Page 1 of 8
... LastLast
    Deleted

Deterrence must change

Deterrence is the only ability we have as Hunters to "Shield" our selves from offensive skills/spells against us. Right? I guess not..
    Almost every class has damaging Dots, and we just can't do anything about it. The bad thing is, that most of the casters can fill you with Dots instantly, so Deterrence use is just.. useless, either before or after the Dots stack on you. You must be extremely lucky to avoid instant Dots,
    and if you do, they ll just spam them after the 5 precious seconds of Deterrence. All of them have some kind of shield/heal to earn some time, before
    you lay on the ground. Maybe blizz could somehow improve Deterrence, so for 5 secs Dots wont hurt us..

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Deterrence is fine. Use it to avoid must attacks/spells/dots and give your healer(s) a chance to get to healed, while you don't take a full burst.

Even though, I would not complain if they changed it ;-) Just make us able to attack while it is active and I will be a really happy hunter

Deterrence is sick. Just know what class you are playing against and try to predict when he dots you up and pop deterrence before. When that wears out you still have 3 interrupts so dots shouldnt be hitting to hard before you manage to kill your opponent.

Aaaand, if you get rocketlauncher gloves from engineering you can shoot that while you are in deterrence:>

If it didn't have a draw back, it would just be a hunter bubble. Class homogenisation is bad

15+ Year Old Account
    You would have loved vanilla
    http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...losophy/simple
    Philosophy, Worgen Mage of Magtheridon EU.Mokari, Nelf Hunter of Magtheridon EU (AKA Shikari @ Achindoun). [Currently inactive]

detterance used to give like 25% parry 50% dodge, now u have 100% chance to deflect everything, but for some thats just not enough?

some people dont realise how much better things are, yet are never statisfied and never will be.

Also, hunters are going to get stealth right?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Socialhealer View Post
    detterance used to give like 25% parry 50% dodge, now u have 100% chance to deflect everything, but for some thats just not enough?

some people dont realise how much better things are, yet are never statisfied and never will be.
    Filled with common sense, this one is.

ohh noo detterance!

..jk ambush/backstab.

10+ Year Old Account
    I named my hunter Deterrence and when I read the topic i thought "why what did I do to you? "

I also hate to get dotted down while in deterrence, maybe they should add a glyph that reduces all damage over time by x% while it is active. Rogues have their cloak of shadows glyph, so hunters should get a litte love.

Quote Originally Posted by Condemner View Post
    Also, hunters are going to get stealth right?
    No.
    Well, yes unless you move. When you move, you are not in stealth mode anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Deepfriedegg View Post
    No.
    Well, yes unless you move. When you move, you are not in stealth mode anymore.
    I need to l2readup1st ><

Quote Originally Posted by Torne View Post
    I named my hunter Deterrence and when I read the topic i thought "why what did I do to you? "

I also hate to get dotted down while in deterrence, maybe they should add a glyph that reduces all damage over time by x% while it is active. Rogues have their cloak of shadows glyph, so hunters should get a litte love.
    Kinda like this idea though!

What do you want, another bubble?

The cool down of Deterrence for what it does is pretty amazing, and with pvp talents it's even less.

One of the best defensive ability.

I bet that even if hunters are gonna be OP one day, there will be still some people crying about stuff.
    *cough*Mimijin*cough*

-Deterrance used to increase our parry chance and nothing else.
    -Disengage used to not make us leap backwards.
    -Survival used to be a melee tree which had a final talent that did less than a level 30 warrior's rend.
    -We used to only have 3 Stable slots, as far as I can remember. It might have been 5, but hell you couldn't afford it.
    -Ammo used to only stack to 200 *shudder*

I could go on... I will.

-Multi Shot was useless throughout TBC and WotLK.
    -Volley was useless in Vanilla and TBC and far too prominent in WotLK.
    -We used to have no Silencing shot.
    -We used to have no pet talents.
    -We used to have no Masters' call.
    -We used to have no Wyvern Sting.
    -We used to have to feed our pets way more, and that was the only way to increase their happiness.
    -We used to have to put all our tracking spells and Aspects on the action bars.

