Shadow PvP 4.0.1

Not sure if this should be posted in a stickied thread, but after searching for info for Shadow PvP stuff I ended up making a post over at Shadowpriest.com figured I should share it here too.

I took the liberty of making a wowhead profile to share.

http://www.wowhead.com/profile=21692500

Refore crit to haste.

The spec:
    http://www.wowhead.com/talent#bcZZhrGzrkbddfo:skMMok0zV

Reasons for not getting certain talents
    No Mind Melt (ELJEFFE's explination) the execute range for is fairly small in pvp, those points are over kill. Specially since it hits like a wet noodle above 25% health.

No Twisted Faith, I put those points in Masochism

I grab 3/3 Twin Disciplines instead of 1/3 and 2/2 Imp Shadow Word: Pain because as I see it, 6% more for all spells and heals is better than 2% for all heals and spells other than Shadow Word: Pain, where Shadow Word: Pain gets 8% more damage.

You can also put the points from Masochism into Imp Shadow Word: Pain if you like.

Glyphs:
    Primes
    Dispersion - Pretty obvious.

Shadow Word: Pain - I chose Shadow Word: Pain over Mind Flay because as I see it, if your Shadow Word: Pain is getting dispelled, Mind Flay is useless. If it's not getting Dispelled, 10% harder Shadow Word: Pain are awesome, specially if you like to tab dot everything in sight as much as I do.

Shadow Word: Death - If the enemy managed to get a heal while below 25% health, having Shadow Word: Death back up is convenient. I guess you could use Mind Flay if you wanted.

Majors
    Fade - a 15 second snare removal is really really really nice.

Mass Dispel - near instant Mass Dispel, what's not to like?

Psychic Horror - Do you really need an explanation?

You can also use Fear Ward in place of Mass Dispel or Fade if you like.

Minors
    Fading - Cheaper fade is nice.

Levitate - Death from above the Lumber Mill to the Blacksmith anyone?

Shadow Fiend - Poor buddy, at least you'll give me something even if you die

Edit: Removed abbreviations and this is the spec I'll be using at 85

http://wowtal.com/#k=_5QTIENEG.a6d.priest.qZVhu3
    I'll be switch in Glyph of Mind Spike for either of the Shadow Word glyphs.
    Last edited by BobAwesome; 2010-10-23 at 04:21 PM.
    Priest Warrior
    You are not your role. You are not how much gold you have on your account.
    You are not the mount you ride. You are not the contents of your bank.
    You are not your epic purples. You are not a special and unique snowflake.
    You are the all-grinding, all-farming crap of Azeroth.

For me it's only 4% physical damage reduction. I'd much rather get that Iceblock or Divine Shield down faster so I can interrupt the heal. Even helps getting the people out of Frost Novas faster. But if you have problems with melee, then be my guest, use the Inner Fire glyph.
    Priest Warrior

Why not drop 1 point out of masochism and 1 out of Twin Disciplines and stick it into twisted faith for 2% shadow damage and a free +hit so you don't have to use the cloak with hit on it and don't have to reforge gear? Without spirit on gear alone, it's 186 hit rating for me at lvl 80. Also you are gimping your shadow word death a lot by not getting mind melt. And looking at your lvl 85 build, do you really think that you are going to be standing still long enough to channel mind flay to stack evangelism? Does 1 "cast" of mind flay put up one stack of evangelism or is it per "tick"?
    Last edited by Popesickle; 2010-10-22 at 05:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Popesickle View Post
    Why not drop 1 point out in masochism and stick it into twisted faith so you don't have to use the cloak with hit on it and don't have to reforge gear? Also you are gimping your shadow word death a lot by not getting mind melt.
    I don't have any spirit on my gear, Twisted Faith isn't going to give me any hit. Concerning Mind Melt, you're not gimping your Shadow Word: Death damage because the execute range is so small. Let's say the average player is sitting at 30k health. Shadow Word: Deaths execute range is 7.5k health. Doesn't matter if you hit for 20k or 10k, you're still going to kill him. I'd spend the points on something else.
    Last edited by BobAwesome; 2010-10-22 at 05:37 PM.
    Priest Warrior

Base spirit naked is 186 for me, that's more than 4% hit. Wow I fail, its not from base spirit, I just read it. Nevermind then, sorry.

Glyph of Dispel Magic is very good also considering its healing for as much as a renew tick does (and it helps alot against destro locks, frost mages, anything else that puts up magic's on you.)

Spec: http://www.wowhead.com/talent#bMhZZGrMdrkrzzso

Twisted faith because currently our 4 set is nonexistent and pointless for shadow (I use 2 piece set bonus to sit at a comfy 1412 resil) so the spirit gives me 6% hit (plus you can reforge some spirit to haste if your over hit capped).

Imp Mind Blast isn't needed considering most other classes bring an MS into play (plus shadow orbs are gimmicky and unreliable at best).

I dropped Pain and Suffering because the SW backlash above 25% is a joke (hits for like 800) and because i wanted to fit points elsewhere and i really dont mind refreshing pain on different targets.

