Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

How to survive as a fire mage?

Hey,

I've just rolled fire for PVP and I'm wondering how exactly do I survive? I keep dying very quickly and mana shield doesn't last very long.

How on Earth can you survive as a mage when you die in a few hits?

Thanks

Are you really asking how to survive as a mage!?

Well you only have blink, frost nova(s), ice block, mana shield, mage ward, dragon Breath, blast wave, polymorph, evocation glyph, cauterize(auto-last stand), scorch cast on the move that allows less attacks on you that alone, blazing speed(sprint), mirror images miss-click, counter spell and disarm....am i missing anything? and let me mention 1/2 of these are around 10-15 sec CD which is ridiculous.

If you cant live as a mage in general then theirs 2 things, you could do reroll because its not youre play-style or your just bad. : /
    Last edited by Stormhusk; 2010-10-19 at 01:59 AM.

Awesome sig by Nifzilla!

Herald of the Titans Orangetai420's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Stormhusk View Post
    Are you really asking how to survive as a mage!?

Well you only have blink, frost nova(s), ice block, mana shield, dragon Breath, blast wave, polymorph, evocation glyph, cauterize(auto-last stand), scorch cast on the move that allows less attacks on you that alone, blazing speed(sprint), mirror images miss-click, counter spell and disarm....am i missing anything? and let me mention 1/2 of these are around 10-15 sec CD which is ridiculous.

If you cant live a a mage in general then theirs 2 things you could do reroll because its not youre play-style or your just bad. : /
    You should really set tab to "Target enemy player" and stop clicking.

Quote Originally Posted by Orangetai420 View Post
    Its still a miss-click...btw i dont click i have 50+ keybinds...

Also tab doesnt bring you directly to the mage you can target the images.
    Last edited by Stormhusk; 2010-10-19 at 02:00 AM.

Awesome sig by Nifzilla!

I am sure he meant hitting the wrong key bind or something,*

*too late!

Deleted
    Popping mirror before the enemy uses an ability usually causes them to target the mirror instead of the player, since it clears the target when activated. Being a clicker makes no difference to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Chakotay View Post
    Hey,

I've just rolled fire for PVP and I'm wondering how exactly do I survive? I keep dying very quickly and mana shield doesn't last very long.

Thanks
    You're question is a little vague. What exactly is giving you the most trouble? Are you undergeared?
    Doesn't play WoW but continues to lurk MMO-Champion.

10+ Year Old Account
    Kill the person with a 40k crit before they can touch u /thread
    Quote Originally Posted by Sulf View Post
    You actually get a raidspot as a clicker dps

sigh.

Quote Originally Posted by The Polarbear View Post
    Kill the person with a 40k crit before they can touch u /thread
    OP said he was fire, not arcane.

Quote Originally Posted by Horrify View Post
    OP said he was fire, not arcane.
    LOL!

Arcane and fire atm IMO are bout the same, fire does more damage but arcane does more burst but at end they both even out about the same!

Awesome sig by Nifzilla!

You sir have never raided with an arcane mage, or are just bad.

LOL!

Arcane and fire atm IMO are bout the same, fire does more damage but arcane does more burst but at end they both even out about the same!
    I don't know if you're talking about PvE, but arcane's damage and burst stomps fire's in PvP. Maybe they were even when the patch first came out, but after the nerfs to fire it's back at the bottom again.

Fire mage got OP Pvp burst? what game are you playing? Arcane got the burst and big hits. Im 4/5 Wratfull, my pyroblast crits for 6k on 1300 res targets.....

Deleted
    Well the main way of surviving is making sure you don't get hit. Mana shield and mage ward might stop some damage, and it's absolutely worth using them, but they won't keep you up.

In all 2 vs 1 situations, you're basicly toast, try polying one and just flee, as the odds of killing both if you are new to fire is minimal.

Against melee and ranged there's different rules, the only real way of not getting hit (much) by ranged is killing them before they kill you. Hunters rape you, just poly them and run, for the rest, make use of improved counterspell and it's silence to bring them down while they can't hurt you. If they can heal up somehow, you're most likely done for as you will probably lose every fight if you can't stop them from damaging you, just poly them and run away.
    Getting in close to dragon's breath can also be a life saver if they don't die before your counterspell wears off.

Against melee: melee can't kill you if they can't get near you. Abuse scorchstrafing + living bombs and hot streaks while slowing them with blast wave, this should make it impossible for most melee to reach you. If they to get too close (warrior charge, dk using chains of ice), frost nova, cone of cold or dragons breath them. Try saving blink for stuns or deathgrips + chains or something along those lines. You should be able to kill most melee that don't oneshot you when they initiate like this(you should try to iniate however).

