Some MM Questions

Ok so I've been working on my MM rotation (if you can even call it that with focus now, it's more of knowing when to push which buttons than knowing what order to push them in) and I have a few questions for people. I've been doing about 4.3-4.7k on a target dummy, and 3.8-4.2 during an actual fight with some movement. (Both these numbers are higher when I cast CDs like Rapid Fire or my Engineering Gloves enchant) These numbers seem low to me.

The rotation I've been using is basically

Open with Serpent Sting -> Chimera Shot -> Steady Shot spam until Chimera Shot is off CD -> Chimera Shot -> Steady Shot spam until Chimera Shot is off CD (-> Aimed Shot if it's no cast time by now) -> Chimera Shot etc.

Now, my first question is this: Should I be working Arcane Shot into my rotation, or is the DPS increase better just from spaming Steady Shot and getting Aimed Shot up that much more?

Second: Is there anything else I should be working into my rotation that I'm not? I read that Kill Command is not worth the focus on these forums already.

My character sheet is here: http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...7jin&cn=Zuldim

I'm not the best geared player out there I know, but this still seems low to me. Thanks to anyone who helps!

Edit: The armory isn't showing my reforged items, but I have enough mastery reforged to the point where I have about ~ 30% chance of procing Wild Quiver.
    'Twilight's Hammer' is an anagram for "Siw tarme Hmgt Hil"

10+ Year Old Account
    You should be pressing Arcane Shot whenever you can't cast an instant Aimed or Chimera, just make sure your Focus is over 50 by the time Chimera is off of CD again. That's more of learning your regen rhythm than anything.
    Last edited by ASO; 2010-10-13 at 11:28 PM.
    "WoW is a game about upgrading your stuff." - Ghostcrawler

Quote Originally Posted by Cilraaz
    anachronistic hypocrites
    Oh noes! We're time traveling hypocrites!

Deleted
    Why wouldn't you use arcane shot?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Issyle View Post
    Why wouldn't you use arcane shot?
    Old habits die hard?

For the OP: http://elitistjerks.com/f74/t105901-...ies_cataclysm/
    "WoW is a game about upgrading your stuff." - Ghostcrawler

Quote Originally Posted by Cilraaz
    anachronistic hypocrites
    Oh noes! We're time traveling hypocrites!

Try this rotation;
    Serpent sting > Chimera > Arcane > Steady > Steady > Arcane > Steady > Steady > Chimera > Arcane > Steady > Steady > Arcane > Steady > Steady > Chimera > Arcane> and i think you get the pattern by now.

Weave in Aimed Shot when it procs.

I found this maximizes dps while keeping just enough focus for emergency shots. On top of that, it will keep Improved Steady Shot up almost infinitely.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vashdakari View Post
    Try this rotation;
    Serpent sting > Chimera > Arcane > Steady > Steady > Arcane > Steady > Steady > Chimera > Arcane > Steady > Steady > Arcane > Steady > Steady > Chimera > Arcane> and i think you get the pattern by now.

Weave in Aimed Shot when it procs.

I found this maximizes dps while keeping just enough focus for emergency shots. On top of that, it will keep Improved Steady Shot up almost infinitely.
    this is pretty much the rotation i'm using as MM, except as a BE i can arcane torent and squeeze in another arcane shot here and there. i topped out at 8k dps on the lvl 60 target dummy with only self buffs and Hunters Mark.

Deleted
    my current rotation seems to be serpent > Chimera > Arcane x2 > Steady x3 > Arcane 1-2x ((depending on how fast those steady before got cast)) > Chimera > Steady 2x > arcane 3x > Steady 1-2x > Chimera > perhaps an Aimed shot off or a kill command > Arcane shot > Stead 2x . . .

and with that I'v topped around 9.4k dps on heroic dummy slowly going down to 8.5k dps
    and on heroic Fos,Pos,Hor bosses 12k top down to 11k dps flat till end

the annoying part is.. you can do basically like same dps by skipping chimera and serpent sting and even perhaps aimed and kill command and do like maximum 1000 less dps at the best...

right now master auto shots steady shots, stands for like 85% of total damage and if you remove those other special shots global CDs and focus costs you can basically end up doing 95% of your normal damage by JUST using Steady shot and arcane shot togheter with normal long cds like rapid fire and call of the wild thou ofcourse..

NERF auto shot damage% of total damage NERF Steady shot% of total damage REMAKE the mastery rating for MM since its just more auto shots comming in.. and pretty much unintresting, and finnely BUFF aimed shot to where it should be considered without procc beeing 3 sec cast that prevents all auto attacks further steady shots and cost 50 focus that 2 steady shots used instead would have highered to 75 focus total witch in turn could been used to even more daamge as 3 arcane shots. total loss of dps would be 7k crit VS 2 auto shots missed 4-8k + 1-2 steady shoys 5-9k + 75 Focus that could been used else where like 3 arcane shots 7-8k crits each self buffed (( yes.. arcane shot freaking does more daamge then Aimed shot some of you time same goes for engerie wasted on serpend + keeping it up with chimera = less dps then using pure arcane shots.. . ..

hunter dps isnt OP neither under powered but its rotation and proccs relativly unforgiving nature in skipping cause of too low damage is just boring and then need to fix it..

I found tonight that my DPS went up by about 50% by the end of the night as I got more comfortable with the rotation and my regen.

Quote Originally Posted by 3clipse View Post
    I found tonight that my DPS went up by about 50% by the end of the night as I got more comfortable with the rotation and my regen.
    Tonight we raided for our first time since 4.01 hit live and yeah I'd have to agree, I became more comfortable with it when I practiced in a live raid environment. I still have a little trouble with managing all the burst focus when I pop my first rapid fire at the start of a fight, but once you get used to focus, and arcane dumping, keeping an eye out for the AS proc, etc. its not bad =)
    Last edited by Shoot-; 2010-10-14 at 08:31 AM.

Dreadlord
    15+ Year Old Account
    seems really weird for me to push 3-4k dps nowadays when it was 7-8k pre-patch

and yes im doing things correctly but still with cooldowns cant pass 4.5k mark, obviously somethings bugged badly on my char, prolly 264 zod or some shit

Quote Originally Posted by tears View Post
    seems really weird for me to push 3-4k dps nowadays when it was 7-8k pre-patch

and yes im doing things correctly but still with cooldowns cant pass 4.5k mark, obviously somethings bugged badly on my char, prolly 264 zod or some shit
    You're definitely not doing things correctly if that is your DPS. I'm above 14k when single-target. Nothing is bugged about your character, that's a poor-man's excuse for anything. :/ You're just not doing something right. I know you don't have the same gear, but there's no reason to be doing that low of dps, especially with us no longer utterly dependent on Armor pen.
    Last edited by Herecius; 2010-10-14 at 08:46 AM.