Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Angry Demonology mastery bad compared to destro and affliction?

Look at destro, they get a 10% + 1.25%/mastery damage boost on all their fire spells, wich r pretty much the only spells they ever use.
    Affliction gets a 13% + 1.63%/mastery damage boost on all their dots, wich should be at least 90% uptime.
    What do we demolocks get? a 12% + 1.5%/mastery damage boost to our pet( with our pet only doing 10% of our dps, this boost is just ridiculus small) and the damage boost only affects us when we are in demonform. Why does our mastery have to depend on a cooldown? Demonform is up for 30% of the time, so why do get such a crappy mastery instead of just like a 10% + 1%/mastery to all our dmg?

I'd wager the reason mastery isn't as powerful for all specs is because they're trying to balance all 3 specs at 85. If you get a bigger mastery bonus, they'll lower your spell coefficients to keep you balanced. Would you be happy with that change?

10+ Year Old Account
    they can't lower spell coefficients without nerfing both affliction and destro that way as demo uses both affliction and destro spells. Also, with mastery like this we are just dependat on our demonform. Without it, our dmg cant hold up with others while in demonform, we are as bulky as tanks with the power to obliterate everything on our path.

10+ Year Old Account
    no, shadowflame, shadowfury and shadowburn are also destrospells, however, they arent used a lot.

Don't forget that you are also getting a damage increase to your:
    Ebon Imp, which spawns fairly often
    Doomguard or Infernal AND you get to use it longer in demonologoy than any other spec
    Of course your Felguard
    Demon form which you get to reduce the CD of, and you have a glyph that increases the form by 6 seconds.

Overall I think it balances out.

10+ Year Old Account
    The likely explaination is that they want each class, and each tree for each class to have 'good' and 'bad' stats that are different from each other to prevent the situation in Wrath where just about every caster class jumped on the Haste gear, but ignored everything else. As it stands, Haste is exceptionally good for Demo, but only alright for other our other trees, and probably flat out bad for other classes/specs (don't know for sure, not really checked). By extention therefore, Mastery may well be super awesome for someone else, but Haste is terrible for them; in which case we let them take the Mastery, and we pick up the Haste.

Yeah...It really is too bad Demonology is being held back so much by a horrible mastery, it looks pretty fun to play and would do some good DPS and have good PvP representation if that weren't true
    Oh wait

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Minky View Post
    Yeah...It really is too bad Demonology is being held back so much by a horrible mastery, it looks pretty fun to play and would do some good DPS and have good PvP representation if that weren't true
    Oh wait
    Only reason demo does good in pvp is because of demoform. Without it, demolocks r just free honor.

Dont forget that even the dots from aff are always up, the percenteage of overall dmg are not 90% because shadow bolt is about 35-40% of the dmg. Destro is the one who benefit most from mastery because 80%(exclude imp) of the dmg are all fire.

IMO it has been put into this way because demo has the talent that lowered CD of meta each time the you use some spells, so you will be able to use meta more often than in the past and also from what I've tested, the special summon in demo spec > doom or infernal does twice dmg compare to aff/dest. But yeah I dont think it can compete with the benefit of mastery from another 2 specs.

Not sure we will see demo lock in the high end guild anymore in cata esp if they have ele shammy in the raid (which most of them already have).

10+ Year Old Account
    demonform was up 15% of the time befor patch, now its about 30-35%, i already took care of that in my original post...

Another thing i want to mention is that haste will be less valueable in cata since we getting a 15% haste from improved soulfire ( wich seems no longer seems to need targethp > 80% ) and ofcourse the reduced casttime on soulfire and incinerate.

Btw, as drain life being a very decent filler for affliction, and scaling with mastery, it may be that shadowbolt will become useless for affliction at certain mastery levels.
    Last edited by Nicola; 2010-10-19 at 04:03 PM.

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    yeah i read that ele shammies put the same buff as Demonic Pact now, right? OR do they just not stack? Might give me a chance to fool around in destro....

Buff from demo is the exact same buff we get from ele shaman now > +10% spell power calculated from each player's own spell power not from the buffer like demonic pact.

This is why I think demo lock's importance has been reduced and we might not always see warlock in demo spec as it used to be in the past.

