Freshly dinged lock

Hey guys I just turned 80 right before patch this is my first chance to be able to play, I'm wondering what spec should I play as I see many demo locks running around but I have no haste whatsoever. Also what add on would be best to use to keep dots up? All advice for a new lock would be appreciated! I'm a little lost with the patch.

10+ Year Old Account
    i got my lock to right before the patch as well. i had her with demo and she does pretty good. i also got dual spec the other day and went demo/destro. destro seems very nice atm. huge crits. well, if u count close to 14K soulfires huge.

and i dont really use any class specific addons. just recount.

I also have dual spec, I have never played destro.. ever =X. I leveled affliction and now started using demo which seems fun but I wouldn't mind trying out destro I see many guides on here about it. Seems like it's our #1 dps spec? I just have a hard time keeping track of dots under the enemy tab.

10+ Year Old Account
    actually, i think the dots are a bit more obvious now. and u can increase the UI scale so u can see them better. and yea, i think that destro is our top dps spec. for the moment..

First thread and I've learned something new already. Did not know you could increase ui scale.

I'm having too much fun with Demo in heroics at the moment. Our AoE damage is insane. I love seeing big numbers fill my screen.

And I'm not doing too bad in raids either. Pulled 11k the day before yesterday in VoA.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerraw View Post
    I'm having too much fun with Demo in heroics at the moment. Our AoE damage is insane. I love seeing big numbers fill my screen.

And I'm not doing too bad in raids either. Pulled 11k the day before yesterday in VoA.
    with demonology?

Demo is fun if you can manage your pet properly, the new attacks Felguard has helps alot with aoe, hand of guldan pretty fun too.
    Once your better geared Destro seriously is the better way to go, in the ICC 5 mans i pulled out 11k dps on a boss where i had to manage my aggro alot thx to a crappy tank. (decent gear but wasnt used at all to new talents and didnt listen to me)
    Just play your favorite spec, but dmg wise afflic is worse then ever in heroics

10+ Year Old Account
    seems afflic (as always) is more of a pure pvp spec. its not really even good for lvling now, i would venture to say. since u get felgaurd at lvl 10 now.

Well I'm dual specced demo, destro. Demo is more fun atm at low lvl gear as aoe is nice for heroics. What professions should I pick up, Alchemy is one.

10+ Year Old Account
    professions really depend on what ur driving for. mine has herbalism and incription.

You must be making some bank right now with glyph prices lol. I'm thinking alchemy/engineering. One thing I find annoying is blizz power auras don't show demo procs >

+1 for ForteXorcist, ive used it for months and couldnt play without it

and yes, blizz power auras dont show Molten core procs.. but you can use real power auras to do that if you want (highly reccomended!) I use it for a number of things, showing when HoG is off CD as well as Meta

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ProteinShake View Post
    You must be making some bank right now with glyph prices lol. I'm thinking alchemy/engineering. One thing I find annoying is blizz power auras don't show demo procs >
    exactly why i got herb and inscript on her. they are low-ish lvls atm, like 155 inscript and 180 herb, so im not makin a ton. lol.
    i personally love blizz's power auras.

Quote Originally Posted by randomone05 View Post
    with demonology?
    Yep, Demonology. It's great fun with Hand of Gul'dan being added to the rotation along with the new Bane/Curse system. And Doomgaurd and Infernal are actually useful now.

10+ Year Old Account
    Sorry, but not a fan of those bars indicating your dot durations... Instead i use inline-auras on my buttons, kinda handy to keep track of pushing which button when, tbh:P as with specs, destro is fun, although you have to watch your threat a lot with most tanks, demonology is kinda neat for aoe, but if you are on low haste it can feel kinda slow to react to your environment. Affliction is pretty much the other way around, and is fun in my opinion because of the large amount of debuffs to keep up, picked it up after a long break, and started practising (my first time seriously) in PvP with it.

10+ Year Old Account
    i will have to investigate demo again, then. im partial to the color Orange, so Destro has me hooked with all the pretty orange and reds flyin around lol.

Demo has a fair bit o orange and red also. Nice big red and black felguard, incinerates/soulfire orange goodness, orange-ring-o-death (hellfire) etc.

Demo used to be boring for me but now with the changes that have been done it is a hell of alot of fun in PvE and suprisingly pretty effective in PvP. Those stupid melee never know to get out of that purple swirl at my feet when my fel guard bro storms them for lots of pretty crits.

Deleted
    If you don't like bars for dots/CD, I suggest TellMeWhen (it has customizable icons with timers for dots/buffs durations and CD instead).
    I've icons for Corruption/Immolate/BoD/CoE durations, Meta/HoG cooldowns and MC/Decimation procs.