Poll: What is your preferred TANK after 4.0

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    I've got to say a paladin (being completely bias). Our rotation has gone from a macroed castsequence to actually having to do things. But, I duress from the 'preferred' part... again, of course, it'd be the best tanking class in the game.

Paladin.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Rellekk View Post
    if a tank has to pop out to help heal then you have bigger issues with your healers lol. I consider a good tank by the utility they bring, TPS and how much spike damage they take.
    That's a retarded mindset. As if you never wiped due to tank death? Adding an extra heal is great utility.

On topic: Paladins are probably still the most safe tank, but being a Protection Warrior myself I have to be somewhat biased.

40k+ tps on BQ, 2nd on dps on Fester25 doing 16k+ dps (sloppy undermanned slacker raid), 60%+ avoidance and 16k+ absorbs and overall taking less damage than our warr tank.
    I love my bear tank.

1.) Druid
    2.) Pally
    3.) Warrior
    4.) DK

Druids and pally's being pretty close, then warriors a bit below pallys and DKs not much further below that.

As a druid I average 30-40k TPS (more on some fights) and on fights such as blood queen, i take less damage than most of the raid (whilst main tanking). Savage defense is insane.

Our aoe tanking ability has been improved I would say personally, (although a lot of druids seem to be complaining, I find threat a lot better).
    On my realm, there doesn't seem to be many good bears though - I believe there's only 2 or so bear tanks (one being myself) in the top 5 guilds on our realm (and our realm is relatively slow for progression), whereas there seems to be a load of Pallies, DKs and Warriors (can't comment on how good they are though).
    Computer: Intel I7-3770k @ 4.5GHz | 16GB 1600MHz DDR3 RAM | AMD 7970 GHz @ 1200/1600 | ASUS Z77-V PRO Mobo|

Well, after finally getting LK down again last week i gotta say that watching our bear tank do 18k dps while tanking is fairly crazy.

I like my Warrior best atm

10+ Year Old Account
    don't really have a preference since the patch since I haven't familiarized myself with my own classes since if you disappear for 3 or 4 months your "gs is too low nub" to do content i was farming before faggots and their welfare epics came along.

Warrior seems better off though, from what I've seen in heroics.

Have all you people saying Druid Tanks are the worst even played or used on as of 4.0.1?
    Your retarded if you haven't.
    Currently, single target threat is insane. I can pull aggro off any other tank with ease. On top of that, sitting at around 50% dodge and 65% savage defense is crazy

Druid tanks are OP right now, whether you like it or not.

Druid by far.

We're OP right now. Among all tanks we have the most health, most damage reduction, most avoidance, and by far the biggest threat gen. I sense a nerf incoming.

Quote Originally Posted by Stevoman View Post
    Druid by far.

We're OP right now. Among all tanks we have the most health, most damage reduction, most avoidance, and by far the biggest threat gen. I sense a nerf incoming.
    I doubt they'd do any nerfing; we're balanced around 85, since it's not doing anything game-breaking they will most likely leave it and let Cataclysm decide.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rukari View Post
    Equality is a universal concept, you either care about it for everyone, or you don't care about it. It can't be compartmentalized, you can't champion equality for solely one group, that's inimical to the whole idea of equality.
    To make room for the cupcake!

I'm interested to see the stance on Vengeance buffing Savage Defense, since it basically adds a few k damage reduction.

In beta, I would imagine most tanks to be equal, since the DK changes should be active there.

For a magic heavy fight, I wouldn't take anything over a Death Knight, but everything else isn't too out of whack.

[11:50:45] Earthmender Duarn says: Shamanistic healing is a complex art. You can't just chain heal all day.

Quote Originally Posted by Tamato View Post
    Druid. The bear has never been funner to tank with until now.
    The way you have to play a druid now is challenging enough yet still fun to operate.
    i agree, i used to tank on my pally, but i cant stand tanking on him now, but as im lvling my druid i test out bear form in 5mans, to me, it feels like how pallys used to feel. Just run up to mobs, and spam swipe a few times, BAM aggro galore.

But i dont like how they have changed Tanking, i mean how the lowered our passive threat, and increased everyone's hp. To me, DPS used to need the tank to hold aggro or the dps would die quickly, now with all the health they have they dont have to worry about pulling as much. Plus i feel like they want tanks to do alot now, they want us to do solid DPS and they made threat a bit harder to pump out. If im wrong, which i might be, it is because i only tanked on my pally a few times post patch, i was discourged from tanking again because of the threat and HP prob.

