Page 1 of 634
... LastLast

[TV] The Walking Dead (*Spoilers*)

Anyone else going to watch this when it airs on Halloween? Having done a little searching about it, it actually looks kinda groovy to me. Course all that could change when I watch it, heh

Mod Edit: remember this is for discussion of the TV show and not the comics! if you wish to discuss the comics please go to the following thread. http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...%28Spoilers%29
    Last edited by Elementium; 2011-11-05 at 12:46 AM.
    Orks, Space Marines, Rift (<---- Links for pics BTW)

15+ Year Old Account
    I've read the first few books in the comic series and it's amazing.

While the trailer does make it look a bit like your typical zombie movie i hope that once the series get's rolling it'll dig into the heart of the comics (or brains! PUN!) and show more of the human side of a Zombie apocalypse.

If you haven't read the comics I won't spoil it but if they stay on the right course this could be a very dramatic show with lots of twists..

I guess another concern is that it's aired on AMC? so I'm not sure what that means for the gore/language/adult themes part of The Walking Dead. I would have preferred FX to be honest.

10+ Year Old Account
    I've seen the trailer for it, and sir, I do declare myself to be hooked. Been reading since it first came out, can't believe it's being made into a live action series. The actors they've got for the parts as well really look the part...and the zombies look deliciously fetid, it's going to be a good series

15+ Year Old Account
    I just hope they get it right.

The Comics show how people would REALLY react to a zombie infection type thing. Normal people don't dual wield shotguns and run into an army of zombies.. they panic, they run, they go insane with grief.

10+ Year Old Account
    WTB a Frank West cameo.

OT: Not into zombie films, really.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ayirasi View Post
    You're right. Blizzard shouldn't have temporarily banned you. They should have sent a couple employees to your residence to Jay and Silent Bob you.
    Quote Originally Posted by ragnarokvr1 View Post
    I saved a man's life today by performing brain surgery and removing a tumor the size of a quarter from his frontal lobes. God damnit I wish I wasn't ignorant though, cause I have no idea what an LSAT is. I don't know the radius of the Moon either.
    I took part in the LSAT/Cataclysm release date thread.

Deleted
    The comic is completely emo and badly drawn piece of crap. But it's still relatively entertaining. The trailer looked cool though.

Quote Originally Posted by Howdyho View Post
    The comic is completely emo and badly drawn piece of crap. But it's still relatively entertaining. The trailer looked cool though.
    "emo"
    "badly drawn"
    "piece of crap"

Excellent review skills sire.

Perhaps mention why you think it's so badly written and drawn instead of slating it to follow with "but it's still relatively entertaining."?
    Personally, I love the artistry in TWD comic. It's raw and effective. To me it portrays the completely unfinished atmosphere of the protagonist's situations. Nothing is ever solid or safe for long.
    About "emo", as mentioned above 'real' people wouldn't dual-wield sawn-offs with ammo belts and medi-kits strapped to their extremities. Well, at least I wouldn't expect them to, would you? that said I'd imagine the majority of people would panic, cry, run yada yada yada. Happy-go-lucky written content wouldn't fit. At all.

Can't wait for the live action series, as long as AMC don't "kiddy-friendly" it too much.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Andunae View Post
    "emo"
    "badly drawn"
    "piece of crap"

Excellent review skills sire.

Perhaps mention why you think it's so badly written and drawn instead of slating it to follow with "but it's still relatively entertaining."?
    Personally, I love the artistry in TWD comic. It's raw and effective. To me it portrays the completely unfinished atmosphere of the protagonist's situations. Nothing is ever solid or safe for long.
    About "emo", as mentioned above 'real' people wouldn't dual-wield sawn-offs with ammo belts and medi-kits strapped to their extremities. Well, at least I wouldn't expect them to, would you? that said I'd imagine the majority of people would panic, cry, run yada yada yada. Happy-go-lucky written content wouldn't fit. At all.

