Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Pandaren Monk
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by blizzy View Post
    Umm, you must have been living under a rock to miss all the talk about crowd control in Cataclysm. Yes it's going to be much like vanilla. I like it that way
    Yes and no. I'm a DK in 346 blues. This is what I do when tanking 85 heroics atm:

Dead Mines: No CC needed, though it can help with pirates on the boat.
    Shadowfang Keep: No CC. Trash doesn't hit hard to for it to be needed on a well geared tank.
    Grim Batol: For first half of the instance were trash groups are at 30-50%, I generally don't do any cc since we're aoeing the groups down. A banish or mind control can still be extremely nice though. For the second half of the instance, CC is very nice to have.
    Halls of Origination: Trash is trivial, no CC is needed.
    Lost City: Trash is trivial, no CC is needed.
    Vortex Pinnacle: Here you really do want some CC, because some of the trash is nasty. Doing the elemental packs up to first boss without any kind of cc for elementals is not fun, nor the last humanoid packs before last boss.
    Blackrock Caverns: Whatever, kinda. If I have good cc in the group, I might use it, but it's far from needed.
    Stonecore: Without CC you're in for a rough time.
    Throne of the Tides: Like Stonecore. Doable without CC, but very rough.

So, that leaves us with: 4 heroics where CC only slows you down, 2 where it doesn't really matter much either way, and 3 heroics were you absolutely want CC unless you're prepared to wipe here and there.

This is assuming you have a skilled and decently geared tank. If you're doing randoms and run into a bad tank, any CC is most likely gonna help the group out a lot.

For OP: I imagine 30 sec CD on DnD is very annoying on live if you have dps aoeing from the start, like they've been doing for the last 2 years. For cataclysm though, 19/20 times your DnD CD will be up for every new trash pack. At least until your group outgears the instance by several tiers, pulling 20k+, then it's gonna be a problem again.
    Last edited by Beace; 2010-10-14 at 01:46 PM.

even without crowd control needed the emphasis looks like it's going towards focus fire dps again with aoe dps only on non-elite mobs. similar to what we did in vanilla and tbc.
    that means that even if DnD is on a long cooldown you're still ostensibly the only one pulling threat on those targets(well the healer does, but if you cannot out-threat a healer i think you may need practice tanking just a ....lot)
    this means that in a situation where the dps is aoe dmg your aoe tps will still reign the mobs in for long enough for death to visit them
    it means that in a situation where the dps is single target dpsing your single target threat will hold while your aoe will keep the few other dudes focused on you
    it means that when there is only one mob you have no real use for aoe abilities.

this is the desired effect, stop being bad, stop trying to play the game wrath style. you aoe buttons are not go-to actions, they are situational and should be regarded as such.

if your dps insists on aoe spamming and pulling threat off of you, than that means they are bad not the other way around.

people seem to forget that CC isn't the entire picture in a CC world. in a CC world Focus Fire and single target
    everything takes control as king.

you don't cc two things and than aoe everything else. you cc things and single target burn each mob in turn.
    “He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.”

Quote Originally Posted by BatteredRose View Post
    They're greedy soulless monsters for not handing me everything for my 15 moneys a month!

Yes the CD is long but it's just flavor for my pov.

Ofc it helps on beta to have the decay up but:
    A) not mandatory you can do fine without it
    B) situational, some pull just can't be decayed
    C) we're still very ahead of our fellow tank classes in the matter of aoe threat
    Resistance Is Futile

I haven't noticed. I dig the changes all around, haven't had a single problem with threat or runes being on CD (which I did have a problem with pre-patch). I think its fine. Plus, everything is tuned for 85 so, eh.