The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ciddy View Post
    Does this make Sasha the last survivor from Woodbury? I think it was made official that all the "unknowns" from Woodbury got gunned down by the Governor or killed by him when he went back there to burn everything down. Either that, or they joined Rick's group after Woodbury went to hell, and they died at the prison during the Governor's assault.
    Sasha is - and if I understand what you're asking about the remaining Woodbury survivors, the Governor gunned them down in Season 3.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Neteyes View Post
    At this point, I'd consider going up into the mountains and look for sort of a natural fortress with an easily defensible entrance, a small escape path and start building from there. I mean, the amount of potential zombies in an urban environment is ridiculous compared to if you were in the wild.
    There is some good conversation about this topic within this thread - several pages back. Essentially, yes, that would be the smartest thing to do. However, the show couldn't survive it because when the group is static, it gets boring (Hershel's farm and the Prison). But yeah, that's exactly what I would do - fuck Washington.

I am wondering what the writing in the episode was about when in the town on the side you can see in big letters

Wolves Not Far

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Nye the Spy View Post
    Who said the hound is dead? You never saw him die on screen.
    The hound?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Jibjabb View Post
    I am wondering what the writing in the episode was about when in the town on the side you can see in big letters

Wolves Not Far
    I saw that too on the wall inside, figured it was just graffiti - but it seems like more (love the stuff that is left unanswered).

Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    I saw that too on the wall inside, figured it was just graffiti - but it seems like more (love the stuff that is left unanswered).
    You'll figure out what it means soon. Remember, the heads and torsos that fell out of the truck the the rammed it had "W" inscribed on their heads as well.
    Blizzard White Knighting is not allowed

The hound?
    We were relating to a character in Game of Thrones, see the quotes. However it is not important to the discussion at hand.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Nye the Spy View Post
    You'll figure out what it means soon. Remember, the heads and torsos that fell out of the truck the the rammed it had "W" inscribed on their heads as well.
    Figured this was related and I've a few guesses as to what it'll be. Those torsos were mutilated way too meticulously (and in large number) to be ignored.

- - - Updated - - -

Sasha is - and if I understand what you're asking about the remaining Woodbury survivors, the Governor gunned them down in Season 3.
    Was talking about the other survivors. The Gov killed off his attack force, but more residents were relocated to the prison afterwords. In season 4 many (most?) of them die due to the illness/subsequent attacks, the rest are presumed killed during the Prisons fall/on the road afterwords (the bus). Suffice to say whether a few survived and made it into the wild, they are minor enough characters that we won't see them again as they are likely still in Georgia, whereas the main characters all moved on to Virginia.

There is some good conversation about this topic within this thread - several pages back. Essentially, yes, that would be the smartest thing to do. However, the show couldn't survive it because when the group is static, it gets boring (Hershel's farm and the Prison). But yeah, that's exactly what I would do - fuck Washington.
    That aside, you would still have to forage for supplies and/or need enough room to plant/hunt for food. While it is possible, even feasible, in the realm of the show it is not. In the show the zombies are clearly nomadic, they continue moving towards sound, movement and other stimuli even long after it leaves their range of perception and seem to have some kind of heightened sense regarding living creatures (which is why you can't simply stand still and throw a rock to distract them).

The idea behind this is that eventually they'll catch up to you, especially if you continually draw attention by making your way to and from a location. Now obviously the show removes a sense of realism by "manufacturing zombies" in large quantities, common sense tells us that eventually you'd kill everything in the local area but that's hard to decisively say for ourselves. But under these (largely made up) rules, the threat would still persist, and would have to find some way to block them out long term (walls, tree forts, something). On the other hand, you cannot deny that going toward a heavy population center isn't exactly the smartest thing to do either. More people = more zombies!

