10+ Year Old Account

Hot Streak Procs

In 4.0.1 Hot Streak is intended to proc in two ways

1. The same as before, two consecutive critical direct damage strikes. (Improved Hot Streak)
    2. A random chance on a single direct damage critical. (normal Hot Streak talent)

However, after very unscientifically watching combat text and procs, I have yet to see HS proc off a single crit. So it seems there are three possibilities.

1. I'm wrong, it does proc fine.
    2. The hot streak of a random crit has an ICD which is activated when a two crit hot streak is active, so the random crit hot streak never is even off ICD.
    3. It's bugged.

Anyone know which one of the three it is?

4. The second talent overwrites the first talent?

not sure about this btw..

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Chareoss View Post
    4. The second talent overwrites the first talent?

not sure about this btw..
    I'd find this hard to believe, because with cata starter gear, we'll be what, 20% crit raid buffed, which gives any two direct damages spells a 4 percent chance to proc hot streak.

I mean, i guess that may be the case, but fire's going to be pretty much fireball spam -> lb -> fireball spam if it is, with the super rare HS proc.

No the first talent is meant to help fire mages with low crit, while the second one rewards higher crit, However you can still get a Hot Streak proc at high crit levels from the single crit, they work together

Also even if you don't get a hot-streak proc I'd imagine it's best to keep the pyroblast dot up 100% of the time; considering mastery, sure the cast time is longer, but it also hits harder and you still have a hot streak chance from it etc etc

Quote Originally Posted by Voltair View Post
    No the first talent is meant to help fire mages with low crit, while the second one rewards higher crit, However you can still get a Hot Streak proc at high crit levels from the single crit, they work together

Also even if you don't get a hot-streak proc I'd imagine it's best to keep the pyroblast dot up 100% of the time; considering mastery, sure the cast time is longer, but it also hits harder and you still have a hot streak chance from it etc etc
    First, a disclaimer, I haven't been to EJ for more than 5 minutes to read about 4.0 changes.

I believe a few weeks ago somebody posted here about something that Ej was discussing. After something like 46% crit (my memory of the number could easily be wrong, but the concept stands) the first talent (one crit proc) no longer works. I believe it is also supposed to scale the proc rate down as crit goes up. Did you try testing it with very low crit (naked)? Again, I have no real knowledge or evidence as to the validity of this, but I definitely read it somewhere.

Let's get some empirical evidence shall we, about the 46% crit.
    On live:

5% crit, butt naked.
    100 fireballs
    8 pyroblasts
    Pyroblast! only triggered on non crits. (I never got 2 fireball crits in a row) on a 80 target dummy.

42% crit, with gear.

100 fireballs
    12 pyroblasts

Pyroblast! did not trigger if Pyroblast! critted followed by a Fireball crit.
    Pyroblast! did not trigger if Pyroblast! didn't crit followed by a Fireball crit.
    Pyroblast! did not trigger if Fireball didn't crit twice in a row.

Seems it's even lower than 46% crit. Hot Streak did not work for me at 42% crit, only Improved Hot Streak worked.
    I'm not sure if Improved Hot Streak works properly at 5% crit because I never got two fireball crits in a row.

Edit: Tried both /cast Pyroblast & /cast Pyroblast! in a second test, and the outcome was the same.

I also didn't take into account of base crit chance (Crit Chance % = (Intellect / 166.6667) + Class Constant) formula. Nonetheless, dosn't work as suspected at these crit levels.

I had 4 more pyroblasts with 37% more crit. Seems to scale almost perfectly with crit %.
    37% increase of 8 = Almost 3 on the digit.
    3 + 8 = 11
    Pretty close to the 12 I had on the test. One could draw the conclusion that each % crit gives the same % chance to proc a Pyroblast!

I'm aware that you can only get a plausible result after 100 attempts, anyone who's experienced with statistical analysis knows it requires alot more than that. But it gives an approximate idea in how it works atleast. More crit, more pyroblasts. One talent overrides the other at a certain %. Exactly where? I'm leaving that to EJ.
    Last edited by Juber; 2010-10-25 at 11:46 AM.

I believe the % for Tier3 HS to stop working was around 43%

http://elitistjerks.com/f75/t104767-...ed_4_01_a/p12/

At around 25% crit Tier4 HS becomes more worthwhile than T3, and as you continue to scale up in crit chance the T3 falls down to pratically 0.