Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by dakoeda View Post
    ungoens are supposed to teach players how to play, now let me tell you one thing mister DPS, if you join a semi-decent PvE guild, and start pulling like mental in a raid, Id love to hear how long you are going to last.
    Some people even find guilds in the first place by being good in 5's, especially new players. Less so now with cross-realm LFG, but playing correctly and intelligently gives you a chance to make friends and potential raiding partners, whereas being an obnoxious idiot gets you nowhere.

i recently started tanking some isntances for my friends new alts, and they generally just pull shit on sight. I don't blame them, i do that myself on my main. I really just have no time to wait for people to sit and polish their chestplate before the next pull.
    On the other hand, since 4.0.1 and the mechanics for future content being implemented ( harder hitting spells, ect, ect) dps classes generally tend to overaggro even a quite well geared tank. There's hardly anything you can do about it tho, things just dont hit hard enough for vengeance to stack.
    So yeh, you pull it you tank it works atm. Player characters dont die anyway, they havent in the last 2 content patches.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordea View Post
    Incorrect. Rage Normalisation means they get 100% of their rage from white hits, additionally warriors have an additional ability where they generate 50% more rage on targets not targeting them, and I assume bears have similar
    Not true Warriors have shield Specialization and get rage from blocks

http://www.wowhead.com/spell=12725

Deleted
    I'm looking forward to cataclysm, most thanks to tards like the OP. I would like to see you pull a group of mobs that each hit for 15k on tankers, and just sit by idle and watch as your character dies.

You (the op) and any other one that plays like this will be so wtfpwned in cata that I feel tanking will be retardly fun to play.

I always que as a tank with a healer from my guild. If anyone finds the pace slow and starts pulling on their own they die. If I see an incoming misdirect I just bubble or click it of and they die.

Most of the time I rush through HC's but there is always people that start the first conversation with "I'm in a hurry, got like 10 minutes can we do this fast please?"

Then I wait for 15 seconds, usually by then they start pulling, and they die.

Ahhh, what if he was talking to someone IRL? Talking in guild chat? You know the game doesn't just revolve around you. I usually give people around 15 secs of unannounced break unless they say "brb phone/bio/my cat died/etc". Your life in wow isn't gonna end waiting for that extra 15 secs. It's heaps rude if you just pull the room without being the tank. Imagine if the situation is reversed, not such a good thought anymore hey?

This thread sounds like some people getting their epeen shrunk because it takes them 5 minutes extra to do a dungeon.

Right.. I had a lot of crap written down, but ultimately decided to dumb it down for you.

If you have aggro you are the Tank of the mob. If you and the healer are fine with that, the Tank should just go on his merry way and tank other stuff.
    But if you pull aggro and die like an idiot, you have NO rights WHATSOEVER to complain to the Tank... And you should pat yourself on the shoulder for just making the run even slower than if you had just waited for the Tank.
    And it is because idiots like this ALWAYS complain when they die like the ninjapulling idiots that they are that the Tank rages.

TL : DR.
    You pull it, you tank it.
    (This signature was removed for violation of the Avatar & Signature Guidelines) :-(

Scenario:
    You are a dps character. You are in a group with a tank that is pulling slower than the speed of smell. You have great gear and you are confident that you can pull a heroic pack SOLO and you have the knowledge and skillset to be able to cc/dps/kill the entire pack with little to no help from the rest of the group. You proceed to do so, get halfway through killing said pack, when the rest of your group shows up. The tank(who believes that his sole duty on this planet to pull AND tank EVERY group no matter the circumstance) gets bent out of shape because you pulled a group without him. You finish killing the pack of mobs that you pulled and there is ZERO added stress besides the fact that your tank's epeen is hurt because he didn't get to pull EVERY mob in the instance. The tank then initiates a vote kick, and it succeeds because well, let's face it, I'd venture to say that 50+% of the players in this game click yes when the box pops up just to get it out of the way. This causes the dps to have to wait another 15 minutes just because the tank got bent out of shape for really no apparent reason other than his pride was hurt. <====This has happened on various dps characters of mine

In the above scenario, I not once told anyone they were bad, or weren't pulling fast enough--hell, most of the time I don't say anything, I just pull. I'm not expecting help, I'm not yelling, I couldn't care less if I get zero help--As stated, I've planned for that.

Now, I'm not advocating that any dps class should start pulling every single pack, but it's rather ridiculous that occasionally you don't want to spend 30 minutes in a dungeon that 4 out of 5 people greatly outgear because a tank is pulling slowly. I have a tank character, and I don't really care if a DPS pulls groups, I taunt the mob they have highest aggro on, grab the rest of them, and if the dps continues to get the mob, I assume they knew it was coming and can handle it(but most likely by this time, the mob is dead).
    Last edited by Pokerkin; 2010-10-25 at 10:21 PM.

Blademaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    Personally, more so on my DK than my other tanks, Death and Decay is now on a 30 sec CD which isn't usually up for the next pull, dps depending. Although there is blood boil and heart strike, which hits 3 instead of two now, likely if the dps is high enough to kill the trash that fast, then just blood boil or heart strike aren't going to do the trick without both diseases up. And once again, since impatience is the topic here, you know they aren't going to wait for 3 global cool downs to apply and spread said diseases.
    At this point I just tank in Blood Presence, in tank gear and using Frost spec. I don't even need to use Death and Decay as mobs seem to stick to me better than marmite sticks to Twiglets when I use Howling Blast. Granted I'm not crit immune but who cares when you're running most dungeons with 50k+ hp =D

Quote Originally Posted by Pokerkin View Post
    Now, I'm not advocating that any dps class should start pulling every single pack, but it's rather ridiculous that occasionally you don't want to spend 30 minutes in a dungeon that 4 out of 5 people greatly outgear because a tank is pulling slowly. I have a tank character, and I don't really care if a DPS pulls groups, I taunt the mob they have highest aggro on, grab the rest of them, and if the dps continues to get the mob, I assume they knew it was coming and can handle it(but most likely by this time, the mob is dead).
    I can agree that you or anyone wanna spend anymore time than necessary in dungeons, however just pulling in the next mobs without telling the rest of your team that you don't wanna waste time is simply RUDE. Its probably fine for you since thats your play style (as indicated by your last sentence) but again not everyone else has the same mentality. If you are so good a DPS you can kill mobs without anyone else why the hell would you even go in a group? I don't understand this whole "I'm good enough to kill mobs by myself I don't need the rest of the group" kind of thinking.

I can agree that it might look rude not saying anything and just pulling, but I'd rather not say anything than say something about speeding up to anyone in the group because inevitably even mentioning speeding up slightly makes the tank mad once again resulting in a vote kick. I guess I'll keep eating vote kicks until I learn to be more patient :P

To clarify, I don't just start pulling groups in every 5 man I get into--I'm more than willing to be patient if someone actually says, "I have to AFK for 'x' amount of time." I can even understand people having the doorbell ring and afking for a minute or two. It's not like I'm requiring chain pulls through the entire instance either. It's just when tanks are sitting there for 10-20 seconds between every pull when the entire group is at 70+% mana. I realize now that it sounded in my first post that I just chain pulled if the tank didn't immediately pull after the previous group died--that wasn't necessarily what I meant, I was merely referencing to the OP's post about tanks taking absurdly long times consistently between pulls.

As for the "I'm good enough to kill mobs by myself attitude", sometimes I just wanna join a group and kill stuff--I don't wanna sit around for 20+ seconds every pull waiting for someone and when you're in a majority 277+gear, ya, it's pretty easy to accomplish soloing a group in a heroic instance. I'm not claiming to be the jesus of WoW dps, but it really isn't hard to take groups in ICC purples.
    Last edited by Pokerkin; 2010-10-26 at 01:49 AM.

you must just have bad luck with tanks... when i play mine i have two rules... A) shut up, keep up and dont be a dick. B) you pull it you tank it.. (you die not my fault) have them set to a macro.. so far ive had no complaints about my speed... i dont spend any time standing around or even talking unless i really have to

so yeah.. you just got bad luck with tanks

10+ Year Old Account
    Your best bet would be to roll a rogue or hunter, to be honest. The ability to tricks the slow tank and run in Fanning mob packs is just one more reason to love my rogue. Tanks can hardly complain at that point... they have the threat and they didn't even have to do anything.
    Warrior, Paladin, Shaman, Rogue, Priest, Death Knight, Warlock 80s on Dragonmaw, Thunderhorn, and Maelstrom.

Deathknights are just warriors who have lost their warrior beard. You can be a badass, but just know you weren't badass enough to keep your warrior beard so the beard killed you and forces you to wander the earth without it. (Revised and quoted from warcrimes)

As a tank, I don't have a problem if you start a small group/melee pull before me if I'm right behind you, or if you are geared enough to blow it up fast.

But this is an example, to the extreme, of why I prefer to pull myself: HoS. In the middle where there are three pats, all with casters. Mr. Gogogo opens up on one group. Other groups aggro. Healer reacts to dps taking damage. There are now about five untouched casters assailing the healer. I t-clap/swipe/D&D the melee group. Other dps open up on melee while I try to round up as many casters as I can before the healer dies. While I am trying to keep the casters (which nobody bothered to CC) off of the healer the other dps have now pulled aggro on the melee mobs. Etc, and we wipe. And Mr. Gogogo had taken his ritalin and been able to wait for the six seconds it would've taken me to get there, pull, and let the mobs come away from the other pats, we wouldn't have to run back.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vordea View Post
    Incorrect. Rage Normalisation means they get 100% of their rage from white hits, additionally warriors have an additional ability where they generate 50% more rage on targets not targeting them, and I assume bears have similar
    Incorrect. We still get rage from both white hits, and damage taken. The rage from damage taken was just normalized around how much health we have.

10+ Year Old Account
    To answer op's question; The lower level the tank is, the fewer abilities he got to regain aggro from a triggerhappy dps. I can fully understand why tanks take their time in lower level dungeons or lvl 80 normals. Atleast if they are new tanks, trying to learn. Having mobs flying all over the place isn't gonna help a new tank's confidence.

I have two active lvl 80 tank chars, and I am pretty confident when it comes to doing my job. Be that with my guildies, or with complete strangers. I usually pull faster than the dps can react, but it still happens that I get a trigger-happy guy with a "gogogogo" macro, pulling before me. I usually don't mind. It's not hurting me. The healer is usually the first one to complain. But if it's screwing up my positioning, or making me waste cooldowns to save his behind, I usually tell him off. If he doesn't stop, vote-kick usually works just fine on a dps

But yeah, basic rule; You spank it, you tank it.

it confuses me too. as a rogue with recuperate I can survive lunging into pulls solo with minimal heals. so I do on the easier instances. I don't die, but the tank goes frothing mad and ragequits, leaving me to (successfully) tank the entire instance for him.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

i just hate it when bad dps, dps before or same same time i pull and wonder why they die and say my tanking sucks