Thread: Tanking help

Deleted

Tanking help

Hi guys,

I'm trying to pick my warrior back up, but am struggling with a couple things and hope you can help.

I'm currently specced/geared - eu.wowarmory.com/character-talents.xml?r=Hellscream&cn=Hordack

Could you look over the spec and let me know if its ok.

Also I'm having problems doing any kind of decent DPS in heroics only averaging around 2400-2900. I'm following the guides on what rotations to use but just cant seem to do any more, which is causing threat issues, especially on packs. I see people on here have been hitting 20k shield slams and stuff, and I cant remember getting much more than 5k hits with it.

I know its not my job to do DPS, but just keep agro, but I'm obviously doing something fundermentally wrong.

I'm getting a bit depressed with my warrior, and have even considered dumping him for one of my other characters.

Obviously I could really do with a new shield just not had much luck in ToC or ICC with that.

Please help to restore my love for tanking!

If you hold agro whats the prob? Your job is to take damage not give it.

Quote Originally Posted by Macrae View Post
    If you hold agro whats the prob? Your job is to take damage not give it.
    He's implying that his dps is too low to keep the aggro. I would suggest you go get the ilvl 270 arena shield. It currently only costs 70 honor and despite the rating requirement that it shows, you can equip it. Heroics will generally be somewhat difficult now, not because you are a terrible tank but because the way the game is changing, we simply do not have the aoe threat gen that we did. Also, the biggest cause of your frustration is stupid dps that is so used to aoe spamfests that they no longer wait for you to establish any kind of initial threat, and often times do the pulls themselves. I'd think if you went in a raid environment with a coordinated team, you would have an easier time.

Run a heroic with some friends and see if it helps. Have them at least give you a thunderclap or a shockwave, and see what happens.

Deleted
    To be honest, I'm not overly worried about aoe spammers in heroics.

More worried about why my dps seems to be much lower that all the other warriors. My gear isnt exactly terrible. I know that we're tanking and not dps-ing, but there must be a reason for mine being lower, which means I'm missing something crucial in the class.

Also I'm having issues even soloing Anzu and the ZG mount bosses, compared to my feral drood who has far far worse gear.

My drood is finishing these fights on 100% hp (obviously its getting some healing from Leader of the pack) where as I'm struggling to stay alive and need to blow all my cooldowns.

I'm failing fairly badly, as you can tell

Deleted
    If you're worried about damage but not threat, use TC less. Cleave, Shockwave, Revenge have prio in 5-mans. Glyph Cleave and Shockwave, don't use Blood and Thunder unless you chainpull lots of mobs, make sure you cap/softcap hit/expertise.

Blablabla. Enchant Berserking on a slow weapon, get a dps trinket or two, sit on 2p T10.

Personally, i have noticed a painful AOE threat nerf with the 4.0 patch. But that is par for their design for the new expansion. If your struggling to have fun as a warrior tanking, then move over to dps and remove the pressure until you have the gear that can help you hold a decent TPS. But, even the bet geared tanks atm, will lose aggro to a putz aoe wotlk dpser.

Vanilla players remember CC, Assist, reactive healing, more cc, kiting. Wotlk players, know only AOE, and Gearscore. BC fits in the middle somewhere. =D Cata i believe will move us more towards the Vanilla skillsets again, but it will be a painful shift for some imho.

AOE is just fine if the DPS gives you a GCD. With Blood and thunder and thunderstruck you can hold mobs. I am dual spec'd prot so I have an AE and a single target spec.

If you charge, rend, then thunderclap you should be fine IF the dps waits until thunderclap. If you have trigger happy DPS then I charge, TC, SW, rend, Cleave(off GCD) and TC. Rage can be an issue with the latter.

I have found if you keep moving fast, then DPS is trailing and you can get a rend, TC off before they start.