Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ...
    guess I am minority but I am happy with not cutting parts from BRD.. its long but still one of my favorite dungeons.

Really its time to take the RP out of WoW and just call it an MMOG, because without getting lost, there really isn't any real sense of roll playing*. As many have said, most of the fun in many of the old dungeons is getting lost, taking wrong turns, or even going down a road that leads to absolutely nothing. Long before i knew all the old instances inside and out, half of the fun was getting into a group with someone who actually "knew" the place and could take you to bosses that you didn't know existed; and then passing that onto other players who also hadn't learned of that boss yet.

But with this design philosophy, they've jumbled it into a linear FPS type map, where the outcome is predictable. In fact, i would say it even has less choice than some FPS's. Take Left4Dead for example. Sure your goal is to get from one safe room to the other, but even then you have different routes you can take along the way. Slide through the back rooms and alleys? Or just straight through the mass of zombies with all guns blazing? The new design looks to even take that choice away. Your path is set before you, and the only deviance to that path is to "tip toe" past one of the trash mobs, instead of offering a safer, if not more tedious, alternate route. These aren't dungeons, they're cattle shoots.

Blizzards new model = Herd the cows through the shoot and let them get their loot. /moo

*Roll playing in this sense means the following; Getting lost on the way to the instance. Getting lost in the instance. Learning where all the bosses were. Learning the best route to get to said bosses (Think of Strat - there are two routes to take to clear the 3 Ziggerauts, @ 60 this also meant 2 different ways to pull trash, and which way each could be pulled most efficiently. There are also 2 routes that connect Live side to Undead side, not counting service entrance, and only one of those ways has a boss) And probably many many other ways that involve discovery, little easter eggs, and fun in general.

Quote Originally Posted by neuropsycho View Post
    I quit in July during the RealID dust up and these updates just confirm I made the right decision.

I played the game 4 years straight and this just sums it up (as given by a previous poster):

http://img132.imageshack.us/img132/1...7780184632.jpg

These dungeons are joke. If you want to have a quick game, load up Team Fortress or your favorite shooter. Chopping 2 levels out of ST? It wasn't that hard! Just have everyone stand at the stone and click it. You might have to double back on like 2 if you get the order wrong, but it is not hard! Not only are the dungeons getting shorter, you just have to visit them once and then you can magically teleport to them from anywhere in the world. The amount of lazyness from the developers is just getting out of control.

The point of a dungeon is to explore and to get lost. I remember running around like crazy all over the place in Uldaman going up and down tunnels to get to the next part. Now it seems this is all gone...dungeons are a loot pinata: let's see how we can get to the end the fastest while skipping as much content as we can.

Ah well, it was a good 4 years!
    And you're still posting in a WOW board after all this time....

---------- Post added 2010-10-23 at 12:06 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Vashdakari View Post
    Really its time to take the RP out of WoW and just call it an MMOG, because without getting lost, there really isn't any real sense of roll playing*. As many have said, most of the fun in many of the old dungeons is getting lost, taking wrong turns, or even going down a road that leads to absolutely nothing. Long before i knew all the old instances inside and out, half of the fun was getting into a group with someone who actually "knew" the place and could take you to bosses that you didn't know existed; and then passing that onto other players who also hadn't learned of that boss yet.

But with this design philosophy, they've jumbled it into a linear FPS type map, where the outcome is predictable. In fact, i would say it even has less choice than some FPS's. Take Left4Dead for example. Sure your goal is to get from one safe room to the other, but even then you have different routes you can take along the way. Slide through the back rooms and alleys? Or just straight through the mass of zombies with all guns blazing? The new design looks to even take that choice away. Your path is set before you, and the only deviance to that path is to "tip toe" past one of the trash mobs, instead of offering a safer, if not more tedious, alternate route. These aren't dungeons, they're cattle shoots.

Blizzards new model = Herd the cows through the shoot and let them get their loot. /moo

*Roll playing in this sense means the following; Getting lost on the way to the instance. Getting lost in the instance. Learning where all the bosses were. Learning the best route to get to said bosses (Think of Strat - there are two routes to take to clear the 3 Ziggerauts, @ 60 this also meant 2 different ways to pull trash, and which way each could be pulled most efficiently. There are also 2 routes that connect Live side to Undead side, not counting service entrance, and only one of those ways has a boss) And probably many many other ways that involve discovery, little easter eggs, and fun in general.
    Cry, and cry some more.

