i get my money back', not 'if it breaks, we will replace it with the exact same product that broke in the first place or give you a few options to redeem the credit another way through us'

and if you're gonna throw down, the last thing you do is buy premade. you can throw down on a computer you build yourself and get the same thing as the most expensive alienware for the cost of the least expensive alienware. if you throw down, at least be smart about it.

Quote Originally Posted by llDemonll View Post
    if by amazing you mean 'mediocre', then yes their warranty is amazing. to me a warranty means 'if it breaks, i get my money back', not 'if it breaks, we will replace it with the exact same product that broke in the first place or give you a few options to redeem the credit another way through us'

and if you're gonna throw down, the last thing you do is buy premade. you can throw down on a computer you build yourself and get the same thing as the most expensive alienware for the cost of the least expensive alienware. if you throw down, at least be smart about it.
    I believe the alienware warranty is amazing because when my alienware computer broke, I had a technician come out and repair it within 18 hours. I spent a total of 5 minutes on the phone before hand. Good luck buying a car with your flawed definition of warranty.

If you read who I quoted, instead of being blinded by your hatred, that person want to just buy it and not have to put it together. Of course putting it together yourself would be cheaper, thank you captain obvious. So if the said person wants a hard core machine, already put together, I suggest leave it to companies that specialize in gaming computers, not toshiba, dell, hp...

Thank you, and good day sir.

15+ Year Old Account
    there is no difference in what company puts it together, if HP and alienware build the exact same computer you wouldn't know the difference.

the OP is trying to get a quality computer for a good price, something alienware doesn't do. yes, we saw he doesnt want to build his own, but we still must push that because companies like alienware are ridiculous in the way they rip people off in terms of price/performance.

@OP get the dell

15+ Year Old Account
    Let's not argue brands. That falls into the same category as PC vs Mac or AMD vs Intel or AMD vs nVidia. It is a bannable offense. Feel free to state your opinion and move on. Yelling back and forth is where I have to start warming up the banhammer.

Deleted
    Coming back to the core question then: Yes, it'll work excellent. Will be a good deal

I bought essentially the same computer about 6 months ago, just a wee-bit older i7 chip (860 @ 2.8GHz), and it works like a dream on WoW. It is overkill for WoW, imo, but I wanted the fastest I could get with my budget. I bought it from their outlet site where people return their purchases and got it for 750 dollars instead of the retail price. When I did get it, I replaced the PSU with a 600W. I have never had any problems with it. It sucks alot of air in (but is extremely quiet) so you have to blow it out once a month if you live in a dusty environment like I do. I only run it on default video settings as I don't care for the extreme detail of Ultra video settings. (Gives me a headache for some reason.) When I did run it on Ultra video settings, not once did it bog down.

I have the same video card, HDD and 8GB of RAM (same spec of RAM). I am very pleased with my purchase.