Derailed the Cereal Thread

After tanking 11/12hms and attempts on lk25khm this week death knights seem incredibly strong throughout the first two phases i sit at like 60k tps solid and being able to absorb two melee swings after eating a soul reaper isn't OP at all...

10+ Year Old Account
    I love healing druids for some reason. it just seems simpler.

On a magic fight I still take a bear over a DK mainly because at 85 we'll get 6% magic off the top, we get 12% from natural reaction, barkskin is another 20% every minute and Survival Instinct is 60%.

On a physical fight no one can compare with us. Bear druids are just too good right now and I think instead of druids getting nerfed I think the rest of the tanking classes will be getting buffed.

For me, it really depends on the fight. For ICC, I definitely prefer my Warrior tank. I love being able to charge into and through the trash mobs and single target threat is never a problem. I also really like all the survival cooldowns that warriors have compared to the other classes.

For HHoR, I definitely prefer my Tankadin. I am not sure I could even tank HoR on any other class due mainly to the AoE capabilities of Avenger's Shield and Wrath. It is just so easy to collect all the mobs together and keep threat on all of them. However, I do find the Pally to be a little slow when tanking. I am used to frenetic pace of a warrior tank and the lower GCD. When I tank on my Pally, I always seem to be waiting around for thing to come off cooldown. My warrior, there is always something to hit.

I am still getting used to my bear. Before 4.0.1, my druid tank was definitely the most fun to play; and the easiest. I loved going into groups of mobs and just spamming swipe on all of them. The gauntlet run in CoS was just so much fun. I would simply back down the alleyway and collect everything up as I moved. With the 6 second cooldown, this is a lot harder to do. I find the druid has become a lot like my warrior tank with a bunch of single target abilities and swipe and the glyphed maul for AoE. Although, I do prefer the bear growl taunt and FFF compared to the other class' taunts.

As for DKs, I don't have one so I can't comment from experience. However, from the DPS side of things, I definitely rate DKs last. If I experience a bad tank, it is most likely to be a DK. I think a lot of it stems from the idea kids get that DKs are OP and all you need to do to tank is put on the right presence. With the new dedicated tanking tree, this should hopefully all end.

tl;dr
    1. Warrior for single target
    2. Paladin for AoE, especially undead
    3. Bear for jumping around and having fun
    4. DK

I'd like to start of with congratulating you on finding the poll button. Not many people seem to see that button when asking a multiple choice question.

Anyway I have raided with a feral and a pally as dps, and then done some tanking myself on the DK. Single target threat from the pally seems poor, multi target threat from the druid seems poor, the dk seems awesome threat but very clunky to play due to the new rune system.

At the end the day we'll have to wait and see when we are doing the content the talents are designed for to know which class really comes out ontop.

Brewmaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    Lol Skitlash, you even tried out paladin tanking?
    Single target treat of the paladin since 4.01 is best of all classes at the moment.
    Skyrockets if you know how to play it.
    The only problem paladins have now their survivability has gone down with way too much.
    With only 2 cd's to pop and healers still learning their 4.o1 class it's hard to stay alive

Was a warrior for WotLK and loved every minute of it. Now with the new pally build i'll be rolling Paladin for Cataclysm and am really looking forward to it. It's only going to get better once hitting 85 as they don't have their 60% dmg reduction til then and i'm not sure when the change is being implemented for Divine Plea to give you three stacks of holy power. if you get the range increase for judgment it will be interesting to see what does the most initial threat, going judgment to proc sacred duty and then sotr or avenging shield then sotr or if dps can lay off for 2seconds, avenging shield, judgment, sotr would be ideal.

Warrior feels like it used to: Tabbing + devastade, like pre patch.

Paladins are neat, no uber aoe and passive threat, funny but it feels lame to have free gcds (tried to come up with some kind of 969, meaning CS>something>CS>something>CS>SotR, but i couldnt come up with anything.

Ferals feels like they can't generate AoE aggro or initial threat.

Death Knight: Well "..." i wanted to tank as DW frost(rolled the chars just to get to tank as DW frost), so no matter how good or fun blood might be i think it sucks.