Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Waaldo View Post

And spoiler if you are not 100% caught up to the comic #137

Also, kind of an oddity that I found, but Carl was 7 years old when the series started. Then it was like 2 years up until Negan, then a 2 year time gap. So Carl is 11 or 12? He doesn't seem like an 11 year old. I feel like they just made him 16 out of nowhere to have his age fit better with the story.

Carl looks abit like a oneeyed Skrillex imo. Also - the frontpage teaser of comic 141.....

Quote Originally Posted by Archimtiros View Post
    I can't say for certainty but it is common (especially in comics) to have overly young protagonists forced into adult situations. It actually is one of the main thing that turns me off to most anime because its incredibly unrealistic, but I digress.
    I think it can be pretty cool and slightly scary when young teens acts like hardened criminals. Not a big fan of animees myself - but i think it worked very well in a tv show like The Wire, particular 4th and 5th seasons. Watching a 14 year old kid with a stonecold face walk up and execute a streetgangster was shocking but also a pretty precise statement about Baltimore in decay.

How much longer do you think Rick and the crew will go on? Surely the show will be coming to an end soon?

Quote Originally Posted by D3X321 View Post
    How much longer do you think Rick and the crew will go on? Surely the show will be coming to an end soon?
    We're nowhere near that point yet. I can't directly link a source because I don't remember where I read it, but I'm pretty sure Kirkman said he had enough material for the show to continue for several years down the road. Walking Dead is also one of the most watched (if not the most watched) shows on TV.

Unless something catastrophic happens, I don't think the show is going anywhere for a very long time. Rick may eventually die in the show, but I think it can continue without him. There might eventually be some point where he's about to die and gives Carl a "you're a man now, you got this shit" speech before passing the torch, but I think we're a long way from that.
    Last edited by Ciddy; 2015-02-26 at 10:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by verdamte View Post
    Carl looks abit like a oneeyed Skrillex imo. Also - the frontpage teaser of comic 141.....

I think it can be pretty cool and slightly scary when young teens acts like hardened criminals. Not a big fan of animees myself - but i think it worked very well in a tv show like The Wire, particular 4th and 5th seasons. Watching a 14 year old kid with a stonecold face walk up and execute a streetgangster was shocking but also a pretty precise statement about Baltimore in decay.
    It's not the actions that bother me, its forcibly throwing underdeveloped youths into adult situations that they aren't emotionally or intellectually developed enough to deal with. This can be a very powerful tool when used sparingly (like your example), but when used overwhelmingly it simply becomes tiresome.

kirkman has a shit ton of comics worth of plans. like 250 - 400 or so more with no end in sight.

and with walking dead being the most popular show on us and very popular internationally its not going to end anytime soon
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552

Quote Originally Posted by Immitis View Post
    kirkman has a shit ton of comics worth of plans. like 250 - 400 or so more with no end in sight.

and with walking dead being the most popular show on us and very popular internationally its not going to end anytime soon
    I think the comic will outlast the show by quite a bit. I just don't see a show ever going 15+ years, at least a live non procedural drama like this. If they kill any of the main three (Rick, Michonne, Daryl) backlash would be big. And these three won't want to act in this show forever. People's interest will wane over time too, and eventually the budget will be too much for the show to sustain.

Quote Originally Posted by Faltemer View Post
    I think the comic will outlast the show by quite a bit. I just don't see a show ever going 15+ years, at least a live non procedural drama like this. If they kill any of the main three (Rick, Michonne, Daryl) backlash would be big. And these three won't want to act in this show forever. People's interest will wane over time too, and eventually the budget will be too much for the show to sustain.
    plenty of shows can last that long. just look at doctor who
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    I think Rick will run the course of the show.
    Last edited by cubby; 2015-02-27 at 05:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Immitis View Post
    plenty of shows can last that long. just look at doctor who
    It was cancelled, it coming back in what seems like (haven't seen much of it) A fairly different show only proves what i said. It also is a show that has the opportunity to constantly shift major cast members aside in ways that aren't "killing" them. If you kill off rick or daryl that would be different in this show. That is is also a British show so the markets aren't the same. I looked this up for this thread previously and the longest running similar american show I could find was I think 12 or so years?

I mean can you name similar type shows to WD that survived 15+ years in the american tv market?

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I mean can you name similar type shows to WD that survived 15+ years in the american tv market?
    Why does it have to be similar? There are plenty of shows that have run for a long time. In fact, the most popular shows tend to run longer now than they did in the 90s. Even things as seemingly inconsequential as Supernatural just hit 11 seasons. Granted, I think the factor most associated with length over time is the ability to operate on a meaningful budget which allows for drops in viewers while still making it worthwhile.

