Thread: Prot fail

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    I really like the new prot playstyle, even though I still try to mash my 696 rotation.
    But it's just a bit getting used to.

Quote Originally Posted by Astray View Post
    WotLK introduced more things to press and pressing one of the better half of them every 3 seconds was more than enough to keep all aggro in the world.

My point:
    In WotLK it was faceroll, yes. But the time before was definitely not the golden age of skill since protpallies have been so passive it didn't require that many skillfull actions and dropping consecration was not hard.
    I was pressing buttons much more in TBC and Vanilla, having to reapply / switch seals. It is just that the ones I used didn't give me instant threat on every enemy around me. I also had to really think about which stats to go for instead of "lol stam stam stam stam stam stam"
    In WotLK All I had to do was hammer of the righteous / holy shield / consecrate. I literally had to press no more spells.

In TBC and Vanilla I had to use everything I had. I had to use more spells thanks to judgement using up seals, I had to think about what gear to use, I had to watch out for CC because we actually used it then, I had more buffs to choose from and give, and the moves I had I had to use properly, I actually had to target the right mob for things like judgement because I didn't have a move that instantly got me aggro on 4 enemies at once that was only on a 6 second cooldown.
    Yes consecrate did a large amount of threat, but it also used up a lot of our mana so we couldn't spam it, whereas in WotLK we could spam it because of Divine plea, and didn't even have to position it right because of lack of CC.
    WotLK had as many buttons to press as TBC and Vanilla, but we didn't have to use them because it was so damn easy.
    As for having a hard time finding a group, yeah I did when I wanted to pug, because people doubted me. Then I showed them how good I was and it was immensely satisfying. In WotLK They take it for granted that we can tank and it is easy, which is boring and not satisfying at all.

My point:
    In WotLK it was faceroll. In TBC and Vanilla it required much more thought, not only on the right buttons but on gear and stats and buffs, was certainly not passive, having to press buttons as often as you did in WotLK but those buttons weren't instant threat on everything, did require more skillfull actions, you had to be aware of your group members and cc, and dropping consecration required a tiny bit more thought, and didn't do anything for you, therefore was much closer to a "Golden age" as any time in WoW.

WotLK completely ruined the fun, original, interesting feel of the Paladin tank, which had been fairly challenging (as challenging as any class to play in WoW has ever been) and replaced it with a boring, mindless, common, skillless, faceroll button mashing spec that defined WotLK gameplay.

sweet jesus, I wish DKs had some crazy hard hitting abilities. We all know it's gonna be nerfed hard though.

Quote Originally Posted by Astray View Post
    Hi, i started prot in vanilla. I remember having a very hard time finding groups because everyone thought paladins could not tank. We could tank finde, using consecration which did the majority of all thread (+seals, reflective etc.). In TBC paladins could tank even better once again using consecration and some reflective damage, once again not very "active".
    No wonder no one wanted prot paladins a raids, we had no taunt, no avenger shield so no way of ranged pulling, no last stand like mechanic and most of your thread was reactive (Holy Shield 31 pt talent, 4 charges). So even healers had to hold back not to get aggro (well, almost...)

As for good in raids, sucks in 5man. So far I didnt have any problems in dungeons, even against hunters and mages who did over 9k DPS on certain heroic dungeon bosses. The new mechanic feels more dynamic than the old 6-9 rotation, it's not harder or anything, just different and right now i think its a pretty nice change. I also like the random element that was introduced.

---------- Post added 2010-10-15 at 11:16 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Renagade Raven View Post
    My point:
    In WotLK it was faceroll. In TBC and Vanilla it required much more thought, not only on the right buttons but on gear and stats and buffs, was certainly not passive, having to press buttons as often as you did in WotLK but those buttons weren't instant threat on everything, did require more skillfull actions, you had to be aware of your group members and cc, and dropping consecration required a tiny bit more thought, and didn't do anything for you, therefore was much closer to a "Golden age" as any time in WoW.
    Didn't require more thought as you couldn't just do enough threat to keep up with (good) DPS. People just didn't want to have a low threat tank because everyone else had to watch their aggro way more carefully as they would have with a proper tank like a Warrior. Also if one overaggroed he was dead as you have no way of taunting and no hard hitting threat ability. So you could just pray the off tank was on alert and took care of it (taunt, shield slam).