Can't wait for the live action series, as long as AMC don't "kiddy-friendly" it too much.
    It's a forum, you don't expect people to write full reviews here.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'll definatly be watching it ASAP, it's a great premise, and I'm about to borrow the origional comics from a friend, so I can read them all before I see it. but when you consider it's directed by the guy that did Shawshank Redemption, it's staring that guy from Teachers and the music is done by Bear McCreary(greatest composer on Television, end of discussion) there's no way I could miss it.
    Check out the blog I write for LEGENDARY Indie Label Flicknife Records:

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.
    https://www.flickniferecords.co.uk/blog/item/30-blog-30

15+ Year Old Account
    It is a place for posting constructively however.. Not saying your post isn't within the realm of acceptable but still..

I noticed the art style isn't really insanely detailed like most of todays highly photoshopped comic images (which isn't bad it just doesnt have the detail computers give). It's more of a pen to paper black and white style. It's understandable why you don't like it.

As for emo.. I don't get it.. obviously if Drama in TV shows isn't your thing you won't like it but "Emo" only extends as far as teenagers wearing eyeliner crying into microphones about how they bleed black and write in their diaries with their blood. Which is black.

When it comes to TV and movies all it is is a heavy does of drama and tragedy. It's how people would really react in a highly fictitious environment.

Although I can say.. reading the comic really got me thinking (and showed me how) Zombies that are slow as hell can spread their zombie disease so far and fast. Also, I think the scariest part is that (not specifically dealing with the story of the comic) a large amount of the actual deaths are people killing other people accidentally and on purpose.

man, I love zombie stuff.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Elementium View Post
    It is a place for posting constructively however.. Not saying your post isn't within the realm of acceptable but still..

I noticed the art style isn't really insanely detailed like most of todays highly photoshopped comic images (which isn't bad it just doesnt have the detail computers give). It's more of a pen to paper black and white style. It's understandable why you don't like it.

As for emo.. I don't get it.. obviously if Drama in TV shows isn't your thing you won't like it but "Emo" only extends as far as teenagers wearing eyeliner crying into microphones about how they bleed black and write in their diaries with their blood. Which is black.

When it comes to TV and movies all it is is a heavy does of drama and tragedy. It's how people would really react in a highly fictitious environment.

Although I can say.. reading the comic really got me thinking (and showed me how) Zombies that are slow as hell can spread their zombie disease so far and fast. Also, I think the scariest part is that (not specifically dealing with the story of the comic) a large amount of the actual deaths are people killing other people accidentally and on purpose.

man, I love zombie stuff.
    About the art style: Well, it's not really that bad but compared to manga all the comics made in US look like crap. In fact, computer generated / photoshopped comics are even worse than this. It's not that bad tbh.

And about the emo thing.. The double suicide thing + constant suicides / attempts really wasn't entertaining.

Quote Originally Posted by Nazdreg View Post
    Anyone else going to watch this when it airs on Halloween?
    Bitch! We don't get it till November 5th!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark
    I would kill a old god.

About the art style: Well, it's not really that bad but compared to manga all the comics made in US look like crap. In fact, computer generated / photoshopped comics are even worse than this. It's not that bad tbh.

And about the emo thing.. The double suicide thing + constant suicides / attempts really wasn't entertaining.
    Quite surprised your replies didn't branch off into the realm of "/rarg" - thank you. Refreshing when that happens
    Yeh I understand your opinion on US & CGI vs. Original Eastern Manga styles, I find it translates directly into the respective animations as well, that said, TWD isn't 'like' many Manga I've encountered before. It's got such a different atmosphere. As you pointed out, themes like suicide/murder are prevalent, despair is rife. Even the darkest of Eastern Manga don't generally linger on the above too much. I guess what I mean is the ideology behind the two comic styles are vastly different. In the same way the cultures that spawned them are.

