Deleted

Profession change for Cataclysm

Hey lads

I currenly have an 80 icc geared warlock. i have a maxed enchanting with almost all of the recipes. i also have Tailoring at 448 skill.

i chose these initially to cut down on farming while leveling. the majority of the mats came to me as i powered through the levels. I am aware that these professions give good bonuses to your dps ie the light-weave proc and the 2 ring enchants (+46 sp in total) i think.

Now that i have settled into my character i find that these professions are rather lackluster fun wise and dont make major money on my server at least. I am considering dropping 1 or both of these and wouldn't mind a farming skill combo. such as skinning/ mining/herbalism and their paired crafting skill. i have quite a bit of money as it stands and would even be able to drop both for a completely new pair of skills. but im at a loss at what to choose.

Any thoughts lads.? i will need at least 1 skill to provide a good dps synergy such as the sp of enchanting. but id like a farming/crafting pair.

thank lads for any help in advance
    Last edited by mmoc21829a8d84; 2010-10-22 at 08:54 PM.

I'd say that if you want a profession that gives a good bonus to your toon's power and is a strong money maker, JC is the way to go. The special JC gems give you the same power boost as ring enchants (in fact, the boost is better before the release of epics gems in an expansion, since they're not balanced around blue quality gems).

And being a JC is a huuuge gold source. Buying raw gems, cutting them, and re-posting them for profit is just free money (I can often get between 20% and 200% profit per gem, and it can be much more early in an expansion). If you go JC, I highly recommend getting the Auctionator addon, as it will make posting large quantities of gems much easier.

A good support prof is mining, though the power buff from that is only useful in PVP (It gives a 120 stam bonus at max level). The ore and gems you get are going to sell like hotcakes for the first several months of cata. JCs and Blacksmiths will be chomping at the bit for ore and gems, so it'll really be a seller's market.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by coredumperror View Post
    I'd say that if you want a profession that gives a good bonus to your toon's power and is a strong money maker, JC is the way to go. The special JC gems give you the same power boost as ring enchants (in fact, the boost is better before the release of epics gems in an expansion, since they're not balanced around blue quality gems).

And being a JC is a huuuge gold source. Buying raw gems, cutting them, and re-posting them for profit is just free money (I can often get between 20% and 200% profit per gem, and it can be much more early in an expansion). If you go JC, I highly recommend getting the Auctionator addon, as it will make posting large quantities of gems much easier.

A good support prof is mining, though the power buff from that is only useful in PVP (It gives a 120 stam bonus at max level). The ore and gems you get are going to sell like hotcakes for the first several months of cata. JCs and Blacksmiths will be chomping at the bit for ore and gems, so it'll really be a seller's market.
    Excellent reply thanks man. Yeah ive been seeing the market for gems exploding in wealth the last week or so with all the regemming going on. i think that ill give a serious thought to this suggestion. unless others can convince me otherwise that is

ty for your reply dude.

Engineering.

Engineering enchants stack with normal enchants. You get haste, crit, 23 sp + parachute, rocket boots... its endless fun.

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    What the "best" professions are is being debated in several different places.

Personally, I'm sitting with Enchanting and Engineering, and have no intent on changing. Enchanting is a solid money maker in the long run (DEing unused quest rewards, if nothing else) and a DPS boost. Engineering is just so danged USEFUL (and fun!): portals, parachutes, etc.

I've got an alt JC/Alchemist for printing money, so that's covered.

Your mileage may vary.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Just remember, tailors will be able to reforge cloth armor in Cata, and as it stands so far from what I've read from this site, wowhead and a few others the engineering items will be used by engineers only for the most part, my pally was a BS/miner, but dropped BS for JC so. Just my 2c.

Tailoring/Enchanting are a great combo, will continue to be a great combo, are both independent of anything else, but also help level one another.

Honestly, unless you dislike one of them, I'd advise you to stick with those two.

When wotlk launched, I dropped tailoring for JC because it was so bad at the time (and JC was super overpowered), and ended up dropping JC to pick up tailoring a couple months ago (because JC had been nerfed for a while, and I was worried about the cost of leveling it in cata). The point is, swapping professions for a relatively minor benefit can be a costly, and often regrettably temporary endeavor.

“There is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so.”

Quote Originally Posted by Dunefire View Post
    Just remember, tailors will be able to reforge cloth armor in Cata, and as it stands so far from what I've read from this site, wowhead and a few others the engineering items will be used by engineers only for the most part, my pally was a BS/miner, but dropped BS for JC so. Just my 2c.
    Actually you are rather out of date there.
    Reforging is now performed at NPC's, not profession linked anymore.
    It is now a case of unique profession bonuses, most of which are pretty passive damage or throughput increases.
    Engineering is more a personal benefit, offering in most cases non-damage or non-throughput increases.
    It comes down to if you are able to utilise active choices, or simply want a set and forget.

Fun + Usability = Engi! also great dps increase.
    Gold: JC and Ench
    More gold but not reccomended: Mining and Herbing
    Personally i use ench+Engi, but for Cata i might go JC if i know abit more about proffesions

15+ Year Old Account
    You should be able to make alot of money from your enchanting if you use it well and control the market by keeping your scrolls at the bottom price.

I ve went for Enchanting/Mining on my Warlock for cata. Gonna keep them untill the market for ore drops down and the easy money from farming goes away. I will then level JC instead of mining and roll on the JC bandwagon for the rest of the expansion.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigtimmy View Post
    Tailoring/Enchanting are a great combo, will continue to be a great combo, are both independent of anything else, but also help level one another.

Honestly, unless you dislike one of them, I'd advise you to stick with those two.

When wotlk launched, I dropped tailoring for JC because it was so bad at the time (and JC was super overpowered), and ended up dropping JC to pick up tailoring a couple months ago (because JC had been nerfed for a while, and I was worried about the cost of leveling it in cata). The point is, swapping professions for a relatively minor benefit can be a costly, and often regrettably temporary endeavor.
    Thanks for all the replies that you have given lads. brilliant stuff.

However im quoting the reply from big timmy because im probably going to stick with it. I asked my mate and told him i was considering changing and he is usually my wow conscience. And he told me i was F**king mad to drop either of them now that ive managed to get them pretty much both to maximum. and what if it turns out i dont like my new skills either.

In regards to making money from Enchanting ive looked over the market on my server and it looks like selling the plain mats is more lucrative than scrolls. and it seems that Bags are selling very well (asking a buddy)

I do however like the alchemy herbalism thing, not to mention that new mount, i think ill save that one for my cataclysm alt. or skinning/ leather-working (depending on the class, hunter for the latter)

Thanks for all your replies but im now set in stone that ill keep what i have. i should be focusing on my dots rather than on whats keeping me occupied between dungeons/raids.

Cheers

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ComputerNerd View Post
    Actually you are rather out of date there.
    Reforging is now performed at NPC's, not profession linked anymore.
    It is now a case of unique profession bonuses, most of which are pretty passive damage or throughput increases.
    Engineering is more a personal benefit, offering in most cases non-damage or non-throughput increases.
    It comes down to if you are able to utilise active choices, or simply want a set and forget.
    I stand Corrected, I was under the impression that they were gonna make it so gear was going to be reforgable by yourself as well as NPC's it would save you money in the long run by doing it yourself. It would still be cool if it was available for players.

As a demo lock....I already have max alchemy...would it be beneficial to get herbalism as well?? The lifeblood now grants a haste buff. My other prof is Tailoring, which doesnt have a haste buff.

Other question, do engineering tinkering overwrite existing enchants? Or can you have two enchants on gloves, one from Eng and one from Ench?

Thank you all!

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    my biggest issue with tailoring is that it becomes very un-useful very quickly. In ICC I used it to make one thing, so it becomes almost irrelevant. I use enchanting all the time, but tailoring...meh. I might switch to JC.

I did forget about the leg enchant...i guess i stopped caring about it when they took the spirit buff went away. Oh yay! I can have 50+useless stat or 50+slightly less useless stat! (stam).

My vote goes towards Engineering and Jewelcrafting. Engineering tinkers stack with enchants on gear, and with the new setup reforging there's no reason not to use 3x3 kinds of Dragons Eyes. The DPS increases from these two professions outweigh anything before.
    "I love you guys. Like, seriously. If you didn't care you wouldn't be posting, and I appreciate you caring. Even if you're going kookoo-bananas." - Bashiok

Quote Originally Posted by weewarrior View Post
    my biggest issue with tailoring is that it becomes very un-useful very quickly. In ICC I used it to make one thing, so it becomes almost irrelevant. I use enchanting all the time, but tailoring...meh. I might switch to JC.

I did forget about the leg enchant...i guess i stopped caring about it when they took the spirit buff went away. Oh yay! I can have 50+useless stat or 50+slightly less useless stat! (stam).
    The tailoring cloak enchant is pretty great, don't forget. Hence, tailoring is currently a BiS profession for warlocks (by 25 dps, but still). Things may change slightly for Cataclysm, but it will still be a great buff profession.

Edit: Tailoring may no longer be BiS now since engineering stuff stacks with normal enchants. In any case, it's definitely good (and I'm not so sure how long the double chant stuff will last).
    Last edited by Bigtimmy; 2010-10-26 at 04:38 AM.

“There is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so.”

15+ Year Old Account
    "Best" depends on what people are after. The best dps professions is something players chase in PvE.
    Lets face it, 95% of players got a skillcap where it wont be noticable if player X get 14 more dps from having profession X instead of Y.

What does one aim to get?
    * fun prof. (Engi)
    * gold maker (jc)
    * no cost to lvl profession (tailoring, enchanting, herb, skinning)
    * best dps (one is probably not good enough for the small difference to show anyway)

Are ofc combos to be made of all profession but too many go look for dps only which is pretty silly.
    But soon after Mr Xi secured a third term, Apple released a new version of the feature in China, limiting its scope. Now Chinese users of iPhones and other Apple devices are restricted to a 10-minute window when receiving files from people who are not listed as a contact. After 10 minutes, users can only receive files from contacts.
    Apple did not explain why the update was first introduced in China, but over the years, the tech giant has been criticised for appeasing Beijing.