Poll: Do you kill every single mob in a dungeon while leveling?

Do you clear dungeons completely while leveling?

Almost every single dungeon has packs of mobs that can be avoided in the process of clearing them, as they're not in the way of getting to bosses. When leveling, do you clear every single pack of mobs for XP, or skip the optional ones so you can get the dungeon done faster and get back to solo leveling/another dungeon run/etc.? Let's assume for the sake of argument that every single boss in the dungeon is being downed, and you aren't skipping any (ala Halls of Stone).

For example, I was just in a Gundrak run where the group jumped down into the water after we killed the Colossus, then came back up the ramp and killed all the groups of mobs 'for extra XP' before running back down to do Moo'rabi. I had never seen anyone EVER kill those mobs before. It's always been 'finish the dungeon quicker so you can get back in there faster'.

15+ Year Old Account
    First, not that big a deal. I've leveled all tanking classes to 80. Many many dungeons along the way. The reason I don't finish them is because people leave once they get that loot bag. Otherwise I would finish them.
    my SWTOR referal link:
    http://www.swtor.com/r/CVCyHD

Well, when lvling its a tradeoff. If you rush to the end you get your xp gold and loot then can continue to your next random, but you loss the extra xp. Most ppl prefer the 10 mins of dungeon, random blue and money.

As for me, it depends. Some instances are just too spread out for all that. But for the most part when i tank i pull everything, quickly i might add.

10+ Year Old Account
    Extra mobs are more XP. That is why I am in there to begin with.
    We are WARRIORS man! If we can't make it bleed, we will sure as hell dent the f%^ck out of it!

Quote Originally Posted by Tholl View Post
    This

10+ Year Old Account
    as a quick answer, i try to clear them if im the tank, except for the more lengthy ones, but moving forward, and considering the 'consolidation' of instances, i will be clearing them in thier entirety from now on

I try to get every boss, but the odd trash pack in the corner of a room gets skipped.

If you're a tank its quite easy to do if you know the instance, avoid the loot bag boss, especially in places like the lower half of BRD

Quote Originally Posted by select20 View Post
    First, not that big a deal.
    Never said it was a big deal, just confuzzled me is all and I wanted to get a general consensus on what people normally do.

Quote Originally Posted by rantus View Post
    I try to get every boss, but the odd trash pack in the corner of a room gets skipped.

If you're a tank its quite easy to do if you know the instance, avoid the loot bag boss, especially in places like the lower half of BRD
    Pretty much this^

i usually dont, because people leave. Although i did an almsot entire ST run last night, the grp was kind enough not to break apart and clear the very bottom so i could turn in the quests i had.

Derailed the Cereal Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Tholl View Post
    The point is, if you skip them you get to the end more quickly, then you can get into the next run/quest/whatever more quickly. Its a trade off of that xp for more time questing, the next run, or whatever.

I treat dungeons as a mission, that mission being the death of the bosses and completion of whatever quests. I would not go out my way to kill trash for XP. When I quest I don't grind across the map killing everything, I use my mount. Achieving goals is what makes levelling fun.

I think the problem occurs due to the two mindsets:
    1. Explore the story of the world, levelling by interesting quests. But ofc still doing dungeons because they're interesting and fun.
    2. Burn to 80 without paying attention to anything else. I mean, all the fun is in the raids.

#2 wants to maximise their XP per hour, but #1 just wants to enjoy the dungeon and then move on to something else.

For lower level raids (anything that won't have a heroic mode at 80) I like to see everything since you experience them so rarely.

For any raid that has an 80-heroic mode, I'll skip a ton of stuff just because I'm really tired of the instance. Just let me get my quests for the dungeon done and move along.

Deleted
    I usually do, but since I mostly level DPS nowadays (AKA, I have no say in anything.) most people just skip them. All the better since they give a shitload of XP when soloed

Well since my last 3 toons I leveled where tanks I say it greatly depends on the dungeon and the DPS. Some dungeons don't have a nice flow so it's actually less XP/HR to clear them, especially if the DPS is horrid. I haven't leveled anything before 70 since 4.01 but I will say it drives me crazy that I would AE pull mass mobs and to find classes with AE ability's single targeting things down making me top DPS

15+ Year Old Account
    For the most part when I tank I do.
    When I heal I just do whatever the tank does, and if hes not that great Ill ask him to not get too crazy.

Except when I'm tanking on my current alt and am 74 and still getting nexus. I skip everything I can, I'm more over that place than I am towards ICC.

Regardless of what role I'm playing I tend to skip everything possible depending on the group.

When I play a dps/healer I don't really have much say in what's going on and blindly follow complaining to myself if the tank/healer is bad or people people have no idea what they're doing.

However, when I'm tanking I'll usually pull more than necessary because people are dumb and cannot avoid or purposely aggro trash that I've skipped. - In this situation (if they aggro on purpose) I usually just stand back and watch them fend for themselves. The one acception to this is that if the healer is a decent player I'll pull more because I know I won't die.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tsimp View Post
    The point is, if you skip them you get to the end more quickly, then you can get into the next run/quest/whatever more quickly. Its a trade off of that xp for more time questing, the next run, or whatever.
    At my alts level I get an extra 1200 or so xp at the end of a run. Each group of mobs is worth about 1200+.

Skipping all of those does not give you faster xp if you are dungeon grinding.
    We are WARRIORS man! If we can't make it bleed, we will sure as hell dent the f%^ck out of it!

Quote Originally Posted by Mammoth View Post
    I treat dungeons as a mission, that mission being the death of the bosses and completion of whatever quests. I would not go out my way to kill trash for XP. When I quest I don't grind across the map killing everything, I use my mount. Achieving goals is what makes levelling fun.

I think the problem occurs due to the two mindsets:
    1. Explore the story of the world, levelling by interesting quests. But ofc still doing dungeons because they're interesting and fun.
    2. Burn to 80 without paying attention to anything else. I mean, all the fun is in the raids.

#2 wants to maximise their XP per hour, but #1 just wants to enjoy the dungeon and then move on to something else.
    I'm very much of the second mindset. I'm working on 80 #6 at the moment, and at this point I'm good with hanging around in dungeons killing mobs that won't give me much more XP, especially if it means I can get back into a dungeon quickly and continue grinding. I can't say that the people who want to hang around and see the sights are wrong; they have every right to experience the content like I first did. Just check with the group and see if everyone wants to do that, I guess. If I'm doing twice the DPS of everyone else in the group, I generally don't want to hang around with you any longer than I have to. :/

10+ Year Old Account
    I look at it as XPpS (experience per second)

Due to the extra experience granted upon dungeon completion, it's actually work it to bust through a dungeon as quickly as possible to get those extra points, then immediately requeue.