10+ Year Old Account

Retri against stunlock

Hey guys keep in mind everyone that this is not a QQ post. All I wanna say that I wanna hear your opinions about where retribution

stand atm in pvp. I don't mind that they nerf our defensive abilities like lowering the duration of bubble and no sacred shield.

However, my only problem is when getting stunlocked by rogues or any good stuns that there is no way to break it. I will be forced to

either trinket it or bubble which of course has 5 min cd and we don't have the freedom that remove stuns anymore Any ideas what is

the best solution as retri? discuss please.
    Last edited by Velshin; 2010-10-17 at 05:02 PM.

cant stunlock anymore as rogues so... yea

10+ Year Old Account
    Hmm not anymore? well I mean stuns in general are very dangerous for us now we can't remove it with our freedom

anymore with the old talent of divine purpose now we have to relay on trinket or bubble to avoid stuns and I have to

say warrior new stun is really dangerous.

Deleted
    Health pools gone up pretty nicely, and it helped here.

I usually eat the stun then pop tank trinket+Divine Protection macro.

Rather than that, if more than 2 people are dpsing you in a stun, you're pretty much dead anyway (most classes are).

Spec into Protector of the Innocent.
    Spec into Pursuit of Justice.
    Get stunned.
    Get Holy Power.
    Use Word of Glory on self + Divine Protection (-20%) macro. Note: bonus healing from PotI
    Have Ret aura on.
    (a) Crusader Strike.
    (b) Then 1pt. Word of Glory. If Rogue hasn't exhausted, repeat (a).
    Proceed to curbstomp Rogue.

Follow this outline. "Losing offensive power" (read: Templar's Verdict) grants equally powerful survival right now. You can easily outlast a Rogue. Just don't try to blow him up.

As Ret stands now, we can survive quite well at the lack of insane DPS. But once we've exhausted someone, we can totally ramp up. Hand of Light procs allow for both worlds at once.

In BGs, camp buildings. Walls (read: anything to Line of Sight with) allows for stupid good heals. That 1 second~ Flash of Light plus PotI is great healing.

Roll a warrior if you want hulk smash. Roll a Retribution Paladin if you want spec ops tactics that when played right owns face. Remember: HP at 75%+ first, then be offensive.

I can't say I'm a seasoned arena pro. I always thought of arena like glorified chess. I've played BGs for months maybe years. Lose concept of time playing WoW, y'know? Anyways, this methodology works for me.

Deleted
    I posted this on another forum, I'm sure it will help you out

If you wanna do PvP, here's a protip:

Stack resilience. And lots of it. Gem for it as well, you'll be better off.

In 4.0.1, they increased the flat damage reduction on resilience point for point, but in turn removed the critical strike and manaburn reduction portions of the stat. Additionally, in the last hotfix, they buffed the damage reduction from resilience by +50% on top, which means resilience is the best scaling stat in the game and will make you ridiculously hard to kill.

My shadowpriest has 1700 resilience right now, and I can tank 3 people in bgs at the same time. The tooltips aren't updated to reflect the latest hotfix, but simple math can tell you how effective it is. It currently says 48% damage reduction and then you add 50% which is 48*1.50 = 72% flat damage reduction.

Shadowform adds another 15% and I got 47% physical reduction from armor... well you get the picture!

Also the more you stack, the better it gets. I only put resil in all my yellow sockets, but I could reach 1800-1900 resil or so if I regemmed all my gear (considering this atm).

GL HF killing me. My offensive power is of course lowered, but it still enough to do the job, thanks to our new scaling coefficents etc. I melt 1400 resil prot paladins in about 40 seconds (including all their gay stuns/silences etc)

It's even more ridiculous for healers. It takes a raid to kill you whenever you go up and around 1500 resilience, so they are officially god status right now if they got the resil memo.

As a ret, you can do the same. Your templars verdict and Hammer of wrath hits ridiculously hard right now (I'm getting 30k TV crits on the bossdummy selfbuffed, and 22k HoWs) so sacrificing strength for resil will only be beneficial. Since we no longer have instant flashes and sacred shield, you need to rely a lot on Word of Glory to keep you up.