Biggest problem is that the further out you are, the further you need to go for resources, which also consumes more resources (gas, food and water for travel). Likewise the further out you are in the wildnerness, the less likely you are to have room to fortify anything. Sure you could find a cave, but those generally have one entrance/exit point. Not a great idea when a horde could come knocking at your door. Also there is a problem of light/space/etc. On the other hand, you might find a large field with good sightlines, but it would take a whole hell of a lot of work to build any kind of "fort" using hand tools alone.

Also, after rewatching that, I think they actually did give Tyreese the headstabbing to keep him from reanimating. You don't actually see it happen, but I noticed that Michonne unsheaths her katana and has a sad look on her face once they stop the van, put Tyreese on the ground, and realize that he's gone. So I think we can assume that Michonne did it offscreen.

Yeah. The prison was in danger of getting boring and really would have if not for the whole "flu spread" story. We almost forgot about the Governor for a while there. One of the things that makes the show exciting to me is that the group can never get too comfortable or be completely safe anywhere. The search for such a place is kind of the "carrot on a stick" part that keeps things interesting. We find a place, get sort of comfortable, then BAM. Shit happens, and we have to move on.

Although I certainly wouldn't give a shit about "interesting" in a real-world zombie apocalypse. Boring would be fine with me. xD
    Last edited by Ciddy; 2015-02-10 at 04:18 AM.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Archimtiros View Post
    We were relating to a character in Game of Thrones, see the quotes. However it is not important to the discussion at hand.
    Ok, good. I'm very familiar with the Hound from GoT, but was racking my brains trying to remember the reference to TWD - serves me right for not reading the post that it was referenced in.

Was talking about the other survivors. The Gov killed off his attack force, but more residents were relocated to the prison afterwords. In season 4 many (most?) of them die due to the illness/subsequent attacks, the rest are presumed killed during the Prisons fall/on the road afterwords (the bus). Suffice to say whether a few survived and made it into the wild, they are minor enough characters that we won't see them again as they are likely still in Georgia, whereas the main characters all moved on to Virginia.
    Ah, ok - thanks.

That aside, you would still have to forage for supplies and/or need enough room to plant/hunt for food. While it is possible, even feasible, in the realm of the show it is not. In the show the zombies are clearly nomadic, they continue moving towards sound, movement and other stimuli even long after it leaves their range of perception and seem to have some kind of heightened sense regarding living creatures (which is why you can't simply stand still and throw a rock to distract them).
    You're totally right, and it would never work for the series. Eventually, as it did with both Hershel's farm and the prison, it would just boring routine.

The idea behind this is that eventually they'll catch up to you, especially if you continually draw attention by making your way to and from a location. Now obviously the show removes a sense of realism by "manufacturing zombies" in large quantities, common sense tells us that eventually you'd kill everything in the local area but that's hard to decisively say for ourselves. But under these (largely made up) rules, the threat would still persist, and would have to find some way to block them out long term (walls, tree forts, something). On the other hand, you cannot deny that going toward a heavy population center isn't exactly the smartest thing to do either. More people = more zombies!

Biggest problem is that the further out you are, the further you need to go for resources, which also consumes more resources (gas, food and water for travel). Likewise the further out you are in the wildnerness, the less likely you are to have room to fortify anything. Sure you could find a cave, but those generally have one entrance/exit point. Not a great idea when a horde could come knocking at your door. Also there is a problem of light/space/etc. On the other hand, you might find a large field with good sightlines, but it would take a whole hell of a lot of work to build any kind of "fort" using hand tools alone.
    Aside from the above, great point about resources being tougher to get the further out you are. They'd have to find a Utopia or something with terrific resources, or become self-sustaining such as a farm, or no real fort would work.

Rick was right about Noah's development being too close to the trees, just from a fortifying perspective.

- - - Updated - - -

Although I certainly wouldn't give a shit about "interesting" in a real-world zombie apocalypse. Boring would be fine with me. xD
    Lol, boring would be just fine with me, too.