Iceblock is best saved for when your cauterize procs, as healers don't tend to be able to keep you up while being attacked by something and with cauterize ticking on you. When used with iceblock however, cauterize gives a free 50% heal, and if cauterize would've never triggered in the first place, then you didn't waaste the iceblock either. (iceblock may also be used if you're above 50% and you've got some serious debuffs on you that would cause you to drop more then 50% of your health, thanks to either damage from dots, or slows/silences/stuns that leave you vunerable)

In case of low health, you can always go for the polymorph + glyphed evocation heal, this will obviously heal up your enemy aswell thanks to polymorph, so only do this if youre confident that you can kill your enemy afterwards (if he just used all his cooldowns for example), or if you're able to escape.

In the case of big battles with multiple people fighting, just stand back, and do your stuff from a distance, we may have great spells to stay alive against 1 (melee) player, it's not generally adequate to survive the frontlines with, leave that to the melee players.

So generally speaking, you can't heal yourself up, you can't absorb much damage, you will go down like a baby in a sumo wrestling match if you tank stuff. So just avoid as much damage as possible by staying away from melee, and controlling whoever attacks you.
    Last edited by mmocf3a1a1b543; 2010-10-19 at 11:18 AM.

....am i missing anything?/
    Invisibility

10+ Year Old Account
    Its still a miss-click...btw i dont click i have 50+ keybinds...

Also tab doesnt bring you directly to the mage you can target the images.
    Lol 50+ keybinds. Do you really need to lie ?

---------- Post added 2010-10-19 at 01:24 PM ----------

LOL!

Are you kidding ? Yo ucan survive way longer as Arcane... Are you playing a mage or a hunter ?

LOL!

Not any different then Ele or any other caster atm.

---------- Post added 2010-10-19 at 09:27 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Killer View Post
    Do you really need to lie ?
    I think 95% of them are a combination of Flame shock/Lava Burst/Lightning bolt. The other 5% he just macros Orc racial/BL/Fire Ele.

Quote Originally Posted by Chakotay View Post
    Hey,

Thanks

its hard. you really need support/healer tbh, and its definitely a lot harder than frost. the problem with blazing speed procs is it doesn't help against ranged attacks, nothing really does other than invis, which is a nice defensive clear target move now, but that has a long CD. still tho its nice to use invis to get the focus fire off of you the first time with the way it works now, and then setup your next poly/nuke/etc from stealth.

i'm still figuring out fire tho since i'm so used to wading into the battle as frost. i'm not sure if there is a way to survive as fire in BG's since i'm getting blown up in most multi encounters where they focus me and i die in 2 seconds. only other saving grace to surviving are the 2 sec stun fireblast procs which can help you get distance/away.

i don't have a solution. i'm in the same boat myself trying to figure out a way to survive as fire in BG's. its just too difficult to tell if its the bloat of everyones new abilities for why i'm dying so fast with no chance, or me not using everything at the right times to survive. altho i'm leaning towards the bloat of new abilities since a lot of situations, especially when i'm deathgripped into a zerg and die in 2 secs :P

i was going to respec frost last night to see if i can survive any better but wanted to keep giving fire a shot trying to figure out a way. funny enough i find rogues and warriors to a degree almost easier as fire since kiting scorch spam with blazing speed procs is almost like taunting them, as long as i can survive the initial onslaught/openers.

---------- Post added 2010-10-19 at 01:42 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Ephel View Post
    Well the main way of surviving is making sure you don't get hit. Mana shield and mage ward might stop some damage, and it's absolutely worth using them, but they won't keep you up.

In all 2 vs 1 situations, you're basicly toast, try polying one and just flee, as the odds of killing both if you are new to fire is minimal.

Against melee and ranged there's different rules, the only real way of not getting hit (much) by ranged is killing them before they kill you. Hunters rape you, just poly them and run, for the rest, make use of improved counterspell and it's silence to bring them down while they can't hurt you. If they can heal up somehow, you're most likely done for as you will probably lose every fight if you can't stop them from damaging you, just poly them and run away.
    Getting in close to dragon's breath can also be a life saver if they don't die before your counterspell wears off.

Against melee: melee can't kill you if they can't get near you. Abuse scorchstrafing + living bombs and hot streaks while slowing them with blast wave, this should make it impossible for most melee to reach you. If they to get too close (warrior charge, dk using chains of ice), frost nova, cone of cold or dragons breath them. Try saving blink for stuns or deathgrips + chains or something along those lines. You should be able to kill most melee that don't oneshot you when they initiate like this(you should try to iniate however).

Iceblock is best saved for when your cauterize procs, as healers don't tend to be able to keep you up while being attacked by something and with cauterize ticking on you. When used with iceblock however, cauterize gives a free 50% heal, and if cauterize would've never triggered in the first place, then you didn't waaste the iceblock either. (iceblock may also be used if you're above 50% and you've got some serious debuffs on you that would cause you to drop more then 50% of your health, thanks to either damage from dots, or slows/silences/stuns that leave you vunerable)

In case of low health, you can always go for the polymorph + glyphed evocation heal, this will obviously heal up your enemy aswell thanks to polymorph, so only do this if youre confident that you can kill your enemy afterwards (if he just used all his cooldowns for example), or if you're able to escape.

