Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    Keyboard Turner
    10+ Year Old Account

Warlock vs. Rogue

My only defense against rogues WAS my "every man for himself" (human) + death coil combo. Seems now that death coil has been removed as of patch, so now in BG's, when attacked by rogues, I just watch my health drop and cant do anything. "Fear" is interrupted before cast followed shortly by a tourist visit to the graveyard. Any pointers on how to beat a rogue now?
    It would be nice if "Every man for himself" had a few second window where we become immune to fear or movement impairing abilities such as a stun.

Death Coil still works, although there's a bunch of resistance to it going on.

If you're demo, start hammering Axe Toss as soon as you notice a rogue jump you. Your pet will knock it down, giving you time to get some distance and start BROSTORMing/fearing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Windan
    Being inside the belly of a giant gives one time for reflection. As my body crystallizes I have come to the conclusion that perhaps there are enough heroes in the world. Should I somehow make it out of this predicament I am going to ring that orc's ghostly neck!

Keyboard Turner
    10+ Year Old Account
    Haven't tried the axe toss yet. Honestly, didn't even think to use it. Thanks.

1v1 a dumb rogue will beat you 99% of the time due to cloak of shadows..

but this game isnt really based around 1v1.. so get a healer..
    otherwise just put a teleport down and run away.. use shadowflame glyph and force his cd's. death coil will allow you to win.. just gotta be prepared.
    "A real man makes his own luck" - Billy Zane, Titanic.

Stop worrying for Wrath of the Lich King, there was no rogue that could beat me on Beta for now, as affliction. Rogues relied on killing the opponent fast while blowing 18 trillions CDs in the process, but when you have 90k life it's just not working that way.

So for now, warlocks beat rogues in duels in Cataclysm. Things might change of course.

However, as someone previously said - this game is not balanced around 1v1 and it will never be balanced around it. They don't even try to do it, cause it's not needed. Especially now when the PvP will be probably focused on Rated Battlegrounds - there is spot for everyone, bring the player, not the class.
    Now these points of data make a beautiful line.

you say hp pools are doubled but ppl arent taking into account that damage is also doubled.. so increase health pools wont give much difference.. the majority of the game rewards pure skill. dont just rely on stam to get you thru.
    "A real man makes his own luck" - Billy Zane, Titanic.

Quote Originally Posted by Angelic View Post
    Stop worrying for Wrath of the Lich King, there was no rogue that could beat me on Beta for now, as affliction. Rogues relied on killing the opponent fast while blowing 18 trillions CDs in the process, but when you have 90k life it's just not working that way.

So for now, warlocks beat rogues in duels in Cataclysm. Things might change of course.
    because Wintergrasp has shown us HP matters against stuns.
    I'm sorry, but that's not the case.
    www.myspace.com/curseofdoom

...Warlock Hip-Hop To Melt Wax and Face...

Dear blizzard,
    Please nerf rock, paper is fine though,
    Sincerely,
    Scissors.

In all reality, just accept that you wont beat a rogue 1v1. Get a healer and then we have another story. If all you want to do is survive, pop survival skills/talents.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boubouille View Post
    (Oh god I'm such a troll)

Most rogues I run in to in BGs have a harder time killing me now than they had before they patch. I'm still getting rofl-stomped 80% of the time but at least it's not 99% as it used to be.

If i'm caught without trinket it can be a fairly hairy encounter vs any spec, but especially affliction, as fear seems to take longer to break to the dots, so I get worm down with CoE, a few fears (the instant howl is especially nasty, as it's not predictable) and by the time I cloak he's still on full hp, and i've been worn down to perhaps 50-40%.

But as I say, only if my trinket is on cooldown (and I didn't get an opener) XD
    Last edited by pestra; 2010-10-19 at 09:53 AM. Reason: bad grammar!

Half man, Half amazin'.

Deleted
    Well believe me the damage is doubled but the hps are trippled. And thats with blue pvp gear i bet 110k it will be the hp's when full pvp gear will be available to a player. And thats compared that ur best crit on that target wont be over 20k. In beta is like this. You crit for 15k players that have 95k hps with blue pvp gear.

As demo the only classes I can't beat 1 vs 1 are Frost mages, and DAMN good rogues. Axe stun is good enough to break out of a stun lock, and once you know they're on you, between Hand rooting, and hellfire to keep them out of stealth you can destroy them.

Only got slapped down by a couple of very good Engi-rogues who happened to use their rocket boots and CoS well, and opened with Garrot rather then a stun for the silence.

I'll also admit, I ran into one Aff lock with a succubus that didn't let me move.

