Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Ret and its gapclosers

Ret has other, more pertinent issues. None of which I will discuss, but the one that seems to be brought up the most seems to be their lack of a gap closer.
    I realize it's recent information, but Blizzard has stated they want to give Ret the ability to cleanse itself and remove Movement impairment effects. That's fine, it's 15% of their mana. They also have Hand of Freedom, which they can choose to give themselves if the situation calls for them to kill the thing they're chasing.
    They -also- have Long Arm of the Law to close a large gap, as well as Pursuit of Justice, making them move generally faster than most other classes, and certainly the class likely kiting them.
    And finally, Divine Shield. While it should never be used in a situation where you're only being kited, it's a powerful defensive CD to get on-target and get healed up to get back on the offensive.

The class' damage-dealing and bursting issues aside, how can anybody rightfully say the spec has issues getting on-target? When they only had BoF and Long Arm of the Law+Pursuit of justice I could see it..But cleansing off snares and roots, for 15% mana, when 25% is restored over 12 seconds..
    It just seems like Rets want to be the best at everything, and I want to see in honesty why that is.
    (This is mostly a response to the mass QQ about ret gapclosing, and wanting to have their Rebuke be a 20 yard range[???])

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Minky View Post
    Ret has other, more pertinent issues. None of which I will discuss, but the one that seems to be brought up the most seems to be their lack of a gap closer.
    I realize it's recent information, but Blizzard has stated they want to give Ret the ability to cleanse itself and remove Movement impairment effects. That's fine, it's 15% of their mana. They also have Hand of Freedom, which they can choose to give themselves if the situation calls for them to kill the thing they're chasing.
    They -also- have Long Arm of the Law to close a large gap, as well as Pursuit of Justice, making them move generally faster than most other classes, and certainly the class likely kiting them.
    And finally, Divine Shield. While it should never be used in a situation where you're only being kited, it's a powerful defensive CD to get on-target and get healed up to get back on the offensive.

The class' damage-dealing and bursting issues aside, how can anybody rightfully say the spec has issues getting on-target? When they only had BoF and Long Arm of the Law+Pursuit of justice I could see it..But cleansing off snares and roots, for 15% mana, when 25% is restored over 12 seconds..
    It just seems like Rets want to be the best at everything, and I want to see in honesty why that is.
    (This is mostly a response to the mass QQ about ret gapclosing, and wanting to have their Rebuke be a 20 yard range[???])
    It's apparent you have never played Ret so I'll just let this slide.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boubouille View Post
    Can you imagine if someone insulted you in a thread, you reported it, and I told you "sorry, wrong thread to be butthurt"?

15+ Year Old Account
    I don't think anyone is complaining about Ret's gap closing abilities after the Cleanse buff.

At least I'm definitely not.
    Global Moderator | Forum Guidelines

10+ Year Old Account
    You answered your own question.
    "Too many people have opinions on things they know nothing about. The more ignorant they are, the more opinions they have."
    -Thomas Hildern

[...]and wanting to have their Rebuke be a 20 yard range[???]
    who calls for 20 yard range?

being off the gcd like other melee interrupts would be a start...
    ...just another dream within a dream...

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Skollvaldr View Post
    who calls for 20 yard range?

being off the gcd like other melee interrupts would be a start...
    It is off the GCD.
    Global Moderator | Forum Guidelines

10+ Year Old Account
    Its because no class is ever happy unless they can rape shit with 1 skill. People will always complain about thier class being weak. Good thing blizzard knows this.

Quote Originally Posted by Requital View Post
    It's apparent you have never played Ret so I'll just let this slide.
    So true. I like how the OP described "gap closers" that require 3 football fields to close a 30 yard distance.
    Quote Originally Posted by Windan
    Being inside the belly of a giant gives one time for reflection. As my body crystallizes I have come to the conclusion that perhaps there are enough heroes in the world. Should I somehow make it out of this predicament I am going to ring that orc's ghostly neck!

eds

E: Deleted old post

10+ Year Old Account
    The problem with long arm of the law is that it can only be active 50% of the time, even if we are never snares/rooted or under Cc that is only a 45% run speed boost half the time. Once you take into account how easy it is to apply snares, roots & Cc and the fact they reduce the paladin to under 100% run speed or 0% while active and you get a problem with reaching your target.

As for having cleanse remove a snare, that is a good start but cleanse costs 18% of a paladins mana (unless they are holy spec). there is also the fact multiple snares can effect a target at a time & some like frost bolt even stack. This means the paladin will run himself completely oom spamming cleanse to stand a chance of reaching the target.

There is also the reason we don't use hand of freedom on our selves very often, that reason is offensive dispels. Hunters, mages, priests, shaman, felhunters, & prot warriors all have them & with the lack of dispel protection or trash buffs to protect it it gets taken off as early as it is applied.

As for why some of us want our interrupt to have a 20 yard range, its because as long as the target knows anything about how to use CC or snare/root we can never get in range to use it. if they fixed the gap closing problem this would not be needed.

So if they really wanted to fix the extreme weakness paladins have with kiting & CC spam they would just make cleanse remove all snares/roots when used on self & make long arm of the law a constant buff.

If you think that is op then you need to look at feral druids because they already have snare/root immunity from shape shifting, a constant 130% run speed, s snare (we don't have that), a sprint/charge (we don't have that either), a better interrupt then ours (theirs adds a +30% mana cost on next spell) a stun on a better Cd that cant be dispelled, & as much dps, burst & survivability as we do.
    Last edited by zcks; 2010-10-14 at 04:02 AM.
    The way balancing for WOW PVP works is allot like American politics.
    1: Be lazy & ignore problems till the yelling is so loud your cant concentrate.
    2: Refuse to do the things you have Said need to be done, then make up reasons why they cannot be done.
    3: Lay the blame for problems on someone else even when it's your fault because you did all of the above.