Good episode. I'm glad Tyrese got to star in an episode before he died. The fevered hallucinations were particularly well done. You can't take this show too seriously because the plot hinges on one person doing something incredibly stupid each week, and it just happed to be Tyrese turning his back on a walker this week. Once the fever kicked in it was over; he probably actually died from blood loss but man those POV scenes of Tyrese going in and out of consciousness were epic. Overall just good episode even if the timing and location was a little random in the story.

Also, after rewatching that, I think they actually did give Tyreese the headstabbing to keep him from reanimating. You don't actually see it happen, but I noticed that Michonne unsheaths her katana and has a sad look on her face once they stop the van, put Tyreese on the ground, and realize that he's gone. So I think we can assume that Michonne did it offscreen.
    I'm sure they did. There is absolutely no reason they wouldn't, and they are more than familiar enough with the world than to simply forget to. It's one of those things where the idea becomes so readily accepted after being seen so many times that they don't have to show it happening and it can simply be inferred.

Praise.
    Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Deuse View Post
    Good episode. I'm glad Tyrese got to star in an episode before he died. The fevered hallucinations were particularly well done. You can't take this show too seriously because the plot hinges on one person doing something incredibly stupid each week, and it just happed to be Tyrese turning his back on a walker this week. Once the fever kicked in it was over; he probably actually died from blood loss but man those POV scenes of Tyrese going in and out of consciousness were epic. Overall just good episode even if the timing and location was a little random in the story.
    Yeah don't get me wrong. I complain about the nature of his death (simply because I find it incredibly unrealistic) but I was happy with the show overall. I think it drug on a bit, but the scenes were done very well, especially with the groups efforts to get him "home".

Just watched the episode. Sort of mad at myself for reading Nye's spoilers on here. Gonna have to get more willpower to stop myself. Sort of disappointed they killed him off, since they are just reinforcing more peaceful people can't survive even in a large group like this. Episode dragged on quite a bit, and while I liked Tyresse, it wasn't worth 30ish minutes spent dealing with his death, IMO.

I didn't understand why the groups weren't closer together maybe I missed it in the episode?

Finally, they need to stop having zombies/anything really sneak up on people. There is no real ambient noise anymore, anything moving will be fairly loud. No matter how engrossed you are i a picture a zombie shambling towards you will be more then loud enough to get you out of your stupor. This is especially annoying when they are in the woods/forest. A zombie will pop out 5 feet from them like they couldn't hear it stepping on every leaf/branch/etc on the way there.

What was with the bodies cut in half with their arms off? Looked on the pages before, seems to be something they will explain later.

Did anyone notice the gate zombies the one who got its head off looks so happy and carefree before it got killed?
    Last edited by Faltemer; 2015-02-10 at 09:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Faltemer View Post
    Just watched the episode. Sort of mad at myself for reading Nye's spoilers on here. Gonna have to get more willpower to stop myself. Sort of disappointed they killed him off, since they are just reinforcing more peaceful people can't survive even in a large group like this. Episode dragged on quite a bit, and while I liked Tyresse, it wasn't worth 30ish minutes spent dealing with his death, IMO.

I didn't understand why the groups weren't closer together maybe I missed it in the episode?

Finally, they need to stop having zombies/anything really sneak up on people. There is no real ambient noise anymore, anything moving will be fairly loud. No matter how engrossed you are i a picture a zombie shambling towards you will be more then loud enough to get you out of your stupor. This is especially annoying when they are in the woods/forest. A zombie will pop out 5 feet from them like they couldn't hear it stepping on every leaf/branch/etc on the way there.

What was with the bodies cut in half with their arms off? Looked on the pages before, seems to be something they will explain later.

Did anyone notice the gate zombies the one who got its head off looks so happy and carefree before it got killed?
    I think they split up so that their eggs arnt in one basket.

"Would you please let me join your p-p-party?

