Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Seems to me its random, since i got AVG, Bitdefender and Spybot running scans every 12 hours. And I havent changed my routine with websites or opening strange e-mails + alot of people I know seems to have had their accs suspended like this recently.

Either its blizz way to randomly verify accounts to the person or a new scaretactic to boost authenticator sales.

Quote Originally Posted by Zaquel View Post
    No its not, its a fact that blizzard has security like this.
    I used to go to school on a place that had banned the Battle.net. So i used "Your Freedom" A program that makes you run over a new IP adress and thereby go around the blacklist. Used in northkorea and stuff like that. Now i live in denmark, and i could use a german server in "Your freedom" so it appeared i was in germany, and enter the game without any problems. But if i used a american server, my account would instantly get a 12 hour ban (they implented this at the last semester. When they started this, i stopped doing it..) So if it appeares that it its a great geographic distance would trigger this. Now, i dont know how far you travel, but if you go from Sweeden to canada, i BET YOU that you would get locked for 12 hours. If you travel from Sweeden to Norway tho..

This is just my idea of how it works.. But it does work.
    I have never heard of this, and it would seem overly aggressive to fighting hackers. Lots of people travel, and Blizzard im sure would put a warning out this was in place so people didnt think the wrong idea. I can also personally say changing locations of over 3000km does not trigger a lock.

Also I think you are getting mixed up with the programs people were using to get lower pings (such as lowerping) which caused unusual IP jumps to speed up service and regularly show up false positives for illegal game play.

What you are referring to is not logging in a different place but using a program to simulate you logging in from another place, which has repeatedly been shown to cause people to get bans.

On topic - if your getting the error from the wow client something has happened, be careful with the email however, I regularly get personally addressed ones from hackers, latest one was asking me to buy online ticket to blizzcon with false links. Check the header, check the links before clicking on anything. Or even better go in through via account management to be even safer

Quote Originally Posted by Zaquel View Post
    No its not, its a fact that blizzard has security like this.
    I used to go to school on a place that had banned the Battle.net. So i used "Your Freedom" A program that makes you run over a new IP adress and thereby go around the blacklist. Used in northkorea and stuff like that. Now i live in denmark, and i could use a german server in "Your freedom" so it appeared i was in germany, and enter the game without any problems. But if i used a american server, my account would instantly get a 12 hour ban (they implented this at the last semester. When they started this, i stopped doing it..) So if it appeares that it its a great geographic distance would trigger this. Now, i dont know how far you travel, but if you go from Sweeden to canada, i BET YOU that you would get locked for 12 hours. If you travel from Sweeden to Norway tho..

This is just my idea of how it works.. But it does work.

It goes by how QUICKLY the log ins occur. OF COURSE if they see you log in from Germany and then a North American IP MINUTES later something is fishy. When you actual travel though it is MANY hours (or days) inbetween your IP changes.

In short, they have an algorithm in place that takes into account many variables, not JUST the distance/location, that would be stupid.

EX - <PIE CHART> US TOP 10 Check 'em out http://piechart-guild.com/

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Authenticators!!! They're hard.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Deleted
    i got my account locked 3 times now by tring to login at my girlfriends laptop, i asked a gm about it. its a new security mechanism and it sucks somehow...

Quote Originally Posted by Daemonis View Post
    Get an authenticator, costs a few quid, unless you have an iPhone
    android phones have the same app for free too.

10+ Year Old Account
    I get similar e-mails to this pretty much every day.

I always do a 'fake' reply saying about how concerned I am but this link is broken that they have given me really wanting a reply but they never do.

Seriously though, if you have any doubts, never use any links they send in the e-mail - log into the game and log in to correct way or go to account management of the official blizz page.
    2 girls 1 cup is the most disgusting thing I've seen 8 times

I just recalled: when that happened to me, I was at a friend abroad and logging in from her computer. Therefore, the "logging in from some place else" theory seems to be valid.