1. #7101
    Elemental Lord draykorinee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Ciderland, arrgh.
    Posts
    8,142
    Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    Exactly, it's not about the zombies. Which is the entire point.
    It was at first. That is the entire point.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    Exactly, it's not about the zombies. Which is the entire point.
    It's not anymore no, but that's the point, the first season it was, the people weren't the walking dead, they weren't the main concern, now they are and the zombies have become a side feature.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thage View Post
    6.1 convinced me to leave the game. 6.2 confirmed my choice.
    And now they kill Warhammer...

  2. #7102
    Quote Originally Posted by draykorinee View Post
    It was at first. That is the entire point.

    - - - Updated - - -



    It's not anymore no, but that's the point, the first season it was, the people weren't the walking dead, they weren't the main concern, now they are and the zombies have become a side feature.

    i disagree entirely. season 1 had nothing to do with zombies, it was about a man looking for his family and then trying to remake it once he found it.

    couldve been mad max world or aliens for all i care story wouldve been the exact same.
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

    FC: 3437-3046-3552

  3. #7103
    Elemental Lord draykorinee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Ciderland, arrgh.
    Posts
    8,142
    Quote Originally Posted by Immitis View Post
    i disagree entirely. season 1 had nothing to do with zombies, it was about a man looking for his family and then trying to remake it once he found it.

    couldve been mad max world or aliens for all i care story wouldve been the exact same.
    Well, we don't agree on much, so I see no reason why this would be any different. If you think it would be the same story in a different setting then we were watching a different show. Avatar is just a film about a man trying to save a culture, you could have just stuck him in 18th century america and had native americans, the story would have been exactly the same.../end sarcasm.

    Its interesting that everyone regards the people as the walking dead now (including myself), yet they also regarded them as the walking dead in the first season? I doubt that.
    Last edited by draykorinee; 2015-07-02 at 06:22 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thage View Post
    6.1 convinced me to leave the game. 6.2 confirmed my choice.
    And now they kill Warhammer...

  4. #7104
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Brawl Pub
    Posts
    4,981
    I mean, there were already people who knew how to "survive" in the zombie apocalypse against zombies by the time the story starts with Rick waking up. CF, Morgan, Shane, Glen et al, Merle, for example. The story was immediately how you deal with how you get on as a human being in this stressful situation, IE, how do you shoot your former wife, how do you deal with your best friend who looked after your family but then started sleeping with your wife because he thought you were dead, how do you deal with being the nerdy Asian kid who basically has to learn how to be badass and earn his keep, or how do you deal with being a scummy piece of shit racist?

    Those were the storylines. They were already killing zombies and "surviving" under Shane. That's the whole point - Shane would have been fine if the story was purely about humans versus zombies. But Shane was shit in terms of being a human being in a stressful situation, and that's where all the tension in his story came from.

    The story could have been about a world wide plague and this being the story of the human survivors forced underground into increasingly isolated communities for fear of infection that they really can't do anything about, and it would have been the same show. In fact, one could argue that that is exactly the story.

  5. #7105
    Elemental Lord draykorinee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Ciderland, arrgh.
    Posts
    8,142
    Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    The story could have been about a world wide plague and this being the story of the human survivors forced underground into increasingly isolated communities for fear of infection that they really can't do anything about, and it would have been the same show. In fact, one could argue that that is exactly the story.
    One could argue either way, I don't think the story would work if it was just a plague at all, like Kirk said, the zombies are a physical embodiment of death, thats why he used them and not a plague.

    People didn't know they were the walking dead, they knew if they get bit they would die and turn, but they didn't know they were already infected.
    Last edited by draykorinee; 2015-07-02 at 07:27 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thage View Post
    6.1 convinced me to leave the game. 6.2 confirmed my choice.
    And now they kill Warhammer...

  6. #7106
    Quote Originally Posted by draykorinee View Post
    W. Avatar is just a film about a man trying to save a culture, you could have just stuck him in 18th century america and had native americans, the story would have been exactly the same.../end sarcasm..
    yes, yes it would be. just replace alien body switching machines/magic trees with native american voodoo.

    then again avatar is one of the shittiest movies of all time with plot depth the size of a piece of paper. avatar is mostly just eye porn that rips off a million other movies
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

    FC: 3437-3046-3552

  7. #7107
    Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    how do you shoot your former wife
    Got divorced for a reason.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Has anyone watched The Walking Deceased? Pretty decent lol
    Quote Originally Posted by THE Bigzoman View Post
    Meant Wetback. That's what the guy from Home Depot called it anyway.
    ==================================
    If you say pls because it is shorter than please,
    I'll say no because it is shorter than yes.
    ==================================

  8. #7108
    Herald of the Titans
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    South Africa
    Posts
    2,636
    Quote Originally Posted by draykorinee View Post
    One could argue either way, I don't think the story would work if it was just a plague at all, like Kirk said, the zombies are a physical embodiment of death, thats why he used them and not a plague.

    People didn't know they were the walking dead, they knew if they get bit they would die and turn, but they didn't know they were already infected.
    The zombies are just a plot device. While it is true that they have to be horrific and menacing to the survivors, the story is, ultimately, about the human stories of the survivors in their setting.

    As an example, substitute zombies with Triffids and you have the same story.

  9. #7109
    Elemental Lord draykorinee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Ciderland, arrgh.
    Posts
    8,142
    Quote Originally Posted by Raelbo View Post
    The zombies are just a plot device. While it is true that they have to be horrific and menacing to the survivors, the story is, ultimately, about the human stories of the survivors in their setting.

    As an example, substitute zombies with Triffids and you have the same story.
    No you don't, but I've basically argued against that enough times that I don't feel like banging my head against a brick wall. You can of course replace zombies with Triffids, but the story changes right from the start, Kirkman himself expressed exactly why he used zombies and not any other mythical creature, so I'll go with him.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thage View Post
    6.1 convinced me to leave the game. 6.2 confirmed my choice.
    And now they kill Warhammer...

  10. #7110
    Immortal cubby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    the Quiet Room
    Posts
    7,053
    Quote Originally Posted by draykorinee View Post
    No you don't, but I've basically argued against that enough times that I don't feel like banging my head against a brick wall. You can of course replace zombies with Triffids, but the story changes right from the start, Kirkman himself expressed exactly why he used zombies and not any other mythical creature, so I'll go with him.
    You must have been banging your head against a wall because you still don't see what a LOT of people are patiently trying to explain. The show is about people who have become the walking dead. The catalyst for this was zombies, but the show is about the people, who have transformed, into the Walking Dead. It's not about zombies, it's about the people.

    (I do have to say your Avatar tirade got me thinking and chuckling - that was good sarcasm; /nod to you - sincerely, despite our disagreement here)
    The less you know, the more you believe.


    Actually, Mr. Lennon, I CAN imagine a world with no hate, religion, war, or violence.
    I can also imagine attacking such a world, because they would never see it coming.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •