Deleted

Question How do Armor and Resilience add up?

Hello everybody,

I just wondered what the calculaton of Res and Arm might be like.

-It's rather not just an additon of my 60% less dmg from physical sources through armor and 40% less player dmg through resilience.

-But is it like 0.4 x 0.6 = 0,24 = 24% dmg is left? In this case it would be 240 dmg points (out of a 1 000 dmg) hit remaining.

-Or is it calculated one after the other: 1 000 hit --> substract Armor first --> 400 hit --> and now substract resilience = 160.
    But is that possible? A 1 000 hit reduced to 160?

Does anyone have a clue? I'm sorry if this has been asked already.

Quote Originally Posted by Arynor View Post
    -But is it like 0.4 x 0.6 = 0,24 = 24% dmg is left? In this case it would be 240 dmg points (out of a 1 000 dmg) hit remaining.
    It's this one. Just to be clear Resilience only applies vs damage from other players or their pets and armor only vs physical damage.

I'm pretty sure it goes like this:

(1 - 0.6) x (1 - 0.4) = 0.24 or 24% physical damage taken

Take a melee hit for 1000 damage you will take 240 as u showed and damage reductions are multiplied and not addition(spelling?).

1000*0.4*0.6=240

Deleted
    Ok. Then it's somehow how I imagined it to be.

76% dmg reduction against physical attacks is really nice ... only 40% against spells though :-/
    Should rather glyph Divine Protection to make it 40% spell instead of 20% all I think.

Thanks for the useful help!

Deleted
    ...Or is it calculated one after the other: 1 000 hit --> substract Armor first --> 400 hit --> and now substract resilience = 160.
    Dude, I'm pretty sure if you substract 40% from 400 you get 240 and not 160 (400 x 0.6 = 240). So it's pretty much the same thing

Deleted
    Damn maths. Of course you're right. Sorry for that.

But basically it's 76% dmg reduction for my holy paladin against physical attacks in PvP.

I can definitely live with that!

I would keep in mind that the 60% physical damage mitigation that you see on your paperdoll is a 60% reduction as compared to 0 armor, which is not a realistic scenario. Factoring armor and resilience together therefore is only meaningful theoretically, it really doesn't tell you anything all that important about your relative survivability, because classes that deal physical dps are not balanced around attacking targets with 0 armor.

Deleted
    -Or is it calculated one after the other: 1 000 hit --> substract Armor first --> 400 hit --> and now substract resilience = 160.
    May I ask how you got to 160?
    1,000 hit unmitigated
    1,000 * 0,4 = 400 hit after subtracting armour
    400 * 0,6 = 240 hit after subtracting resilience

Deleted
    We already sorted that out. I mixed up the numbers and it should have been 240 as well.

Quote Originally Posted by underdogba View Post
    I would keep in mind that the 60% physical damage mitigation that you see on your paperdoll is a 60% reduction as compared to 0 armor, which is not a realistic scenario. Factoring armor and resilience together therefore is only meaningful theoretically, it really doesn't tell you anything all that important about your relative survivability, because classes that deal physical dps are not balanced around attacking targets with 0 armor.
    saved me so much time of writing this all myself. the % reduction is meaningless, really.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    If [the dps] are on the wrong target, then they are playing badly and should be corrected and / or mocked, depending on how you roll.

Some classes either have Ignore Armor %, can Reduce your armor by %, or have certain attacks that also have a magic/bleed counterpart which fully ignore armor. So the armor isnt really all it's cracked up to be.

Damn maths. Of course you're right. Sorry for that.

But basically it's 76% dmg reduction for my holy paladin against physical attacks in PvP.

I can definitely live with that!
    lol, yes i bet you can, combine it with a broken dps class like a mage or lock or god forbid a ret pala and you will be near unbeatable, the only problem is thats why the game is falling apart, to many classes re-designed for kids to play. put those classes in the hands of a skilled playersuch as your self and ouch not much fun for anyone who doesn have 1300 resil and a child friendly overpowered class lol