TWD has a larger overhead than most shows due to the production values and large cast. As long as there are enough people watching it to sell commercials, they can afford to make it. Contract negotiations will likely play a part as well. It almost stopped Big Bang Theory from continuing because actors want to get paid (ludicrously).
    BAD WOLF

Quote Originally Posted by Kelimbror View Post
    TWD has a larger overhead than most shows due to the production values and large cast. As long as there are enough people watching it to sell commercials, they can afford to make it. Contract negotiations will likely play a part as well. It almost stopped Big Bang Theory from continuing because actors want to get paid (ludicrously).
    That is the worst part. That greed stops more shows than anything else. It's hard to afford a quality show when 99% of the budget goes to not even one but 4+ actors!

That is the worst part. That greed stops more shows than anything else. It's hard to afford a quality show when 99% of the budget goes to not even one but 4+ actors!
    Yeah. I may have mentioned this once already, but something like that happened to Dukes of Hazzard way back in the day. It was one of the most popular shows on TV at the time, but there was some kind of issue where the actors who played the two main characters decided that they weren't making as much money as they should and just flat-out walked off. They were replaced with carbon copy characters who had different names but the same lines.

They eventually worked it out and got the two main characters back on the show, but the ratings took a big nosedive during the time the two replacements were there because people didn't really like them. Even then, iirc, the show never really got back to where it once was in terms of popularity. That kind of shit can really cause problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Ciddy View Post
    Yeah. I may have mentioned this once already, but something like that happened to Dukes of Hazzard way back in the day. It was one of the most popular shows on TV at the time, but there was some kind of issue where the actors who played the two main characters decided that they weren't making as much money as they should and just flat-out walked off. They were replaced with carbon copy characters who had different names but the same lines.

They eventually worked it out and got the two main characters back on the show, but the ratings took a big nosedive during the time the two replacements were there because people didn't really like them. Even then, iirc, the show never really got back to where it once was in terms of popularity. That kind of shit can really cause problems.
    Yeah but I'm glad they stopped trashing Chargers!

Quote Originally Posted by Kelimbror View Post
    Why does it have to be similar? There are plenty of shows that have run for a long time. In fact, the most popular shows tend to run longer now than they did in the 90s. Even things as seemingly inconsequential as Supernatural just hit 11 seasons. Granted, I think the factor most associated with length over time is the ability to operate on a meaningful budget which allows for drops in viewers while still making it worthwhile.

because most other shows that run 10+ years are animated and as such have super low costs and much easier time constantly creating new content. Or they are procedural which means until they run out of ideas on how to kill people slightly differently it can run forever. In neither of these shows are the story, or the characters a focus. The Walking Dead has both of these as the forefront of their focus. this means if either waver, the shows suffers greatly. They also have characters like I have stated that are currently invaluable to the show and can't be killed. But will inevitably want off the show at some point. It needs to be similar because every other show like this doesn't last that long (10+ years). Sure some have managed around and slightly above that mark but we have nothing to go on to say this show will be different. So we have no prior show to look back on and say this could take a similar path in regards to time spent on air. I haven't seen Supernatural, so I don't know how procedural it is.

I could easily see, season 6 be Alexandria. Seasons 7 and 8 Negan, and then that wraps up the show since depending on how they end things there it could be wrapped up pretty easily. I could also be very wrong and they go 20 more seasons, we will see I guess.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    because most other shows that run 10+ years are animated and as such have super low costs and much easier time constantly creating new content. Or they are procedural which means until they run out of ideas on how to kill people slightly differently it can run forever. In neither of these shows are the story, or the characters a focus. The Walking Dead has both of these as the forefront of their focus. this means if either waver, the shows suffers greatly. They also have characters like I have stated that are currently invaluable to the show and can't be killed. But will inevitably want off the show at some point. It needs to be similar because every other show like this doesn't last that long (10+ years). Sure some have managed around and slightly above that mark but we have nothing to go on to say this show will be different. So we have no prior show to look back on and say this could take a similar path in regards to time spent on air. I haven't seen Supernatural, so I don't know how procedural it is.
    I could not agree more with what you've said here. And Supernatural is basically a "procedural" show with "deaths" being essentially different ghost stories.

If people are going to say that popular characters wouldn't ever leave a show, even when it's going very well for the show and the character, just look at what happened with Downton Abbey at the end of Season 3 (Dan Stevens who played Matthew Crawley abruptly left). And don't laugh too hard if you haven't seen the show or aren't a big fan of it - the character Mathew in D.A. was the rough equivalent to Daryl in TWD.

I could easily see, season 6 be Alexandria. Seasons 7 and 8 Negan, and then that wraps up the show since depending on how they end things there it could be wrapped up pretty easily. I could also be very wrong and they go 20 more seasons, we will see I guess.
    That could definitely be the way the writers go with the show, ending after Season 8 or 9, depending. However, I see a much longer path ahead for TWD, one that transcends individual character popularity, ala Game of Thrones.

