Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    I thought they specifically said that it wouldn't be a dagger because it doesn't give the art team anything to work with to make it actually look somewhat legendary.

If it ends up being a caster weapon, it'll have to be a staff.

Priests, shamans, and druids can't use swords.
    Mages and warlocks can't use maces.
    The only class that would be negatively affected by a staff at all would be shaman since they would typically use a 1h + shield, but one out of five isn't bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Raenas View Post
    I agree with this. Sure staves can be used by all dps casters too, but we've already had a staff before and only a dagger can realistically be used to its full potential by ALL of the dps caster classes.

^This.

Blizzard has never, anywhere, stated that it would indeed be a dagger.
    There was definitely specific blizzard quotes about the legendary and how it is unlikely to be a dagger due to art; Legendaries should be big and relatively flashy (Atiesh aside) and dagger's are too small to really do that idea justice. I don't recall if this was a blue quote or from a magazine interview as it was some months ago, but that was the gist of it. They didn't say it WOULDN'T be a dagger or imply that it would be a staff, just that dagger's in general or less than optimal legendary material.

The only other thing we know for sure is that the caster legendary will be the first legendary of Cataclysm, but won't be in the first raid tier. I wouldn't be surprised if it was related to the war of the ancients raid that's inevitable sometime next year as a likely second raid tier.

A dagger can be used by all casters as well plus can be realistically used by all of them as well. Which do you think is more important to Blizzard? Creating something that looks pretty that only some of its intended users can wield? Or creating an only moderately nice-looking weapon that all of its intended users can wield?
    Which DPS caster can't use a staff again?
    I shall die here. Every inch of me shall perish. Every inch, but one. An inch. It is small and it is fragile and it is the only thing in the world worth having. We must never lose it or give it away. We must never let them take it from us.

WTB Sword, just to listen to the QQ from other caster classes lol

Quote Originally Posted by Abandon View Post
    Which DPS caster can't use a staff again?
    They all can, but it's just a drag for shaman to not use a shield. It is very rare to see an ele or resto shaman with a staff instead of a 1h weapon and shield.

Quote Originally Posted by Anoregon View Post
    They all can, but it's just a drag for shaman to not use a shield. It is very rare to see an ele or resto shaman with a staff instead of a 1h weapon and shield.
    I am sure that Elemental Shamans would have no problem with using a staff if the stats and unique effect on it were good enough. Do they gain any specific bonus for using a Shield apart from Armor?
    I shall die here. Every inch of me shall perish. Every inch, but one. An inch. It is small and it is fragile and it is the only thing in the world worth having. We must never lose it or give it away. We must never let them take it from us.

Deleted
    Preferably something a Hunter can use, and souly a Hunter. First they give us the Stars Fury which ofc rogues and warriors can use, then we dont get to use the 2h axe which they could easily have given agility and some kind of ranged chanceonhit ability.

Deathwing's chin.

Quote Originally Posted by Abandon View Post
    I am sure that Elemental Shamans would have no problem with using a staff if the stats and unique effect on it were good enough. Do they gain any specific bonus for using a Shield apart from Armor?
    Not really. It just, well, "feels" off to use a staff as an ele shaman.

Quote Originally Posted by Superguy View Post
    Deathwing's chin.
    Yeah that could be a trineket.... or a NECKLACE!!!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Anoregon View Post
    There was definitely specific blizzard quotes about the legendary and how it is unlikely to be a dagger due to art; Legendaries should be big and relatively flashy (Atiesh aside) and dagger's are too small to really do that idea justice. I don't recall if this was a blue quote or from a magazine interview as it was some months ago, but that was the gist of it. They didn't say it WOULDN'T be a dagger or imply that it would be a staff, just that dagger's in general or less than optimal legendary material.

The only other thing we know for sure is that the caster legendary will be the first legendary of Cataclysm, but won't be in the first raid tier. I wouldn't be surprised if it was related to the war of the ancients raid that's inevitable sometime next year as a likely second raid tier.
    You care to find these alleged blue posts?

Also, you're pretty naïve to actually believe anything that's said in a magazine about something Blizzard hasn't actually come out and publicly announced.
    @dA
    Quote Originally Posted by Bleuh
    Since the invention of the internet, the Earth`s rotation has been solely propelled by english teachers turning in their graves.

Quote Originally Posted by Thedoc23 View Post
    Preferably something a Hunter can use, and souly a Hunter. First they give us the Stars Fury which ofc rogues and warriors can use
    Thunderfury was obtainable as a hunter, that doesn't mean that it went to hunters over warriors.
    Mattsvaliant - 85 BE Paladin - 135+ Mounts - Dragonslayer -

Here's hopin I can get the new caster legendary on my shaman.

Warender - Orc Enhancement Shaman - Mal'Ganis US

Also, you're pretty naïve to actually believe anything that's said in a magazine about something Blizzard hasn't actually come out and publicly announced.
    I'm naive to believe something a blizzard employee said in an interview because the interview was published in a magazine? What?

http://blue.mmo-champion.com/t/25399...ry-weapon-cata

Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    I don't *think* we've confirmed that, but there was a lot of press last week so maybe somebody said something off the cuff.

We haven't put a legendary on the first tier of content the last two expansions. It just feels too soon and doesn't have the same impact when everyone is upgrading their gear so quickly from leveling.

We agree that it's probably the caster's turn when we do get around to adding one. I would be surprised if it was a dagger given that our artists like to have so much fun with the art -- even though Warcraft daggers are as large as claymores from other games, they're still relatively small.
    And here is the source thread:
    http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/th...21463&pageNo=2
    Last edited by Abandon; 2010-10-20 at 07:31 PM.

Thanks for the assist, dog.

Its sounds more like he's speculating then stating a fact.
    Mattsvaliant - 85 BE Paladin - 135+ Mounts - Dragonslayer -

Quote Originally Posted by Mattsvaliant View Post
    A moot point, Warriors can equip everything but wands/relics.
    I always wondered why Warriors were able to equip every legendary regardless if it was designed for them or not while the other classes that were capable of equipping the weapons weren't allowed.

Examples: Twin Blades of Azzinoth - Sword - Warrior/Rogue only.
    Shadowmourne - Two-handed Axe - Warrior/Paladin/Death Knight

Lot's of classes can use a sword and one other class can use two-handed axes but yet they limited it to just those specific classes. And before someone jumps on me saying something like "they're the only classes that could get the most use out of them." That point is irrelevant when a Warrior can equip Val'anyr.

But... back on topic:

I can see the caster legendary being either a dagger or quite possibly a choice between weapon types like a combination of the Ashen Verdict ring selection and the Shadowmourne quest where you choose the type of item you want and then have to go through the process of "making it".

Quote Originally Posted by Mattsvaliant View Post
    Its sounds more like he's speculating then stating a fact.
    A major blizzard employee speculating on what blizzard is doing is a little more concrete than random forum guys doing the same.