Also, its well known now that Sin and Punishment can be removed via /cancelaura so i only took one point in it jic the healer doesn't know about it.

And mental Agility is fantastic i rarely have mana problems even through heavy casting and dispelling, Masochism and Sfiend with some spirit = GG right now.

Just my two cents

Regarding the 4 piece, 75 Int is pretty nice IMO. Is anyone reforging any of your stats into mastery or haste?

Quote Originally Posted by Devanox View Post
    Glyph of Dispel Magic is very good also considering its healing for as much as a renew tick does (and it helps alot against destro locks, frost mages, anything else that puts up magic's on you.)

Spec: http://www.wowhead.com/talent#bMhZZGrMdrkrzzso

Twisted faith because currently our 4 set is nonexistent and pointless for shadow (I use 2 piece set bonus to sit at a comfy 1412 resil) so the spirit gives me 6% hit (plus you can reforge some spirit to haste if your over hit capped).

Imp Mind Blast isn't needed considering most other classes bring an MS into play (plus shadow orbs are gimmicky and unreliable at best).

I dropped Pain and Suffering because the SW backlash above 25% is a joke (hits for like 800) and because i wanted to fit points elsewhere and i really dont mind refreshing pain on different targets.

Also, its well known now that Sin and Punishment can be removed via /cancelaura so i only took one point in it jic the healer doesn't know about it.

And mental Agility is fantastic i rarely have mana problems even through heavy casting and dispelling, Masochism and Sfiend with some spirit = GG right now.

Just my two cents
    You can do the double 2 piece set bonus from mixing spirit and crit sets, but I'm not sure you realize that resilience doesn't reduce your chance to be crit anymore. I say this because you didn't pick Paralysis. No more crit chance reduction also means you'll be getting crit more often which means more shadow orbs from Harness Shadows. Imp Mind Blast is looking pretty good at this point, right?

Regarding the 4 piece, 75 Int is pretty nice IMO. Is anyone reforging any of your stats into mastery or haste?
    Haste vs. Crit is all personal preference. I wouldn't go with mastery until 85 or 81, when we get Mind Spike. Right now it only effects Mind Blast and you won't have any problems getting shadow orbs in pvp.
    Last edited by BobAwesome; 2010-10-22 at 06:01 PM.
    Priest Warrior

I have 144 mastery, which means each shadow orb buffs mind blast damage by 47%, you don't think that's helpful? Without any shadow orbs, mind blast is hitting for 3500, with three orbs and my mastery it hits for 8.5k.
    Last edited by Popesickle; 2010-10-22 at 06:17 PM.

I have 144 mastery, which means each shadow orb buffs mind blast damage by 47%, you don't think that's helpful?
    I guess wasn't reading the mastery right, 47% more damage per orb does seem attractive. Would that be 141% more damage for your Mind Blast? I'm actually really bad at math =/

I actually haven't tried our mastery out yet.
    Priest Warrior

I reforged the crit on my 4 pieces of satin gear to mastery. I still have a 22% chance to crit. 141% more damage is right though. (8500-3500)/3500= 1.42. I guess it's just hard to justify the fact that mastery is only applying to mind blast and we will only see the benefit with 3 orbs stacked. Would having more crit be more beneficial, more chances to proc paralysis, etc.? Once we have mind spike, I think mastery will be a lot better for sure. Without any mastery at all, it's 34% per orb, which means roughly 7k mind blast damage without and mastery on gear. So my mastery on my gear is giving me roughly 1.5k more damage on mind blast. Not sure its worth it. Probably the extra crit from not reforging my gear, or switching the mastery to haste would be a better idea?
    Last edited by Popesickle; 2010-10-22 at 06:28 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I reforged the crit on my 4 pieces of satin gear to mastery. I still have a 22% chance to crit. 141% more damage is right though. (8500-3500)/3500= 1.42. I guess it's just hard to justify the fact that mastery is only applying to mind blast and we will only see the benefit with 3 orbs stacked. Would having more crit be more beneficial, more chances to proc paralysis, etc.? Once we have mind spike, I think mastery will be a lot better for sure. Without any mastery at all, it's 34% per orb, which means roughly 7k mind blast damage without and mastery on gear. So my mastery on my gear is giving me roughly 1.5k more damage on mind blast. Not sure its worth it. Probably the extra crit from not reforging my gear, or switching the mastery to haste would be a better idea?
    I think so, haste effects all of your spells so DoT pressure will be much high and you will have short cast time so less time worrying about getting kicked.

With the Ashen 277 Ring having 51 hit, I reforged the spirit on my frozen bonespike and the crit on my relentless helm to hit and had enough so I could drop twisted faith and pick up twin disciplines. Once I replace my weapon, I'll have zero spirit. I'm still in awe that I didn't read it closer, I thought it was all spirit (including base spirit) converted to hit.

Yeah, I'm going to reforge the crit on my gear to haste. I'll still have a fairly decent crit rate, but faster dot ticks and casting is extremely clutch. Specially with Shadow Word: Pain scaling with haste now will mean more Shadowy Apparitions popping up
    Priest Warrior