I like the rough, unfinished style. Possibly due to personal taste or maybe simply because it's 'different. I dunno ^^

10+ Year Old Account
    I'll be recording this on my DVR to watch at a later time. With The Walking Dead and Pride and Prejudice and Zombies, I think we have some good zombie action coming around.

I've read the first few books in the comic series and it's amazing.

While the trailer does make it look a bit like your typical zombie movie i hope that once the series get's rolling it'll dig into the heart of the comics (or brains! PUN!) and show more of the human side of a Zombie apocalypse.

If you haven't read the comics I won't spoil it but if they stay on the right course this could be a very dramatic show with lots of twists..

I guess another concern is that it's aired on AMC? so I'm not sure what that means for the gore/language/adult themes part of The Walking Dead. I would have preferred FX to be honest.

If you haven't already/want too, you can Google The Walking Dead and check out the section AMCs site has on it. They have a little "making of" about the series, and was cool to watch. I haven't read any of the comics but I'm -really- looking forward too this show. In that video they said they are really trying to stick to the comics.

Also, @the last part with possible censoring by AMC, the director basically said he's surprised with the amount of stuff they've been able to get away with.

If you want to check out the making of I talked about, here's a link. It's a tad over 17 minutes, pretty cool to watch.

http://www.amctv.com/originals/The-W...d=628200502001

I look forward to it a lot. I started reading the comics last year and I love them, I like how it is much more character driven than other zombie stories and actually continues beyond a two hour movie.
    Quote Originally Posted by pvt Huson View Post
    I want to make an 80ft golden dong and get terrorised by fisher price shoggoths
    “You heard the man,” Jaime said to Ilyn Payne. “Find a nice long spear, and shove it up his arse.”

15+ Year Old Account

Understandable. Much of that is opinion though.

I grew up watching Anime non-stop.. From Pokemon,cardcaptors,digimon to Darkstalkers, Gundam, Cowboy Bebop. While I appreciate the skill it takes to draw in those styles I'm kinda tired of it. I guess I've grown out of it and even grown a little sick of everyone trying to emulate (right word?) the Japanese art styles.. no one is very original anymore.

I think American comic artists do work just as hard though, it's not like the Japanese don't use Computers to make their art better. Also in terms of style I tend to aim towards the "Cartoony but serious" style. I just read a short little comic by Bruce Timm (The guy who co-created Batman:The Animated Series) and his style is fantastic and the writing is amazing, especially when he's not writing for kids :P

As far as all the suicide stuff goes.. I stopped hanging out around emo kids awhile ago.. I don't naturally connect Suicide with emo. It's a subject that is far too serious to be immediately attributed to something whiny teens do.

Also.. Japanese culture has a long history with suicide in their culture. Although I guess we're getting (by we I mean me) a little off track here.

Also.. Japanese culture has a long history with suicide in their culture. Although I guess we're getting (by we I mean me) a little off track here.
    Hah, badly worded from me. The content within eastern Manga generally strays away from themes such as Suicide is more what I meant. In my experience anyway. But yeh.. going off on a tangent.

For anyone who is interested, there is a pre-air screen of TWD already available. Not 100% sure what MMO-C's policy is on "unauthorised content" so I will hold off linking or the time being. That said, it's on one of the most popular TVshow torrent sites.
    Will be watching it tonight and posting a 1-10 style first impression, without spoilers of course

does anyone know if it will be uploaded on to Hulu or some other site. I have to work that night and I don't have a DVR.
    404's retarded cousin
    Quote Originally Posted by Asterend09 View Post
    I jizzed in my pants over 9000 times
    ^^^taken way out of context for teh lulz^^^

Deleted
    "Emo" only extends as far as teenagers wearing eyeliner crying into microphones about how they bleed black and write in their diaries with their blood. Which is black.
    What is this?

People that take it more than a fashion are silly.
    Last edited by mmoc30b4190132; 2010-10-22 at 04:43 PM.