Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Arms in 4.0/Cata

Well, all i wanted to ask is: is Arms viable for PvE in 4.0/will it be in Cata? by viable i mean if it can catch up with Fury. Thanks for responses

I think a lot of conjecture around arms is fruitless atm. Warriors being normalized but not able to properly gear for the specs makes the numbers odd and hard to predict. I imagine as you pick up more 300+ Ilvl gear there will be more parses and data around arms vs fury.

For now though Arms, is losing in the dps race against fury.

Thanks, i was thinking what 2nd spec should i choose, and i couldnt choose from Arms and Fury, as i like the arms rotation more, well if its losing in DPS, guess i will have to stick with fury as my offspec.

If you like arms more than fury and its not far behind in DPS then play.I didnt really like stuff like "Thats the spec with the most DPS.Ok i will play it."Its a game where you should have fun playing it.So if you have a nice GM try to explain him that you want to spec arms because its more fun to you.If you are a min/max guy play fury
    "In our world those who dont care about the rules are called trash but those who dont care about their friends are even worse than trash."

On the beta, I'm getting 40k crits with slam, not Shield Slam, SLAM! Its insane. And thats without raid buffs. I'm pulling quite a bit more DPS as arms at the moment, but I've only tried SMF as fury.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaellen View Post
    On the beta, I'm getting 40k crits with slam, not Shield Slam, SLAM! Its insane. And thats without raid buffs. I'm pulling quite a bit more DPS as arms at the moment, but I've only tried SMF as fury.
    could you ask some other guys from the beta how much dps theyre getting now?

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfmarine View Post
    Well, all i wanted to ask is: is Arms viable for PvE in 4.0/will it be in Cata? by viable i mean if it can catch up with Fury. Thanks for responses
    Very much so.

Arms and fury are both contenders for number one dps on beta at the moment.

The difference is fury pulls consistent numbers whereas arms, as always, is super bursty. Which once again puts arms as far better than fury in PvP.

My dps as arms on Argoloth (tol barad boss) 10 man was 14k
    As fury it was around 13.8k. Discrepancy was very likely due to RNG.

I'm pretty sure my numbers are quite a bit lower than others are pulling atm but thats just my two cents.
    Quote Originally Posted by High Overlord Saurfang
    "I am he who watches they. I am the fist of retribution. That which does quell the recalcitrant. Dare you defy the Warchief? Dare you face my merciless judgement?"
    i7-6700 @2.8GHz | Nvidia GTX 960M | 16GB DDR4-2400MHz | 1 TB Toshiba SSD| Dell XPS 15

Arms is just as good as fury in Beta, and even on live for certain encounters. There just aren't enough Arms proponents to speak up for it since Fury is easy-mode DPS and Arms takes a little work to perfect, therefore everyone flocks to Fury instead. An Arms Warrior who knows how to raid as an Arms Warrior can pull off some pretty impressive DPS.

Fury is NOT easy mode dps.

The changes made sure of this.

Both specs have their perks, their easy and difficult sides.

For arms its managing to fit in slams properly into the rotation and following SD procs.

For fury its managing enrage and following slam procs.

Having played both I'd definitely say that managing enrages (zerker rage eating gcds etc.) is a lot tougher than managing slam.
    Quote Originally Posted by High Overlord Saurfang
    "I am he who watches they. I am the fist of retribution. That which does quell the recalcitrant. Dare you defy the Warchief? Dare you face my merciless judgement?"
    i7-6700 @2.8GHz | Nvidia GTX 960M | 16GB DDR4-2400MHz | 1 TB Toshiba SSD| Dell XPS 15

I have the feeling we'll need lots of hit & haste at 85 to get some decent rage as fury so i might pick arms as offspec instead. Another plus only need to get 1 weapon for offspec instead of 2 although single minded fury with tankweapons might be decent as well.
    At 80 fury>arms since colossus smash is at 81 and we have insane combatratings giving us 27% hit and still a bunch of haste and crit.

Quote Originally Posted by Flaks View Post

For arms its managing to fit in slams properly into the rotation and following SD procs.

Having played both I'd definitely say that managing enrages (zerker rage eating gcds etc.) is a lot tougher than managing slam.
    I dunno I personally find Fury as kinda face-roll DPS and pretty simple. Arms feels a lot more rewarding when you get good at it (which I have not yet accomplished to my satisfaction). That's just my personal opinion though and we all know the saying about those.