Quote Originally Posted by Ragnarokex View Post
    you say hp pools are doubled but ppl arent taking into account that damage is also doubled.. so increase health pools wont give much difference.. the majority of the game rewards pure skill. dont just rely on stam to get you thru.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jashin
    because Wintergrasp has shown us HP matters against stuns.
    I'm sorry, but that's not the case.
    I'm sorry too but both of your points are not valid. The damage-health ratio on live has nothing to do with what is like in beta. It seems none of you have tasted Cataclysm, so I don't see how you could comment on this. A rogue in beta cannot kill you in one StunLock, the damage is far from doubled, and the health pools are more than tripled.

Excuse me but a warlock with the first obtainable blue PvP gear has about 95k life, and when properly talented you restore 4% of that life every 5 seconds. Healthstone restores close to 20k life unglyphed. Now tell me again, how does a rogue kills you in a stun lock? It just won't and cannot happen.

I've been dueling for about two months now, the rare times I lost to a rogue was due to something unfortunate such as Death Coil resist or Howl of Terror resist, because I'm lacking the hit rating. My gear is also far worse than theirs, most rogues are premade copies with full PvP gear. For example my health pool is 85k, those premade warlocks I see got 95k, PvP trinkets, PvP gear, shitloads of resilience. And I still don't experience any issues with rogues, I'd say it's even a bit easy, considering I'm not some super-professional PvP player like some of you might be. Now imagine if I had that super awesome gear that premades have.

In addition to my duels, I've been watching some good warlocks playing and dueling other rogues, they didn't have any problem against rogues either. Of course if you are a crappy warlock, you'd lose. And some crappy warlocks think other classes are too strong, just because they don't know how to play their class properly.

The only major problems in duels I had was against Unholy Death Knight and Protection Paladin, maybe some extremely good Feral Druids because of their insane bleed damage.

I shall remind you, however, that Blizzard are not balancing classes in PvP around 1v1.
    The focus is on arenas and rated battlegrounds, where the skills matter a lot more than the class.
    Last edited by Angelic; 2010-10-19 at 07:37 PM.
    Now these points of data make a beautiful line.

Quote Originally Posted by Angelic View Post
    I'm sorry too but both of your points are not valid. The damage-health ratio on live has nothing to do with what is like in beta. It seems none of you have tasted Cataclysm, so I don't see how you could comment on this. A rogue in beta cannot kill you in one StunLock, the damage is far from doubled, and the health pools are more than tripled.

Excuse me but a warlock with the first obtainable blue PvP gear has about 95k life, and when properly talented you restore 4% of that life every 5 seconds. Healthstone restores close to 20k life unglyphed. Now tell me again, how does a rogue kills you in a stun lock? It just won't and cannot happen.

I've been dueling for about two months now, the rare times I lost to a rogue was due to something unfortunate such as Death Coil resist or Howl of Terror resist, because I'm lacking the hit rating. My gear is also far worse than theirs, most rogues are premade copies with full PvP gear. For example my health pool is 85k, those premade warlocks I see got 95k, PvP trinkets, PvP gear, shitloads of resilience. And I still don't experience any issues with rogues, I'd say it's even a bit easy, considering I'm not some super-professional PvP player like some of you might be. Now imagine if I had that super awesome gear that premades have.

In addition to my duels, I've been watching some good warlocks playing and dueling other rogues, they didn't have any problem against rogues either. Of course if you are a crappy warlock, you'd lose. And some crappy warlocks think other classes are too strong, just because they don't know how to play their class properly.

The only major problems in duels I had was against Unholy Death Knight and Protection Paladin, maybe some extremely good Feral Druids because of their insane bleed damage.

I shall remind you, however, that Blizzard are not balancing classes in PvP around 1v1.
    The focus is on arenas and rated battlegrounds, where the skills matter a lot more than the class.
    yes, I'm glad you disagreed with me yet conveyed exactly what I meant with your edit.
    thank you for doing it for me.
    www.myspace.com/curseofdoom

...Warlock Hip-Hop To Melt Wax and Face...

Shadowfury.

I promise it works.

Use a Succubus, if the rogue isen't fast at blinding it, u have won the match when your first seduction hits him.

Deleted
    dont have problems with most rogues as destro and soulburn + teleport kicks ass when they try to sprint to you

Quote Originally Posted by Killyox View Post
    dont have problems with most rogues as destro and soulburn + teleport kicks ass when they try to sprint to you
    Shadowstep.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Yuanrang View Post
    Shadowstep.
    shadowflame + whiplash :P

i eat rogues for breakfest... warriors and ferals on the other hand....

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Darckie View Post
    Use a Succubus, if the rogue isen't fast at blinding it, u have won the match when your first seduction hits him.
    Isnt Soul link going to brake blind?