As much as I agree with you about how your mastery is iffy, with affliction having a good mastery its dps is still horrible. Destro by far is the top dps spec for a lock right now, followed by demo, then affliction (according to EJ). So by all means, don't feel bad. I played affliction throughout WoTLK, and it's pretty much not viable anymore (at least to min/maxers like myself). So as much as I love affliction, I'm going to bring my best dps to raid.

I'm sure in time things will balance out and all three specs will be similar dps. Just not sure how long that's gonna take

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dorquead View Post
    As much as I agree with you about how your mastery is iffy, with affliction having a good mastery its dps is still horrible. Destro by far is the top dps spec for a lock right now, followed by demo, then affliction (according to EJ). So by all means, don't feel bad. I played affliction throughout WoTLK, and it's pretty much not viable anymore (at least to min/maxers like myself). So as much as I love affliction, I'm going to bring my best dps to raid.

I'm sure in time things will balance out and all three specs will be similar dps. Just not sure how long that's gonna take
    Because shadowbolt aint scaling with mastery, however, at a certain lvl of mastery, drain life will become better as shadowbolt resulting in a dps boost and 6 free talentpoints that can be spend somewere else.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowdoom View Post
    Not sure we will see demo lock in the high end guild anymore in cata esp if they have ele shammy in the raid (which most of them already have).
    While it's true that you're better off having an ele shaman providing the buff over a demo lock (so the lock can play destro), a lot of guilds will be going 10 man I expect and you can't assume that there will be an elemental shaman in every DPS team. Many will play resto or enhancement or no shaman at all. There will still be plenty of demo locks around, myself included unless one of our shaman members comes back to the core group.

Also take into consideration that the "balanced at 85" probably also considers the effects of demon soul, which the felguards version is by far the strongest. 15% spell haste (when hast is much harder to come by) and all damage increased. Compare that to all the other pets,and we kinda get an advantage there, especially if it and meta can be thrown out together.

15+ Year Old Account
    Demonology and it's mastery aren't bad, it's just that you don't have enough stats/spells/talent points to make it good.
    1) Level 80 has 5 points missing, all of which inflate demonology's dps and thus it's Meta DPS, which is increased by Mastery
    2) Level 85 gear has much more mastery on it and you will never be able to get just Haste - you will always have another stat, and that stat should be mastery.
    3) Demon Soul stacking with Meta is a HUGE dps boost for Demonology. 1.2 from Meta (plus mastery) X 1.1 Demon Soul = 32%, not 30% - if you have 10% more from mastery, then 1.3 x 1.1 = 43%. And guess what! We're balanced around 85 dps not 80. Thus we are missing 12% or more of our potential damage during Meta, which is substantial.
    Last edited by gherkin; 2010-10-19 at 06:38 PM.

R.I.P. YARG

Quote Originally Posted by butterzz View Post
    Only reason demo does good in pvp is because of demoform. Without it, demolocks r just free honor.
    Play as a Enhance shaman sometime in PvP : )

I am going to have to break out my lock and try out all these changes, almost tempted to start a new one just to learn everything over...

Demo's mastery is terrible. Not that it ever really has been but demonology is no longer demonology. For the most part Blizz has given up on pets and simple threw some random spells together where they are now trying to give demo some crap niche as fire and shadow.

Demo has only 1 talent which increase felgaurd's damage and it's for one ability. A mastery that increases pet damage is hardly deserving. Also as you've said, the fact the mastery only benefits the lock during a CD is quite lame or at least the way it is currently implemented.

Oh wow... I didnt notice the change to imp soulfire... thats uh... amazing?

15% haste is huge, is there any reason not to rotationally keep that buff up? (In a demo spec, not talking about destro) I mean sure the first one will be slow (or instant if you're smart) but after that you could just recast it when the haste is about to wear off, I hate that you're kinda forced to give up the 1sec reduced cast time for it tho haha (unless haste numbers are substantial enough to make bane not worth it... I know they're close for many now... a rotationally maintained 15% could easily push that up to that point...)

Demo's going to be the new john fucking madden that was feral dps lol, kinda exciting
    Last edited by Affectionate; 2010-10-19 at 08:28 PM.