Reforge all the crit on your pvp gear to Mastery (its great for pvp, horrible for pve), use your Holy Power on Word of Glory and Hand of Light procs on TVs, since WoGs used with Hand of Light doesnt proc eternal glory (unless you really need the heal tho, then go ahead and use the HoL for healz)

Here's a great spec to use for bgs
    http://wowtal.com/#k=8HHegpu.a6d.paladin.3xX96I

I specced into Protector of the innocent (holy) and Eternal Glory (prot), as well as glyphed Word of Glory.
    This means every time you cast WoG on yourself, it heals you for 3727 extra from PotI (this portion can crit), as well as have a 30% chance to refund the Holy Power. Its incredibly potent, as a 3HP WoG can crit for 14k + 5k from PotI, and if you are lucky with RNG you can chain these 17-20k heals back to back several times.... lol!

Glyphs are personal pref, but 40% magic reduction on DivProt (which is a 1 min cooldown now, and doesnt cause forbearance) is exceptionally good vs all these wizards running around.

Stack resil, and have fun!
    Last edited by mmoc9e8e7fdb19; 2010-10-18 at 03:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Guilday View Post
    Spec into Protector of the Innocent.
    Spec into Pursuit of Justice.
    Get stunned.
    Get Holy Power.
    Use Word of Glory on self + Divine Protection (-20%) macro. Note: bonus healing from PotI
    Have Ret aura on.
    (a) Crusader Strike.
    (b) Then 1pt. Word of Glory. If Rogue hasn't exhausted, repeat (a).
    Proceed to curbstomp Rogue.

Follow this outline. "Losing offensive power" (read: Templar's Verdict) grants equally powerful survival right now. You can easily outlast a Rogue. Just don't try to blow him up.

As Ret stands now, we can survive quite well at the lack of insane DPS. But once we've exhausted someone, we can totally ramp up. Hand of Light procs allow for both worlds at once.

In BGs, camp buildings. Walls (read: anything to Line of Sight with) allows for stupid good heals. That 1 second~ Flash of Light plus PotI is great healing.

Roll a warrior if you want hulk smash. Roll a Retribution Paladin if you want spec ops tactics that when played right owns face. Remember: HP at 75%+ first, then be offensive.

I can't say I'm a seasoned arena pro. I always thought of arena like glorified chess. I've played BGs for months maybe years. Lose concept of time playing WoW, y'know? Anyways, this methodology works for me.
    ya, this is has been my tactic against alot of melee. i'm spec'd for eternal glory atm tho, rather than protector of the innocent. 1v1 or even 2v1, i can sometimes outlast simply by wog spam, while letting my white swings, crusader strikes, and whatever else i'm throwing out wear them down, rather than going for the burst of tv. let them wear themselves out, while you remain at or above 3/4 health. once they get down to 50% or less, thats when i'll start switching to tv on hol procs or after having my 3hopower refunded after a wog.
    of course, have ran across a few arms warrs that are really pro, in both bgs and dueling, where i can't play defensively. it becomes a nuke-fest, seeing who can pump out more damage the fastest. really lovin' that arms is starting to be a challenge to us if played right. pre-4.0 we had the defensive capability to outlast them. was pleasantly surprised when dueling one who proceeded to rip my face apart several times, until i too went full offense.

all in all, we seem to still be very anti-melee. i love the fact that rogues have notoriously fared pretty poorly against us in the past, and still seem to be that way. blood dks will give me trouble, not so much unholy tho (not sure if i've ran across a frostie yet in pvp, dont think i have). oh, the new feral can shred us quite nicely if our cd's arent up. glad to see melee getting back into the game overall.

our freedom + stun removal, while i miss it, was a little unfair. i mean, most every other spec in the past had the option of either eating the stun damage, or blowing their trinket. nothing wrong with us being on equal footing in that regard, and, don't forget, its still a little unbalanced in our favor since we do still have bubble.