Quote Originally Posted by Mapathy View Post
    I think they split up so that their eggs arnt in one basket.
    Ya i got kind of got the impression that it was to avoid another terminus, so if something happened to ricks group the other group could help and so one group could look after judith. Though it was probably just so the writers could focus on a smaller group like they've been doing for the past season :P.

Quote Originally Posted by bmjclark View Post
    Ya i got kind of got the impression that it was to avoid another terminus, so if something happened to ricks group the other group could help and so one group could look after judith. Though it was probably just so the writers could focus on a smaller group like they've been doing for the past season :P.
    Yea, it felt forced, even if they separated it was clearly like half an hour from each other which makes zero sense.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Everything Nice View Post
    To add to this, the show has already established that walkers are noisy. They make themselves known at every turn. Heck, even in that very same episode when they parked the car: There was a walker stuck locked in one of the vehicles and it immediately started groaning at them and tapping the window. That walker would've been a lot easier to miss than the one that killed him. Likewise, pretty much every walked they've come by starts groaning, tapping, clawing, or in other ways make noise and take action as soon as they spot prey.

The fact that the child zombie in this episode didn't make a noise wasn't the issue for me. It was the fact that it had the impulse control to stand still looking at him before lounging. Why? Since when do walkers just stand around silently admiring their prey? At pretty much every other encounter they immediately start going after you, whether that be shambling, crawling, or in whichever way they're capable.
    Yea, most of the zombie deaths only happened because these particular zombies were super quiet and smart comparatively, which just doesn't work.

I am sure it is a flawed plan, but I always wondered why the group doesn't just go to some island near the coast or in a lake or something and set up shop. The zombies seem to not deal with water in a very good way...

And as a solution, the only way I could accept a walker death on the top of my head would be when someone's cornered. Like, several walkers with back to an alley. But the problem here is... They already made the mistake of making the walkers too easy to combat. Prime example of this would be Tyrese when he was protecting Rick's daughter.

He single-handedly fended off all the walkers around the shed, proving that one could easily take on a small horde of them. While this makes sense within the universe, the fact that they cemented this just means they will have a much harder time justifying any zombie death. If you can just push walkers over and so easily defeat 8 of them while surrounded...

Well there's no going back from that. I feel that the walker's "power level" should be such that they're relatively harmless when alone, but when they are grouped up and surrounding you, you're basically dead meat. If being surrounded by a horde isn't a death sentence anymore, they've really written themselves into a corner.
    Well there are a lot of things you can contend with it. Tyreese (pre-fatality episode) was a big, powerful man; with desperation driving him. Also, at this point in the series, anyone who has survived so far has to have a tremendous survival sense which extends to combat as well (the fact that people make head shots with handguns while moving from 50 yards). Obviously some of it is overly dramatized but the whole point of The Walking Dead is that the zombies are in fact not the central focus of the story, nor are they the major threat. I feel like this point is made much more clear in the comics but even in the TV show you start to realize around season 3/4 that The Walking Dead are the survivors, and the greatest threat to them are other people. The zombies are simply a backdrop.

Anyways, back on point, I can accept Tyreese's martial powers, even in some of the episodes where he does some crazy shit, because that's who he is. Gentle soul or not he is a survivor and has the will to push himself forward to survive, even against insurmountable odds. Unfortunately that only makes his death all the more ridiculous.

They really should have simply had him go down fighting. Would have solved every major complaint. Sure you could say "well he was so strong at other times" but at least going down fighting, you can say he made a mistake, he got overwhelmed protecting Noah, or he just simply failed. That happens in life no matter how adept or powerful you are. But to have him go out because he was too busy spacing out at a wall is just poor story telling. I feel like this kind of inconsistency becomes an issue any time you have multiple writers (which happens with most/all TV series), but that doesn't excuse the lapse.

*Keep in mind also that as time goes on the zombies are only decomposing further, which would actually make them slower and easier to deal with. This doesn't extend to those killed more recently, but that would be a minority group by far.

