Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account

Dx11 in Cata and 4.0.1

Hello there,

I was reading something on the web, and found something i read some time ago, that DX11 is available in Cata, and just read in the patchnotes of 4.0.1 that its already available.

I just enabled it, and it seem to give me alot beter graphix and FPS (from 35 to 49 fps in and arround crowdy dalaran)

Here is how to:

Expand a shortcut to the WoW.exe with "-d3d11". Alternatively, open the "Config.wtf" in "\ World of Warcraft \ Beta \ WTF" and add the line SET gxApi "d3d11" (with quotes)
    Let me know what your experience is with DX11.

For me it works great/beter , thought id share for ppl that not read it yet

Best thing to do is open the CONFIG.WTF file in /wow/wtf folder (with notepad), and add a extra line SET gxApi "d3d11"

U will se a row of other SET options in the list, just add it, save CONFIG.WTF and open your game.
    Needed to work:

Windows 7
    DX 9 or 10 card (dx11 api is backward compatible).
    Last edited by Azerox; 2010-10-15 at 11:28 AM. Reason: quote tag
    That is not dead which can eternal lie, and with strange Aeons even Death may die.

I enabled it, and I really didn't notice any graphical improvements except not being able to fully out tab out. I remember seeing the photos of DX11 mode back in July with real time reflections in the water, but didn't notice any.
    Last edited by orlfman; 2010-10-15 at 08:28 AM.

Thanks! I hadn't picked up on this myself.

From testing very briefly - and it could all be in my head obviously - it looks like the water gets a tad better reflection? Anyways thanks for the tip

+rep if possible.

Edit: Yes - Tabbing in and out from Fullscreen is MUCH faster. That alone is awesome.
    Last edited by neanoa; 2010-10-15 at 08:35 AM. Reason: Added comment about fullscren.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by orlfman View Post
    I enabled it, and I really didn't notice any graphical improvements except not being able to fully out tab out.
    Weird, i can TAB much and much faster now, not even a delay, like i have windowed fullscreen (but i have fullscreen)

Im on Windows 7 64bits
    That is not dead which can eternal lie, and with strange Aeons even Death may die.

Quote Originally Posted by Morthas View Post
    Weird, i can TAB much and much faster now, not even a delay, like i have windowed fullscreen (but i have fullscreen)

Im on Windows 7 64bits
    Yeah, I'm on Windows 7 Ult 64 too, with an Nvidia 470. When I go to alt tab out, the game is still showing in the background, it doesn't minimize to the panel.

15+ Year Old Account
    Im using the new 260.89 nvidia drivers (beta).

I remember with the 258.96 i had some TAB problems, even a frozen screen after tab with the current stat of my char in it.

Pressing alttab a few times solved it, but with the new drivers np, also nvid 470 <3

So if you do this

""Alternatively, open the "Config.wtf" in "\ World of Warcraft \ Beta \ WTF" and add the line SET gxApi "d3d11""

Then you enable directX11 or what ? Becaus i dont understand the first sentence.
    Der meister

Yeah, I love DX11 mode. Even in Dal it's smooth as butter.

Amazing water to. For anyone who has DX11 enabled, go to Booty Bay around mid-day.

Fantastic Water effects.

80 Kingslayer Shadow Priest - Spirestone
    http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...e&n=Direshadow

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    umm isnt there anyway you can choose dx11 in game? like in the video options tab?
    Wanna know how I got these scars? My father was... a drinker. And a fiend. And one night he goes off crazier than usual. Mommy gets the kitchen knife to defend herself. He doesn't like that. Not-one-bit. So - me watching - he takes the knife to her, laughing while he does it! Turns to me, and he says, "why so serious, son?" Comes at me with the knife... "Why so serious?" He sticks the blade in my mouth... "Let's put a smile on that face!

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by El Pollo Petit View Post
    So if you do this

""Alternatively, open the "Config.wtf" in "\ World of Warcraft \ Beta \ WTF" and add the line SET gxApi "d3d11""

Then you enable directX11 or what ? Becaus i dont understand the first sentence.
    Best thing to do is open the CONFIG.WTF file in /wow/wtf folder (with notepad), and add a extra line SET gxApi "d3d11"

U will se a row of other SET options in the list, just add it, save CONFIG.WTF and open your game.

@Kronoz

No there isnt

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    ok thanks

---------- Post added 2010-10-15 at 09:11 AM ----------

ill just save a new line then? i dont need to remove something to get this done? sorry im not that great at stuff like this hehe
    Wanna know how I got these scars? My father was... a drinker. And a fiend. And one night he goes off crazier than usual. Mommy gets the kitchen knife to defend herself. He doesn't like that. Not-one-bit. So - me watching - he takes the knife to her, laughing while he does it! Turns to me, and he says, "why so serious, son?" Comes at me with the knife... "Why so serious?" He sticks the blade in my mouth... "Let's put a smile on that face!

Deleted
    Hah not again, seriously?

Yes dx11 mode will bring you better fps.

No dx11 mode won't give you better graphics. Same ignorance as in the other dx11 threads about beta/ptr etc.
    The only technology coming with dx11 is tesselation and it's not yet implemented in WOW. Hence you get no visual quality upgrade. Water is same in dx9 as it is in dx11.

Direshadow, how many times are you gonna keep posting the same BS ?

Player/spell reflections were in alpha build IN DX9 MODE (get it through your thick heads). It was removed, and is no longer attainable in any mode atm. Only reflections you get at ultra liquid quality are the lands/and some moving objects (like say zeppelins).

Thanx mortas
    Der meister

Quote Originally Posted by Kronoz View Post
    umm isnt there anyway you can choose dx11 in game? like in the video options tab?
    No, Blizzard have stated this is entirely experimental, therefore they won't make it widely available. The config.wtf edit is stupidly easy and takes a matter of seconds.

I'm not sure about any graphical differences, maybe everything looked a tad sharper and more vibrant. But what you got to remember is that the games engine was written before DX10 so there won't be anything new visually.

For those who still don't know. DX11 is ONLY supported in Windows 7 with a very modern graphics card. I'd recommend enabling it if you can.
    Last edited by Robula; 2010-10-15 at 09:23 AM.

Why can't I edit my config.wtf ?

Even as an administrator, he tells me "access denied"
    Quote Originally Posted by Genganger View Post
    Often I just open the fridge instead of turning the lights on in the kitchen. I like that.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kronoz View Post
    ok thanks

---------- Post added 2010-10-15 at 09:11 AM ----------

ill just save a new line then? i dont need to remove something to get this done? sorry im not that great at stuff like this hehe
    Only add the extra SET line, dont remove any other SET lines.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Morthas View Post
    Only add the extra SET line, dont remove any other SET lines.
    ok thanks will try when i get home

Deleted
    If you wanna see how "awesome" the water looks in some places (it does look nice in others but horrible in these) : go to forlon caverns or dalaran sewers. Best place to see the issues that it currently has. Milk ftl.

Quote Originally Posted by Pope View Post
    Why can't I edit my config.wtf ?

Even as an administrator, he tells me "access denied"
    Right Click on config.wtf, click "Properties".
    Go to the "Security" tab and click "Advanced". In the new Window, click "Owner" tab and select your username from the list and click "Apply". Go to the "Permissions" tab and click "Change Permissions". If your username is there, click Edit and give yourself Full Control. If your name isn't there, click Add and then type your username in.

does anyone noticed lower FPS if u run firefox in bckground...is it only me or my radeon HD 5750?
    and random short freez less then 1 sec (anoying tbh)