At some point Rick and the gang are going to find stability, either in overcoming whatever waits for them in Alexandria or surviving Negan and finding another solid refuge (I do not read the comics, so I don't know what has happened with the story line there). It's also clear that the writers are speeding up the events in the comics with the goings on of the show - we are already much farther along in the show than in the comics (if I've got that correct, this would be word-of-mouth for me). And, finally, the writers have no trouble switching out plot events to suit their needs, ala Judith/Bob/Terminus.

The writers could wrap up Alexandria, Negan and the Whispers by the end of Season 7 (or sooner), and iirc that would take them past where the comics are now. So what then you ask? Well, you've got a talented bunch of writers with a fantastically developed world in an apocalyptic setting all ready to go. Going out on a limb, I would say break up newly discovered characters from Seasons 6-7/8 and send them out on "missions" to find other pockets of survivors in an attempt to rebuild civilization. That would give the show a huge array of plots, characters and time to build multiple seasons upon, all outside of the comics.

Just food for thought.
    Last edited by cubby; 2015-02-28 at 12:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    That could definitely be the way the writers go with the show, ending after Season 8 or 9, depending. However, I see a much longer path ahead for TWD, one that transcends individual character popularity, ala Game of Thrones.

At some point Rick and the gang are going to find stability, either in overcoming whatever waits for them in Alexandria or surviving Negan and finding another solid refuge (I do not read the comics). It's also clear that the writers are speeding up the events in the comics with the goings on of the show - we are already much farther along in the show than in the comics (if I've got that correct, this would be word-of-mouth for me).

The writers could wrap up Alexandria, Negan and the Whispers be the end of Season 7 (or sooner), and iirc that would take them past where the comics are now. So what then you ask? Well, you've got a talented bunch of writers with a fantastically developed world in an apocalyptic setting all ready to go. Going out on a limb, I would say break up newly discovered characters from Seasons 6-7/8 and send them out on "missions" to find other pockets of survivors in an attempt to rebuild civilization. That would give the show a huge array of plots, characters and time to build multiple seasons upon, all outside of the comics.

Just food for thought.
    Personally I think GOT has the same problem with regards to characters. Until they kill of Tyrion or Daenerys I think they might have the same problem.

It's take 5 seasons to get to Alexandria, assuming this season ends peacefully (Which I don't know yet) that would put us around epsiode 70-74 of the comics I believe. Which is only slightly quicker. (70 or so in 5 years vs the 60 that the comics would have put out).

The Alexandria main arc lasts until about 96. Then the negan arc continues to 128? or so. And we are on 138 right now. So seasons 8 or 9 will be the end of the negan arc, and by that time at least 40+ new comics will be out and they will still be 50 or so ahead. They won't catch up for a long time.

I would recommend you pick up the first compendium, it is 1-48 so you can't spoil anything, plus it is a great read.

Episode Synopsis

If you have read the comic, you might see whats coming from these spoilers

As wesaw from the sneak peek, our beloved family enters the gates of the community and is promptly instructed by Nicholas (Michael Traynor) to hand over their weapons if they want to stay. (Remember the last time Rick was told to give up a weapon?) Rick says that he doesn’t know if they want to stay. Rick notices a walker coming toward the gates and Rick, with a soft but deliberately spoken “Sasha,” shows Nicholas just who Team Grimes is. Sasha calmly raises her gun and shoots it in the head.
    After the opening credits Rick is in Deanna’s house (ASZ leader), apparently for some kind of interview. Deanna asks Rick if she can film their conversation. She asks Rick how long they have been “out there” and tells him how the community came to be. At the end of this talk she tells Rick he needs to make a decision on whether to stay or not.

The group is outside handing their guns over. Aaron tells Rick and Carl they can have two houses for the group. After exploring the downstairs of the house Rick takes a steamy shower. (**Warning to Rick fangirls: contains steamy butt shot.) Then, as violins play in the background, Rick then shaves off his glorious beard off. (Just kidding on the violins. Sorry, not sorry.) After Rick walks his glistening, shirtless bod downstairs, he sees somebody at the door. The woman introduces herself as Jessie (Alexandra Breckenridge) and offers Rick a basket of goodies and a haircut. While cutting Rick’s hair, Jessie talks about her son who is about Carl’s age.
    Daryl is briefly interviewed. Grunts ensue.

Carl hears noises upstairs in the house and, after investigating with knife in hand, finds out it’s just his imagination. He finds old comic books in an empty room. (Is this Kirkman product placement?)
    As the group is settling down for their first night in the ASZ, Deanna drops by to make sure they are all ok.
    The next morning Rick goes outside into the street and starts panicking, he runs down the road looking in all directions. He knocks over some scrap metal, which Jessie hears and then comes to his aid. Turns out he is looking for Judith, who is with Carl getting attention from some of the locals.