15+ Year Old Account
    In my experiences, Fury feels alot more straight forward compared to arms. While you're still managing your enrage cooldowns as Fury, it doesn't feel as critical as Arms trying to manage your rends, OPs and SD procs, as well as maximizing dps by placing MS at the right time. As it stands, Fury dps does not feel as layered as Arms. However I'm not saying thats totally bad, Blizzard probably intended this since Arms is still the superior spec for PvP.

Quote Originally Posted by Flaks View Post

Fury will more then likely turn into the same thing blizzard intends combat rogues to be. Micro managers. From my own experimentation that Ive done with my warrior, Arms is a bit like the Mutilate spec for rogues, easy, high burst, and basic target debuff control (rend,Col smash).
    Fury on the other hand has much more to manage, you need to watch your procs, time your cds, use trinkets at exactly the right time and wait for the right moment to produce as much damage as possible(Normally bloodlust). Yes there are times when things are consistent however there are other times where if you don't pay very close attention you are gonna miss out on a bout 2k dps here and there. If you played a combat rogue through Ulduar this should be very easy for you to adjust to.

I could be wrong but on face value thats where I see fury heading in Cata.
    Last edited by Carni; 2010-10-31 at 07:16 AM.

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    I wont bash Fury... but its not a tricky spec to play either, I tried it on beta(unexperience warrior)and I had no trouble picking up the rotation and managing cooldowns, thats if I were doing it right. I've focus more on arms though the rotation again isn't out of this world but its fun gotta stay on your toes for cooldowns.

I wish I could test arms dps in raids but I've yet to be able to get into one(elitist are picky) to give some accurate numbers... but from what I manage to get on target dummies is a 13k+(heroic 85 dummy) average give and take if I am doing the rotation right, many say its good other say its bad.

Deleted
    everytime arms warrior targets me my warlock cries hehe this is my nemesis class atm [got warrior myself]

My warrior will never budge from PVE arms, unless something completely breaks and prevents the class from performing at all. 3.3.5a version of PVE arms was perfectly fine for me; I often was around the middle to middle top with relatively average gear (mostly 264/251, but horrible trinkets because they are -always- reserved...) and this is compared to Illidan's Blood Legion ICC25 12/12 with 9/12 HM pug (The usual raid participants were almost full 277), though I haven't been playing recently. Regardless, I finally got my gemming and reforging to the point that I'm comfortable with the performance of my warrior again and I'm back to pulling similar numbers.

My main peeve versus Fury is that it has always been a braindead playstyle. It hasn't changed at all between wotlk and cata (at 80) with the exception that you use RB on single target, and berserker rage in the absence of an enrage if you really need it. To me, arms feels like it has a lot more going on, and that's the main reason why I'll never go fury.

Colossus Smash at 81 plus the procs to refresh CS is going to make arms even more fun in the sense that it'll be much easier to distinguish the bad arms warriors from the exceptional ones. Also, I feel like I have more utility now (Aside from keeping debuffs/sunder and Shattering Throw) with the advent of Pummel in battle stance. I will never hesitate to interupt now, especially since the PVE build includes drums of war, which means free interupts! Rogues and fury warriors and to a lesser extent DKs can't really afford spending the resources for an interupt without anticipating something to interupt, which requires pooling resources and gimping your DPS to guarantee the resources to interrupt, though shamans and ret palas (when talented) basically get free interrupts too; mana is such a great resource in that it's a large pool and is usually full and not the limiting factor in those classes dps.
    Last edited by blahssat; 2010-10-31 at 11:59 AM.

Deleted
    as far i've seen arms is the dps role in raid atm (BETA)

on beta so far i've tried out all three pve dps specs and i've had about 300 dps difference from lowest to highest.

in dps order:
    top: Fury TG - 13978dps (Heroic Dummy)
    second: Arms - 13773dps (Heroic Dummy)
    lowest: Fury SMF - 13677dps (Heroic Dummy)

so it seems to vary from player to player but thats what i've found so far

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by BrotherGriMM View Post
    on beta so far i've tried out all three pve dps specs and i've had about 300 dps difference from lowest to highest.

in dps order:
    top: Fury TG - 13978dps (Heroic Dummy)
    second: Arms - 13773dps (Heroic Dummy)
    lowest: Fury SMF - 13677dps (Heroic Dummy)

so it seems to vary from player to player but thats what i've found so far
    That ain't much, so now we can play whatever we want. DW One Handed, DW Two Handed, or ARMS MAAAN!

Colossus smash + inner rage + cds + procs = really imbalanced damage.. Did an instance with my premade SMF warrior in 346 gear yesterday and had 82k heroic strike crits, 55k bloodthirst crits and 77k slam crits.. And for some reason I kept pulling agro on bosses.