Page 1 of 16
... LastLast

Frostmages out of control

OK... in 1 wsg match this mage did almost 2 mill dmg (second highest was 800k), 40 kb and 1 death. Armory: http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sh...k&cn=Suk%C3%AD

He basically 2 shotted everyone. freeze, frostbolt with like 0.5 sec cast time and two ice lances. boom. all that takes him 2 sec and you dont stand a chance... 12k 11k 11k GG. Find new target, repeat. He + healer could solo half our team... Even if you have alot of resi, the dmg is still completely ridiculous

edit: Either blizz is comlpetely brain damaged, or they made mages this powerful on purpose. Anyway i quit yesterday and i won't be returning for cata because im sick of playing a game developed by a bunch of gorillas.
    Last edited by Chad warden; 2010-11-18 at 06:33 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Ice lance will hit for ~6k on a target with good resilience, maybe 7 if cooldowns are up.

Trinket deep freezes and cleanse normal freezes, mages can't do jack to an unfrozen target.

Quote Originally Posted by Maharishi View Post
    Ice lance will hit for ~6k on a target with good resilience, maybe 7 if cooldowns are up.

Trinket deep freezes and cleanse normal freezes, mages can't do jack to an unfrozen target.
    ^ truth.

also, don't come crying about mages when any pve geared caster with zerker and a healbot can 2-3 shot someone. we have enough QQ, and "omg casters + healbot=op" is nothing new.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    If [the dps] are on the wrong target, then they are playing badly and should be corrected and / or mocked, depending on how you roll.

oo 6k is so small... and when u hit 7k with frost bolt and then ice lance 6k two times thats 19k in 2 sec!!! And then deep freeze for another 3 ice lances? U cant just look at how high the numbers are...

People defending mages, why?

Resto Druids are also fine according to you guys?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Chad warden View Post
    oo 6k is so small... and when u hit 7k with frost bolt and then ice lance 6k two times thats 19k in 2 sec!!! And then deep freeze for another 3 ice lances? U cant just look at how high the numbers are...
    I didn't realize that mages no longer had to obey the GCD. If you want to have an intelligent discussion about this, exaggerating doesn't really help you.

Mage burst is high right now, but so are a lot of classes. It just shows more for mages because they burst while the target is stunned, so it's more frustrating. Right now mages really cannot do much damage unless they set up deep freeze, ie 2k frostbolts, and 1k ice lances if the target isn't frozen/ no FoF up.

Deleted
    OK... in 1 wsg match this mage did almost 2 mill dmg (second highest was 800k), 40 kb and 1 death. Armory: http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sh...k&cn=Suk%C3%AD

He basically 2 shotted everyone. freeze, frostbolt with like 0.5 sec cast time and two ice lances. boom. all that takes him 2 sec and you dont stand a chance... 12k 11k 11k GG. Find new target, repeat. He + healer could solo half our team... Even if you have alot of resi, the dmg is still completely ridiculous
    lol, thats me ^^

Nerf mages, nerf resto druids. Nerf holy pallys gg

I didn't realize that mages no longer had to obey the GCD. If you want to have an intelligent discussion about this, exaggerating doesn't really help you.

Mage burst is high right now, but so are a lot of classes. It just shows more for mages because they burst while the target is stunned, so it's more frustrating. Right now mages really cannot do much damage unless they set up deep freeze, ie 2k frostbolts, and 1k ice lances if the target isn't frozen/ no FoF up.
    the second icelance takes only i gcd, so it takes only 1 gcd from the first time he takes dmg to the second icelance...

and 1k icelances??? you must be high or something... icelance does same dmg as frostbolt, not twice as low... and u hit way higher then that

He basically 2 shotted everyone.

freeze,
    frostbolt with like 0.5 sec cast time and
    two ice lances. boom.
    2-shot with 4 spells?

He + healer could solo half our team...
    2 people soloed?

---

You need to work on your mathiness

10+ Year Old Account
    Mage in full wrathful + heroic ICC25 gear + heroic DFO did the most damage in a BG.....going to the forums to tell everyone about it.
    (that seems to be the current trend anyway).
    If a frostmage and a healer were able to kill your team, it's a pretty good indicator that your team completely sucked

1) Stack resil like you're supposed to, you're not a unique snowflake that can ignore the changes in 4.0
    2) Mash the dispel button on the Frost Mage and/or his targets
    3) Render his damage and CC useless
    WoW Character: Wintel - Frostmourne (OCE)
    Gaming rig: i7 7700K, GTX 1080 Ti, 16GB DDR4, BenQ 144hz 1440p

Signature art courtesy of Blitzkatze

Fingers of frost.

Ohhhh, I went there!

And resilience doesn't matter. a mage can crit you for crazy amounts with extremely high survivability, with an instant cast spell with no CD, and almost no way to stop the incoming damage.

Ice lance should be nerfed, frostbolt should be added back onto Fingers of Frost, and then maybe frost mages would be normal again.

This is coming from a former frost mage. The spec is insane and out of whack. It's not just the non-mages who hate it.

Sorry to burst your bubble but the Mage Pet can invoke 2 charges of Fingers of Frost by using Freeze, which make the next attack the mage uses act as if the target was frozen.

Personally I love how most of the people defending mages have mage sigs
    "When life gives you lemons, don't make Lemonade! You make life take the lemons back. Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons!" - Cave Johnson

Quote Originally Posted by Lynix View Post
    It only makes sense. Playing a mage makes you aware of their weaknesses.

Quote Originally Posted by Lynix View Post
    <--- Has a frost mage sig.

/hates on mages.

Fire ftw.

Deleted
    With 1300 resi i take about 7-9k ice lance crits. Thats pretty much in any situation.

Ive stopped playing my mage since 4.0, Ive seen good geared frost mages kill ppl with good resi during deep freeze. No trinket rdy? You are dead. And now mages got more ways to freeze ppl, and If they got FoF / elemental freezing their targets, you cannot dispell.
    You ppl actually enjoy playing overpowered class? Or just dont want to believe it?
    I hated my paladin at pre-wotlk patch, I knew that ANYTHING I did didnt take ANY skill. On my feral druid or on my warrior I actually have to think what to do.

Mages are the Fotm(Flavor of the month) class to bitch about atm.. sure we got alot of burst, but as stated before its only because you're stunned while being bursted that it makes it so frustrating..

Take before the patch for example, warrior bladestorm was bithced about so much that they made it disarm'able.. (Not saying it was an unfair change)

QQ'ing and whining about pvp up untill cataclysm at this point is pointless.. blizzard released this patch to be balanced at lvl 85, but people kept whining (and prob for pve purposes aswell) so much that the numbers got nerfed and then rebuffed in Cataclysm..

(inb4 only defending mages because im a mage)

Too bad that deep freeze only has a 30s cooldown and trinket does not. Can you kill a decent frost mage in 30s? No, you can't.

I have 1400 resilence and I got hit for 3 * 7k ice lance and that's probably not the highest amount possible.