Carl is introduced to two other boys and a girl who live in the ASZ. Carl is a bit shy and awkward.
    Carl, while with Judith, is interviewed by Deanna. Back in his bedroom Carl tells Rick he likes the new community.
    Out for a little midnight stroll, Rick briefly meets Jessie’s husband sitting on the porch of his house.
    Carol is interviewed next morning.

Daryl is playing with his crossbow on the porch of his house. Carol tells him to take a shower or she will hose him down. He tells Carol she looks “ridiculous” in her new housewife clothes. Her community job is feeding the elderly.
    Rick decides to venture outside the ASZ gates and is let out by the gate guards. Meanwhile, Carl spots the girl from the community escaping over a wall. He follows her into the woods but loses her. Rick looks for the gun he stashed in the last episode only to find it’s gone. He bumps into Carl, they speak a few words, and then fight a couple of walkers. Just another day in the ZA. One grabs Ricks boot, but Rick lets Carl finish it off even though he could have done it himself.

Noah, Glenn and Tara are shown how to do a run (yeah, like they need to be shown anything) by Deanna’s son and another ASZ member. They are led to some bloody chains by a tree and Deanna and her son are annoyed that the walker they had chained up is gone. They explain how it killed a member of the community a while ago so they were keeping it chained like some sort of punishment. The walker comes out of nowhere and almost gets Tara. She kills it and Deanna’s son gets annoyed.
    Back at the ASZ, Deanna’s son takes a swing at Glenn, who knocks him down with one punch. Deanna breaks it up, actually thanking Glenn for teaching her son a lesson. She tells Rick and Michonne that their job is security at the community.
    The scene cuts to the interview with Rick from first day. He says to Deanna that everyone has an angle and is looking for something to take, and that she shouldn’t have let them in. Deanna responds by saying “Are you already looking out for us?”
    Back at the house, Rick puts on his new, spiffy, cop uniform. Carol says that the group will get weak being there but Rick responds by saying he won’t allow it. He says, “If they can’t make it, we will take this place.”
    Blizzard White Knighting is not allowed

it would be an interesting change if rick becomes leader via show of force rather then by being given the job

Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post

At some point Rick and the gang are going to find stability, either in overcoming whatever waits for them in Alexandria or surviving Negan and finding another solid refuge (I do not read the comics, so I don't know what has happened with the story line there). It's also clear that the writers are speeding up the events in the comics with the goings on of the show - we are already much farther along in the show than in the comics (if I've got that correct, this would be word-of-mouth for me). And, finally, the writers have no trouble switching out plot events to suit their needs, ala Judith/Bob/Terminus.

The writers could wrap up Alexandria, Negan and the Whispers by the end of Season 7 (or sooner), and iirc that would take them past where the comics are now. So what then you ask? Well, you've got a talented bunch of writers with a fantastically developed world in an apocalyptic setting all ready to go. Going out on a limb, I would say break up newly discovered characters from Seasons 6-7/8 and send them out on "missions" to find other pockets of survivors in an attempt to rebuild civilization. That would give the show a huge array of plots, characters and time to build multiple seasons upon, all outside of the comics.

Just food for thought.
    I hope they skip the Negan cycle. The big war from the comics would be cool but I feel like thats already been done with the Gov and it would be better if the TV show went in its own creative direction. I also feel like the whisperers could be skipped since they've basically been paying homage to them the entire series, with the amount of times we've seen various characters disguising/camouflaging themselves and walking amongst the walkers.

But that's just me. Either way, I'm pretty confident in their creative ability, they've done really well so far, but the best part of the show isn't even the story, its the character portrayal, especially Rick. I really don't see him dying anytime, if ever, since without him the show would be dull indeed. There simply isn't any character that embodies the show so much as he.

I hope they skip the Negan cycle. The big war from the comics would be cool but I feel like thats already been done with the Gov and it would be better if the TV show went in its own creative direction. I also feel like the whisperers could be skipped since they've basically been paying homage to them the entire series, with the amount of times we've seen various characters disguising/camouflaging themselves and walking amongst the walkers.

But that's just me. Either way, I'm pretty confident in their creative ability, they've done really well so far, but the best part of the show isn't even the story, its the character portrayal, especially Rick. I really don't see him dying anytime, if ever, since without him the show would be dull indeed. There simply isn't any character that embodies the show so much as he.
    negan is much bigger then the governor and much more of a threat, its not just gonna be the same thing, especially if they keep negan alive after defeating him like in the comics.

and the whisperers shouldnt be brushed off just because the survivors occasionally put some guts on them.

these people WEAR DEAD HUMAN SKIN. they basically pretend to be walkers 24/7. thats a special unique brand of crazy