In the case of big battles with multiple people fighting, just stand back, and do your stuff from a distance, we may have great spells to stay alive against 1 (melee) player, it's not generally adequate to survive the frontlines with, leave that to the melee players.

So generally speaking, you can't heal yourself up, you can't absorb much damage, you will go down like a baby in a sumo wrestling match if you tank stuff. So just avoid as much damage as possible by staying away from melee, and controlling whoever attacks you.

i'm actually finding hunters easier as fire since moving scorch spam and fireblast stun procs really screw them up. you just really have to play their melee, and blink with them when they do the fall back, keeping ward/manashield up. but its easier to nuke them down since you're just running around them at melee w/ scorches/fireblasts. but if they have help its very difficult to account for the hunter along with someone else since you can't fight out of the hunters melee range, its suicide. if you're pro you can melee the hunter, while cc'ing or killing his buddy but it takes a lot of skill/luck and some bad players to allow that.

as for melee they'll eventually catchup onto you regardless of blastwave. blastwave is only a temporary reprieve from the pressure, once the 3-4 seconds wears off they'll be right on you, and i've found that using CoC asap against melee's is very immportant. again i'm new to fire(was frost all of lich king) so maybe this is common sense. pally's are a bitch tho, and unless you can spellsteal their freedom you aren't slowing them down, and they'll pound on you even if they're bubbled which will affect your mana/health even if they're only doing half damage. just got to hope for blazing speed procs.

one of my biggest issues tbh is killing healers or locking them down as fire. i try to save my dragons breath for the crucial heal moment but its so temporary especially if someone is already trying to focus them, and the only other stop casts i have are fireblast stun procs and counterspell. CS can be fine but there are so many multi healer situations i find myself in that i'm regularly having to cc a healer just to have a chance at the other, and even then so many of them are raid bosses to take down right now :P

---------- Post added 2010-10-19 at 01:56 PM ----------

Does anyone know if the glyph for mirror images doing fire/arcane damage are worth it at all for pvp?

i dislike how i can't disguise myself within my images anymore since they're casting frostbolts while i'm casting scorches/fireblasts, but on the plus side their nukes are at least slowing their target with frostbolts. and i guess the mirror images don't mix up their casts with the glyph between fireballs/scorch/fireblasts? so no stun procs?

Quote Originally Posted by Spasme View Post
    Invisibility
    yes thank you!
    s5-2.4k s6-2.2k s7-2k s8-2.1k
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yybvdzSgUQ4 Haters man...

Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Killer View Post
    Lol 50+ keybinds. Do you really need to lie ?

---------- Post added 2010-10-19 at 01:24 PM ----------

Are you kidding ? Yo ucan survive way longer as Arcane... Are you playing a mage or a hunter ?
    The only reason you think im lying about my keybinds is because you dont have a lot of keybinds youre self so that must mean you play a clothie.

and i meant fire and arcane damage are about the same overall fire does more damage but arcane is meant for straight up burst.

thunderstorm
    earthquake
    magma totem
    fire nova
    searting totem
    flametounge totem
    tremor
    stoneclaw
    earthbind
    grouding
    resist totem
    spell haste
    totem bars 1-3
    totem recall
    mounts 1-6
    eat
    chain heal
    healing surge
    greater heal
    healing wave
    purge
    cleanse
    ghost wolf(even tho it isnt instant atm)
    earthshock
    frost shock
    flame shock
    wind shear
    lavaburst
    chain lighting
    lighting bolt
    earth summoning
    fire summoning
    rocket boots
    parachute
    hex
    lighting shield
    water shield
    stop cast macro
    set focus wind shear 1-3
    set focus hex 1-3
    set focus purge
    set focus grounding
    set focus healing surge
    set focus healing wave
    melee
    battle flag
    tab target
    shift tab prev target
    rocket gloves
    Lust

Im sorry that im a liar and i dont use 50+ keybinds...shamans require THE MOST keybinds then anyone else along with warrior, druid and hunter, everyone else is really easy or just a pinch challenging...

---------- Post added 2010-10-19 at 04:17 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by TheBloodKrayze View Post
    Not any different then Ele or any other caster atm.

---------- Post added 2010-10-19 at 09:27 AM ----------

I think 95% of them are a combination of Flame shock/Lava Burst/Lightning bolt. The other 5% he just macros Orc racial/BL/Fire Ele.
    Please read what i just posted, and btw ele is the weakest caster in pvp atm till cata because you loose instant ghost wolf, cleansing totem, earthbinds CD is increased by a lot and no more 100% root(bug) and astral shift is gone...

Ele is the only caster that didnt get nerfd in a blue post either...LBs do only 2k non crit for a 2 sec cast...thats so weak and dont beliveme LF an ele on youre server and if you have past 1k resil it wont crit for more then 3.5k...
    Last edited by Stormhusk; 2010-10-19 at 04:21 PM.

Awesome sig by Nifzilla!