These are just off the top of my head.
    You see my point?

You see how much better hunters are than they used to be? You see that you are complaining about a move not being good enough, when before it was only useful against melee, and even then only semi-useful, and the only reason you would use it is so you could get to use counter-attack? Which meant that you could pretty much only counter attack when you used deterrence.
    Now it deflects all incoming damage, and can be talented to reflect, which is incredibly fun, and gives hunters something they never had before.

Deterrence is used to deflect spells when you are about to be completely nuked, or to buy you a few precious seconds till something is off cooldown. It is not a bubble, it is not meant to make you immune, and it doesn't suit the class to wipe dots, hunters aren't magic, they don't cleanse, they aren't healers.

Also, yes, we have way more things to stop ourselves being hit.
    Feign Death to interrupt their cast.
    Silencing shot.
    Scatter shot.
    Wyvern Sting.
    Freezing trap.
    Disengage out of range.
    Intimidation.
    Camouflage will be incredible, always letting us get the first shot off.

Some of these abilities are talent exclusive, but maybe you should get used to the idea of doing things other than Dps. If you really utilize your moves in PvP you wont die to dots, not until you have taken someone with you, at least.
    Last edited by Renagade Raven; 2010-10-20 at 11:32 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Most classes don't even have such ability. For example, Death Knights only have an anti-magic shell, which doesn't remove dots, and only blocks magic, not physical. Warlocks without pets don't have such ability either. As far as i know Warriors have just the same as DK's... You could just say that almost every non-healer class can't remove DoTs, and it is not a bad thing, why else bother with DoTs in PvP?

the game isn't balanced around 1v1. if you get killed by dots, go find a healer. while it would be nice if hunters were not defenseless against dots, its not the end of the world imo.

Deleted
    Just as i thought.
    Everyone seems so cool with their abilities, but i bet you all crushed some buttons of your keyboard when a priest stuffed you with 5-6 Dots in less than 1,5 sec and you die without being able to do a thing.
    Yes Deterrence improved by the time, but by that time, changes happened to all the other classes too. I m talking about the effectiveness of Deterrence against Dot casters, Mages/Priest/Warlocks/Druids. Let the philosophical shit behind and face the truth. I don't want a bubble for my hunter, i certainly don't. I just think that it must change a little bit to give us a chance against these spells.

Quote Originally Posted by Mimijin View Post
    i bet you all crushed some buttons of your keyboard when a priest stuffed you with 5-6 Dots in less than 1,5 sec and you die without being able to do a thing....effectiveness of Deterrence against Dot casters,
    Or, learn how to play.
    Firstly, don't crush your buttons. You see someone casting a dot, or have been dotted and know you are about to get a second one? Silence / scatter / feign death.
    Secondly, a Priest has... 3? Dots, one of which takes 1.5 seconds to cast, so I don't know what you are playing against but it doesn't exist.
    Third, you can kill people very fast, while keeping them silenced and disorientated, much, much faster than the dots can kill you. So how is that fair? All the other classes could complain that Hunters are too good because their attacks kill us faster than our dots kill them.

If you are any good at playing, you will not get killed by dots, before killing the person that used them on you. Not unless there are multiple classes dotting you.

Let's give you a scenario.
    You see a shadow priest running towards you.
    You get in range and use silencing shot. You hurt him, he can do nothing.
    Silencing shot runs out, you scatter shot. You cast another powerful shot, he can do nothing.
    Scatter shot ends, if he is even facing the right way he starts casting vampiric touch, you Feign Death, then immediately shoot, he has taken lots of damage, you are still not taking anything.
    He starts casting again, you pop deterrence, while your dots and pet are attacking him, you are still there not taking anything.
    He dies, you profit.
    Now, just incase he started with Shadow Word: Pain, you would have been taking a little bit of damage throughout, but really, not nearly enough to have any impact on the fight.
    Even if he had got off Pain and Plague, it wouldn't kill you.
    Last edited by Renagade Raven; 2010-10-20 at 12:13 PM.

I disagree with you 100%, deterrence is fine as it is.
    L2PLAY hunter PvP.