10+ Year Old Account
    I hope the zombies start mutating, the slow easy to kill ones are getting boring fast :S

I saw Sunday's episode and thought it was pretty terrible. Basically a recap episode with some really overworked/cringey dialogue. Over exposition is still a major issue with this series.

The show is lacking gruesomeness and desperation. It's kinda dull.

And as a solution, the only way I could accept a walker death on the top of my head would be when someone's cornered. Like, several walkers with back to an alley. But the problem here is... They already made the mistake of making the walkers too easy to combat. Prime example of this would be Tyrese when he was protecting Rick's daughter.

He single-handedly fended off all the walkers around the shed, proving that one could easily take on a small horde of them. While this makes sense within the universe, the fact that they cemented this just means they will have a much harder time justifying any zombie death. If you can just push walkers over and so easily defeat 8 of them while surrounded...

Well there's no going back from that. I feel that the walker's "power level" should be such that they're relatively harmless when alone, but when they are grouped up and surrounding you, you're basically dead meat. If being surrounded by a horde isn't a death sentence anymore, they've really written themselves into a corner.
    The explanation for this is over time they get so much better at it. Tyresse also talked about how he walked into 10-20 of them when he was mad his girlfriend got killed and just killed a ton of them by himself. There is a really clear point in the comics where this is shown, and it might be coming up on the show in a season or two.

If you are in a house, with 5+ by yourself I could still see it as a threat. Since you might back nito a room thinking it is a good place to defend yourself then trip/find a dead end/find more walkers. Also when people are involved, IE Rick's group is fighting or running from other people it is more understandable for them to not hear/see zombies and get surprised.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    I saw Sunday's episode and thought it was pretty terrible. Basically a recap episode with some really overworked/cringey dialogue. Over exposition is still a major issue with this series.

The show is lacking gruesomeness and desperation. It's kinda dull.
    The recap lasted maybe 3-4 minutes total of the whole episode, I would even say a bit less. I didn't care too much for the episode either, but that's because it felt out of place. Some shows can't/shouldn't do something outside of the norm of the show.

I think they will get more and more desperate. Last half season was them finding others/mission oriented. Now it is back to survival. They are on the road with no supplies, so desperation will quickly hike back up.

God no, that made Resident Evil so unbearable. It went too far.
    not a fan of the Las Plagas?

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    The episode was bad, to put it bluntly. Too much time on showy, dreamy effects and screen transitions to hammer home an episode mostly filled with hallucinations of previous characters. They could have written something much more fitting, much more meaningful, and much more poignant for him to die. Once again ninja zombies strike with their ability to move soundless in an otherwise empty house where you would hear every noise possible.

Too much reality bent, characters out of character, and poor writing to set up their events sometimes. I just don't get it. About the only part of the episode that reinforced the concept without being bad was Rick and Glenn discussing killing people and essentially stating how things are. Tyrese's acid trip to death drew that point out and ultimately made it meaningless. The entire last 10 minutes of the episode were similarly meaningless.

It did show that they still tried to take care of their own, I like that they tried to cut his arm off, but they didn't even try and stop the bleeding or do anything remotely intelligent to prevent him from dying. Uggh...it was just a mess of an episode. I'm glad it is over. Very weak start for the 2nd half of this season. But hey....alexandria safe zone here we come. They are back on track to DC.

PS - not to mention zombies on this show flip flop between legions of stealthy ninjas and super powered monsters at the drop of a hat. Tyrese is a gigantic man. Even bleeding from a large wound and being on edge emotionally, we would have sneezed and dropped that zombie to the ground. The whole 'pinning him to the wall thing' was ridiculous. Then after giving us an intentionally icky moment by using his hand as bait, he ferociously wrecks its head with a rock.

300 lb Man can bash heads in with a rock...cannot push off a <100lb bag of bones. Oh ok.
    Last edited by Kelimbror; 2015-02-10 at 03:11 PM.
    BAD WOLF