Cool Testing Moonkin Mastery

I spent a bit of time last night reforging different stats on my gear into mastery to see what effect it would have on my dps while beating down on a target dummy. Thought i'd share my results with everyone so here they are in a a youtube video.

Not sure a video is the best format for sharing test results. No offense, but did we need to see 7 minutes of you fighting a target dummy?

Still, thanks for the time you spent testing, at least. I question your conclusions though...

Your conclusion suggests that stat priority is Haste > Mastery > Crit - which I don't necessarily disagree with - but that would (to me) suggest that one should reforge crit into haste on gear that has no haste, and otherwise into mastery. Rather than just, crit into mastery no matter what.

Agree/disagree, and why?

Quote Originally Posted by Kyiran View Post
    Your conclusion suggests that stat priority is Haste > Mastery > Crit - which I don't necessarily disagree with - but that would (to me) suggest that one should reforge crit into haste on gear that has no haste, and otherwise into mastery. Rather than just, crit into mastery no matter what.
    Absolutely - especially when you can reach a magic number of haste (currently 1059 according to Qieth). I reforged spirit to haste on all items without haste (although you cannot see that in the armory). As long as we have infinite mana, haste is by far the best stat.
    I have no idea on crit vs. mastery, though.

Well I'm aware that haste is the top, I was challenging the assertion that crit should always reforge into mastery.

Definately i'd go spirit to haste (or mastery) as well if I were significantly over the hit cap. But i'm not, so I left most of my spirit alone...

Am I the only one disagreeing with reforging crit into haste? Isn't there a massive reduction to the stat when you reforge(like 50% reduction)? So you're saying 50 haste is better than 100 crit? I find this hard to believe.

reforging is 1:1. you donnt lose any. 50crit=50haste
    Amberkintribe Yogg+0 kill 10man.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VuQ1_SjRxaA

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Parasha View Post
    reforging is 1:1. you donnt lose any. 50crit=50haste
    lolwut

---------- Post added 2010-10-15 at 03:51 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by jeffoncom View Post
    Am I the only one disagreeing with reforging crit into haste? Isn't there a massive reduction to the stat when you reforge(like 50% reduction)? So you're saying 50 haste is better than 100 crit? I find this hard to believe.
    100 crit would become 60 crit and 40 haste or something like that. The original stat isn't completely removed.

reforging is only 40% of one stat into another stat, not 1:1

But the 40% that's changed is still 1:1.
    As Snuffle said, 100 crit would become 60 crit and 40 haste. You basically turned 40 crit into 40 haste, which is 1:1. There is no loss in the total stats.

Okay... so how about spirit and hit? Please don't tell me you had 30% hit. Also, did you try NOT reforging gear to Mastery? From what I understand, Haste > Crit > Mastery, but it doesn't look like you did any testing to that effect. Unfortunately, you can't see reforged gear yet on WoW Armory (it hasn't quite caught up with any of the changes 4.0.1 brought yet) but all of my gear I reforged spirit/hit to haste or crit (no piece has sprit, haste, AND crit). I also, in the case of my Spyglass, reforged crit to haste.

I also strongly suggest using a weapon with stats. I haven't seen hard numbers or evidence, but it stands to reason that Nibelung was so good for us before because we were reaching stat caps without the weapon. You're not going to be able to hit your haste or crit cap, but you'll want a weapon that will get you as close as possible.
    Last edited by tilgare; 2010-10-14 at 03:10 PM. Reason: 300 posts! ^_^

every point that is reforged turns into an equal point of another stat. you can only get rid of 40% of the unwanted stat though for a more desirable one. so it is still 1:1 but you cant convert all of the stat. got it? no more avalanche of lies.

i reforged all of my balance druids gear and spent a lot of time on the target dummy. first i converted any spirit/hit to haste that i could. this was an easy choice since the cast time of wrath was increased and i was also way over hit cap. next i tried converting all crit to mastery. i ended up with about 19% mastery and saw a 1-2k dip in dps. last i reverted the mastery changes then converted any crit to haste that i could and ended up doing 11000 dps steadily on the dummy. for now and to me crit looks better than mastery. this might be because dots are critting and also are affected by haste now.
    Last edited by goetz401; 2010-10-14 at 03:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by goetz401 View Post
    every point that is reforged turns into an equal point of another stat. you can only get rid of 40% of the unwanted stat though for a more desirable one. so it is still 1:1 but you cant convert all of the stat. got it? no more avalanche of lies.

i reforged all of my balance druids gear and spent a lot of time on the target dummy. first i converted any spirit/hit to haste that i could. this was an easy choice since the cast time of wrath was increased and i was also way over hit cap. next i tried converting all crit to mastery. i ended up with about 19% mastery and saw a 1-2k dip in dps. last i reverted the mastery changes then converted any crit to haste that i could and ended up doing 11000 dps steadily on the dummy. for now and to me crit looks better than mastery. this might be because dots are critting and also are affected by haste now.
    Math prove that haste>crit>mastery is the way to go. since our mastery is only good 50% of the time vs haste and crit good 100% of the time. The mastery you will aquire will be from couple of gears.

simple math + simple logic = profit

I have also noticed a dip in DPS when reforging into Mastery over Crit. Not as high as 1-2k DPS, but ~600.

Moreover, I love the sexiness of reforging Phylactery of the Nameless Lich into Haste/Crit
    <Hell> is now recruiting!!! ~ <Hell> Recruitment Thread

Armory

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Raynfal View Post
    But the 40% that's changed is still 1:1.
    As Snuffle said, 100 crit would become 60 crit and 40 haste. You basically turned 40 crit into 40 haste, which is 1:1. There is no loss in the total stats.
    But it's not really 1:1, as (ideally) the stat you change to has a higher effective value than the removed stat, making it closer to 2:1.

It's 1:1 from an total stat amount PoV.

If the effective value were kept in consideration, reforging would be completely pointless.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Thalur View Post
    Absolutely - especially when you can reach a magic number of haste (currently 1059 according to Qieth). I reforged spirit to haste on all items without haste (although you cannot see that in the armory). As long as we have infinite mana, haste is by far the best stat.
    I have no idea on crit vs. mastery, though.
    Wait, what? Huh? When did I say anything about that?

There are certain levels where haste will give you another dot tick, but that doesn't matter to this discussion. Haste is undisputedly better than crit and mastery. Of the two latter, they are more or less equal, but crit has a very, very, very small lead.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by huth View Post
    It's 1:1 from an total stat amount PoV.

If the effective value were kept in consideration, reforging would be completely pointless.
    Er, if (for example) 1 point of haste is the same value of 2 points of crit, you are reforging to haste, so effective value is the entire reason you reforge at all. You are forcing in stats that are more valuable from an effective value standpoint?

Exactly. If effective value were considered, you would only get 1 haste for every 2 crit in your example, so it would be completely pointless.