So much casuality it is starting to be annoying. Seriously, instead of talking about making dungeons more interesting by adding hidden locations and secret/rare bosses (which Vanilla was full of), they make sure to make them more casual... Seriously, the dungeon quests like the ogre suit run or rare bosses were loads of fun, why did they all vanish in TBC/Wotlk? All the fun and exploration just went away, making WoW feel like McDonalds of MMOs.
    Last edited by Cronnix; 2010-10-23 at 12:17 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cronnix View Post
    So much casuality it is starting to be annoying. Seriously, instead of talking about making dungeons more interesting by adding hidden locations and secret/rare bosses (which Vanilla was full of), they make sure to make them more casual... Seriously, the dungeon quests like the ogre suit run or rare bosses were loads of fun, why did they all vanish in TBC/Wotlk? All the fun and exploration just went away, making WoW feel like McDonalds of MMOs.
    Aye

Deleted
    edited

Quote Originally Posted by slashbase View Post
    And you're still posting in a WOW board after all this time....
    Do you have anything more interesting to add to an intelligent, honest critique of the game? I wanted to see if it was worth coming back and I find out that Blizzard is hacking and slashing out content. During my hiatus, I've tried FF XIV, LoTRO, Runes of Magic, 4Story, etc. They stink compared to WoW.

So, tell me where I'm wrong:

We are getting no new continent/world
    We are getting a new profession called Archaeology that no longer provides any benefits
    Guild talents were scraped, even though they were interesting (replaced with guild "benefits")
    Older dungeons/raids are getting nerfed/removed (Deadmines, SF, ZG)
    Newer dungeons are getting simplified/less complex (I like the cow analogy above)
    Gear is getting "dumbed" down (is it really that hard to figure out what piece gear is better for you?)

Combine all that with the fact I already have seven level 80s and a bank character, an expansion dedicated to 1-60 leveling doesn't really do anything for level 80s, does it?

Now, if they bought back a classic realm, say a level cap of 70, I would be all over that, since I didn't do all the raids in BC (basically just Karazhan and Zul'Aman).
    Last edited by neuropsycho; 2010-10-23 at 06:41 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by MauroR View Post
    Oh, another asshole. The irony.
    Look! Even more irony!

Quote Originally Posted by Aunor View Post
    im glad you quited aswell, now il be even more glad if you piss off from this forum aswell, thank you very much in advance.
    Your typing is amazing.

Deleted
    I wonder how they will overcome the obnoxious challenge of balancing 10/25 raids. What is more distressing, however, is the fact that they withdrew the benefit for raiding in group of 25 people.

Login screen looks like Deathwing is taking a dump on Stormwind.

Quote Originally Posted by neuropsycho View Post
    The point of a dungeon is to explore and to get lost.
    This very sentence invalidates the rest of your post. No, the point of a dungeon is to do the content in it.

You ask for more? Then come, traveler, to the Whispering Deep, where only the mad walk.
    Raid Idea: The Whispering Deep and Ny'alotha

Quote Originally Posted by Ihnasir View Post
    Umbra - you are a god.

Quote Originally Posted by davep View Post
    They will obviously, there's not point in releasing new 5mans if the loot isn't better then the raids that were previously up. Would you have seriously done the new ICC's if the stuff you got from it was worse then what you got from ToC/Ulduar? I personally wouldn't even have looked at it.
    Lore? Getting imersed with the story behind the raid you're about to get into? New fights? New places? Even a damn chain to earn you more "emblems" than you were supposed to get with the random heroic + raid for that week??

I had way better gear than ICC5 could provide me (even if it was only item level comparision) and did the 3 places the same way. Nothing (except for a few items, generally trinkets) inside that could beat ToC25/ToC25H gear (258/245 > random 232), but ppl did the place anyway...

Lore + quest chains + new places/bosses + achievments sometimes >>>>>> new epics...

---------- Post added 2010-10-25 at 02:58 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Vashdakari View Post

That means adding longevity to a content, wich isn't the case of WoW anymore. Content is now aimed for a player to be done with it very fast (like a few weeks in the case of leveling + dungeon/raid and 1, 2 weeks for just a new patch). They used to have the dream of a new expansion ($$$) per year, but that didn't worked out (yet).

But I guess even the most hardcore fans of the former wow can benefit from this new philosophy. They can just do the content and logout of the game to do other stuff. Even playing more games (wich is bad for Blizzard, because some players can end up never comming back. Some of my friends ended up enjoying other MMOs or spending more time with their PS3/Xbox360 single/multiplayer games).

I find it very sad that we don't have rare spawns (with some cool drops) anymore in the 5man for examplen. That was very cool in classic.
    Last edited by VanishO2; 2010-10-25 at 03:01 PM.

the most thing that kills the 25 man guilds in wow is the attendance
    so the 10 man guilds will have no issue with that