Quote Originally Posted by Mistgun View Post
    Its because no class is ever happy unless they can rape shit with 1 skill. People will always complain about thier class being weak. Good thing blizzard knows this.
    I'm pretty sure this sums up 90% of the posts here.
    I don't have to have played Ret to understand how the class works and what its limitations are. Yes, Judgement may not be up when you need to use it for Long Arm, and yes, people can layer snares and roots on you, and it may take multiple GCDs and about half your mana to gapclose, but no other class in the game has that sort of option. Your mana generates 25% over 12 seconds, and Cleanse takes roughly 13-15% of your mana, from the duels I've watched and done.

"There is also the reason we don't use hand of freedom on our selves very often, that reason is offensive dispels. Hunters, mages, priests, shaman, felhunters, & prot warriors all have them & with the lack of dispel protection or trash buffs to protect it it gets taken off as early as it is applied."
    What? Not using a gapcloser just because it has a possibility of being dispelled? That logic is horrendous. Should I have not used Cloak of Shadows when it was 90% or less just because Fear still had a chance of going through? Should I not use Shadowstep because I have a chance to get nova'd after doing so?

"If you think that is op then you need to look at feral druids because they already have snare/root immunity from shape shifting, a constant 130% run speed, s snare (we don't have that), a sprint/charge (we don't have that either), a better interrupt then ours (theirs adds a +30% mana cost on next spell) a stun on a better Cd that cant be dispelled, & as much dps, burst & survivability as we do."
    Different classes are different. Do you honestly want to compare yourself to a Feral Druid? I'm not saying Ret or Paladins in general don't have problems, they do. I'm saying in the gapcloser department, they're covered - and the ease of removal of most slows or roots that Rets enjoy (Think of the mana cost as a soft cooldown) for Rets, I'd say it's a fair trade off. About Ret's burst and survivability, I'm not bringing those up. They're issues. Stay on-topic.
    Last edited by Minky; 2010-10-14 at 04:12 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    We don't have issues getting ON target, but rather STAYING on target.

Also, All melee can run at 115% 100% of the time minus Warriors (lol charge/intercept or HL), and some melee run even FASTER than 115% (druids).

Paladins have the single worst TOT of all the melee classes.

Ret Paladins are a joke in arenas; always have been, always will. (minus the two days of 3.0)

Quote Originally Posted by BagOfChips View Post
    Ret Paladins are a joke in arenas; always have been, always will. (minus the two days of 3.0)
    Sure. And they're a joke on 4.0.1 as it stands. I'm just mirthfully appalled by the QQ about their gapclosing and on-target time.

Sure. And they're a joke on 4.0.1 as it stands. I'm just mirthfully appalled by the QQ about their gapclosing and on-target time.
    If you have to blow bubble to get on someone there's something wrong. And even then Warriors / Priests can just dispel it. (Unless I've missed a change)
    I don't consider running 45% faster a gap closer. Maybe if they were immune to snares during it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ronark View Post
    We don't have issues getting ON target, but rather STAYING on target.
    This...we'll constantly be deadzone'd from LaotL while at the same time being a hair out of melee ranged whilst being spammed with instants or dots....then the caster decides to turn quickly...our melee abilities light up for a split second...we press them.

"You must be in melee ranged to..." and little bits of latency keep a combo point class reliant on a %40 rng on our ranged moves to generate points that we can(and will) use to heal.

Not to mention our mastery and hardest hitting ranged move come from procs off auto-attacks.

I hoped on my level 76 paladin to mess around with holy power. All I can say is good luck to all the ret paladins! It was like leveling with only autoattack, judgment, and CS again. Gogo 100% RNG based class!

10+ Year Old Account
    Hey Ronark do you think you could do something about all the idiots saying the class/spec is fine when they even by their own admission don't play it.

That's like if I said the movie old yeller was the worst movie in history even if I had never watched it.

Bottom like unless you have played a class/spec shut the F#ck up about how fine it is because unless you have played it in the situations people are complaining about you have no idea WTF your talking about.
    The way balancing for WOW PVP works is allot like American politics.
    1: Be lazy & ignore problems till the yelling is so loud your cant concentrate.
    2: Refuse to do the things you have Said need to be done, then make up reasons why they cannot be done.
    3: Lay the blame for problems on someone else even when it's your fault because you did all of the above.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zcks View Post
    Hey Ronark do you think you could do something about all the idiots saying the class/spec is fine when they even by their own admission don't play it.

That's like if I said the movie old yeller was the worst movie in history even if I had never watched it.

Bottom like unless you have played a class/spec shut the F#ck up about how fine it is because unless you have played it in the situations people are complaining about you have no idea WTF your talking about.
    Either
    a.) Report them if they are trolling, they will be taken care of.
    b.) Debate with them (CIVILLY!) about their view or opinion- Try "Although you think X is true, it is not, and here is why..."

Quote Originally Posted by zcks View Post

Your signature is so amusing when paired with this post.

On topic though, I'm not sure I see too much of a crisis as some people do. Yeah sure, it's not perfect and it has it's weaknesses but dispel spam is also going to be, if it isn't already, a defunct strategy.
    I'm unsure of this myself but can't ret still get the HoJ talents from Prot and increase it's range making it somewhat of a Blind?