Same with Ret back in Vanilla, why take a broken spec when you could replace that class with an actually DPS class. We also had a Ret paladin, but it was only because he was a nice bloke and in a 40 man raid you could carry a few if you didn't do progression content.
    Freedom of speech doesn't protect speech you like; it protects speech you don't like.
    Larry Flynt (unsourced)

Quote Originally Posted by Nemrod View Post
    Didn't require more thought as you couldn't just do enough threat to keep up with (good) DPS. People just didn't want to have a low threat tank because everyone else had to watch their aggro way more carefully as they would have with a proper tank like a Warrior. Also if one overaggroed he was dead as you have no way of taunting and no hard hitting threat ability. So you could just pray the off tank was on alert and took care of it (taunt, shield slam).

Same with Ret back in Vanilla, why take a broken spec when you could replace that class with an actually DPS class. We also had a Ret paladin, but it was only because he was a nice bloke and in a 40 man raid you could carry a few if you didn't do progression content.
    Not true at all for TBC, though for Vanilla you have a point.
    We weren't as good as warriors, I know. But we could tank. People had to wait a few seconds for us to get aggro, and we had to work hard, but we could do it. I'd much prefer to be considered less viable like we were in Vanilla while still being able to play, than WotLK where we were too easy to play, and everyone chose it.
    Ret was also broken, but if they got lucky with crusader they could do some great burst damage.
    Both were rare and unique in Vanilla, not very good but fun, Both were better in TBC, where they took more skill to play but could play competitively, both were broken and Overpowered in WotLK.
    Cata - I haven't had a chance to play the game since July, so I will have to wait and see. Here's hoping they are competitive and fun, though not overpowered again.

I'am doing just fine.If some retards don't decide and start spamming aoe before i even can get to mobs i do fine.18k shield of right crits are fun.

Quote Originally Posted by JBNagis View Post
    Im not. im doing just fine
    in fact i love it more than i did pre patch
    Have to say I agree with this. I love the new prot, and once you get used to not being an invincible rare earth threat magnet, it's very fun, and very effective. Only ever lose threat when someone opens with all their cooldowns before I can do anything, and that's their mistake, not mine.
    "Like it's MY fault some BIG dragon knocked me into a cave full of LITTLE dragons!"
    Quote Originally Posted by Paperweight View Post
    The community didn't go down the shitter because of the LFG system, the LFG system just introduced you to the shitty community in a horribly effective way.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ouch View Post
    87k crit is my record here. No idea why so many people fail at this new prot its pretty simple. Yet fun. Even my AoE threat seems more powerful in big aoe pulls... consecration was overrated.
    3HP stack SotR is so sexy, i got above an 80k crit on fester (had dropped righteous fury, salved myself, and still got aggro back)
    it wasnt quiet as high as 87k but with numbers that high close is close eh?
    in 5 mans ive gotten over 10k easy with shield of the righteous

1. i HAVE To get out of the habit of using SotR until i get 3 holy power - using it before SUCKS so much.

aoe aggro is a little tougher unless dps hold off just a tad.
    (AS - mobs in in, consecrate, holy wrath, HotR, Judge, HotR (throw in AS > all except holy wrath on cd, need grand crusader procs)
    but yeah if dps start automatically it makes things hard, if they give me till i HW-consecrate it isnt that bad...

ohh btw THORNS yeah its a short buff but have resto's / boomkin, even kittens give it to you right as you pull and it is SO sexy.
    100k damage through the duration with 15 mobs hitting you)

also - i might need to make another topic but Righteous Fury, does not say only holy damage...
    does it work with all damage now?

if so i understand why Theck says Reckoning it is the second highest TPS per talent point.
    ofc need mastery reforged to keep blocks up for reckoning. (block doing 30% damage reduction makes it so sexy on bosses that commonly hit for 10k+ *meaning it absorbs 3k damage, harder hits it absorbs more ofc)

glyph into AS for bosses. forget the glyph name... concentrated... something... but that helps a bit to.

TLR
    i have not been having any trouble tanking on Cokadìn - Darkspear
    (theck recommended 2 points in improoved judgements, i went for one point to pick up Divine Guardian(it works for the WHOLE raid again, and does not misdirect damage, ohh sindy P3 - fester after his frenzy phase when he explodes goo around the room - etc, 20% less RAID damage is sexy)
    Still I cry, tears like pouring rain, Innocent is my lurid pain.