Enhance Flame Shock/Earth Shock macro

Is it a good idea to make a macro to cast Flame shock> Earth Shock > Earth Shock > Reset now? Since, haste no longer shortens the duration and we're going back to a FS, 2xES rotation.

A cast sequence macro should work fairly well for it but you might want to put in a modifier to reset it back to the start in case you switch mobs, etc, and need to FS again.

We have nothing left in our rotation. Why not just use your head?

Have a good way to write this macro?

you sure FS is even worth it, you get +25% crit on ES

---------- Post added 2010-10-15 at 12:47 PM ----------

the way to write macro

Code:
    #showtooltip
    /castsequence Flame Shock, Earth Shock, Earth Shock
    IIRC that's how those pesky CS macros work

Edit: I forget how to make it reset after combat, but I'm sure someone from the new {Ask it! Macro Edition} thread will help
    Last edited by conqq; 2010-10-15 at 04:53 PM. Reason: Added link

I am Murloc!
    15+ Year Old Account
    There really is no reason to make a macro for this. On a sustained boss fight, you only need the initial application of FS at the start of the fight anyways.

Deleted
    Code:
    #showtooltip
    /startattack
    /castsequence reset=16/target Flame Shock, Earth Shock, Earth Shock
    Starts attacking if you aren't already.
    Rotation: FS->ES->ES
    Resets after 16 (pick any value >12 and <18) seconds or if you switch targets.

gl

Quote Originally Posted by Dynati View Post
    There really is no reason to make a macro for this. On a sustained boss fight, you only need the initial application of FS at the start of the fight anyways.
    I'm pretty sure that's the case for Elementals, but definitely not for Enhancers.
    Last edited by mmoce86fe97048; 2010-10-15 at 04:56 PM.

I am Murloc!
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by o03o View Post
    I'm pretty sure that's the case for Elementals, but definitely not for Enhancers.
    Ah, I wasn't even thinking about enhance =p

Quote Originally Posted by o03o View Post
    Code:
    #showtooltip
    /startattack
    /castsequence reset=16/target Flame Shock, Earth Shock, Earth Shock
    Starts attacking if you aren't already.
    Rotation: FS->ES->ES
    Resets after 16 seconds or if you switch targets.

gl

Might want a longer reset because you're not going to get all 3 off in a row and it won't be perfect

Quote Originally Posted by Dynati View Post
    Ah, I wasn't even thinking about enhance =p
    Had that particular macro on my Enh Shammy forever now. Nice to get my shocks down to a single button basically, what with all the other procs/priorities we have to pay attention to.

Quote Originally Posted by MilitantCasual View Post
    Had that particular macro on my Enh Shammy forever now. Nice to get my shocks down to a single button basically, what with all the other procs/priorities we have to pay attention to.
    only one proc to watch anymore really, I hope they fix the searing totem soon

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by conqq View Post
    Might want a longer reset because you're not going to get all 3 off in a row and it won't be perfect
    Ah, didn't think of that. Listen to this man, OP.

Just gotta play around with rotation and determine the amount of time it takes to go through all your shocks & set that as the reset

So, you're saying go with the 18 second reset or even longer than that?

Quote Originally Posted by jace5869 View Post
    So, you're saying go with the 18 second reset or even longer than that?
    It's all about practice

Setting the reset to 16 ir 18 would be pointless as everyone in the thread is making a common mistake. The reset=18 means the castsequence resets to the start when you go 18 seconds with out hitting the button for the macro NOT 18 seconds after you activate it the first time. It is an idle time out and will not work for trying to match the FS cd.

Before the spell list (but always after the conditionals), you can also specify reset conditions to start the sequence over before it reaches the end. The basic syntax for reset conditions is:

reset=n/target/combat/shift/alt/ctrl

Where n is the number of seconds of inactivity after which the macro should be reset. In other words, if more than n seconds pass without the macro being called, then the next time you call it the sequence will start from the first spell. Note that this is not the time since the first spell in the sequence was cast, but rather the time since the macro was last called (to cast any of the spells in the sequence). This is a very important distinction because it means you cannot use a reset timer to account for cooldown.

As to the other conditions, "target" resets the sequence when you change targets; "combat" when you leave combat; "shift", "alt", and "ctrl" when you activate the macro with one of those keys depressed. You can specify any number of these conditions separated by slashes as shown.

Example:

/castsequence reset=10/shift Spell 1, Other Spell, Some Item
    http://www.wowwiki.com/Making_a_macro

I'd go with something like

Code:
    #showtooltip
    /startattack
    /castsequence reset=combat/target/shift Flame Shock, Earth Shock, Earth Shock
    Combat and target are usually pretty redundant (you rarely drop out of combat and go back into combat with out switching targets) so could be left out. Shift allows you to manually reset it to the start any time you want while holding shift while hitting the macro.

As far as our rotation being simple, this can be as much about saving buttons as it is about simplifying the rotation.
    Last edited by evan_s; 2010-10-15 at 05:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by evan_s View Post
    Setting the reset to 16 ir 18 would be pointless as everyone in the thread is making a common mistake. The reset=18 means the castsequence resets to the start when you go 18 seconds with out hitting the button for the macro NOT 18 seconds after you activate it the first time. It is an idle time out and will not work for trying to match the FS cd.
    Thanks for the edit evan, so what do you recommend?

---------- Post added 2010-10-15 at 01:45 PM ----------

What about cooldown on flame shock, how would it handle the shift?

The other resets and the cast sequence its self should do a pretty good job of matching the duration of FS. If you switch targets or leave combat and reenter it will reset back to the start of the sequence and cast flame shock. Because of the shock CD casting 2 earth shocks after FS means 18 seconds of CD and since the sequence loops back around to the beginning when you get to the end it will FS then ES twice and then FS again. There are situations where this will screw up and cast the wrong shock. For example, Twin valks in ToC, when you have to switch to the other valk to burn the shield down and then switch back. First it will cast FS when you switch to the new target, which isn't ideal as earth shock will do more damage to the shield than FS would because of the time it takes for the dot to tick all it's damage. It will also FS the original valk when you switch back which might not be the best thing if you just refreshed FS before the switch and it still has 6+ seconds left on the dot.

With the changes blizzard made, it isn't possible to make an add-on or macro that checks to see if FS is up so you have to just get close by planning for normal situations. The other option is make single button but use modifiers for casting different spells. Eg casts ES normally but shift click casts FS instead. You manually control it so it's as accurate as you can be but only needs 1 button.

So, the macro can be helpful in a lot of scenarios, but is not 100% optimal for everyone. I could see having it reset on target switches would be a decrease for things like HM PP and add switching to oozes. Normally, you;d expect the adds to be down before the full duration of Flame Shock has ran it's course, and then the macro would reset when going back to PP and would probably refresh your FS.

One other thing, I watched a video on youtube of someone showing off enhancement and it looked like he used a macro for Stormstrike and Lava Lash. The link to the video is http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aycx7...layer_embedded and you can see it at the 6 minute mark.
    Anyone know of this macro or if it's even viable?[COLOR="red"]
    Last edited by jace5869; 2010-10-15 at 07:43 PM.

The only thing I could think of that it would be would be a simple cast sequence macro but because of the differences in their CDs (8 vs 10 seconds) it would only work for relatively short fights. There shouldn't be any way for a macro or add-in to select the ability to used based on what is off cd.