Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Seejay View Post
    I kind of think that whatever Battlecry Alliance comes up with it won't ever be as catchy as 'For The Horde!'. For The Horde is 3 syllables long, while the word 'Alliance' is 3 syllables long by itself. I think it'll just be hard to create one that's short enough for people to actually bother putting in the effort to type.
    Like USA USA USA!

ALLIANCE! ALLIANCE! ALLIANCE!

10+ Year Old Account
    Im as annoyed as anyone that we need so many of these threads.

However heres my suggestion: "Lothar Lives!" - as in, Lothars spirit lives within members of the alliance etc etc yada yada.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Seejay View Post
    I kind of think that whatever Battlecry Alliance comes up with it won't ever be as catchy as 'For The Horde!'. For The Horde is 3 syllables long, while the word 'Alliance' is 3 syllables long by itself. I think it'll just be hard to create one that's short enough for people to actually bother putting in the effort to type.
    Ever heard "For the Emperor!"? 5 syllables. But infinite badassery and no problems with spelling.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by AdamG3691 View Post
    Like USA USA USA!

ALLIANCE! ALLIANCE! ALLIANCE!
    Haha I actually quite like that. Maybe the phrase 'Alliance!' is enough by itself :P

EDIT to above: Yeah I guess so :\

I'm just kinda curious. Why does the Alliance need a battlecry for ? I mostly play Ally, but I don't feel like my life is any less meaniful because I don't have a battlecry to yell out.

My two cents is that "for the Horde" and "Lok'tar Ogar" are really only catchy because of the Thrall (orc) style voice that yells them. If any of the faction leaders yelled "For the Horde" I don't know if it would have the same appeal and zing.

Personally, I think the Alliance side is wasting energy worrying about whether we have a "cool" response to Horde. I'd rather be Proactive than reactive.

Quote Originally Posted by Stormdash View Post
    If "For the Alliance" was gonna resonate, it already would have.

"For the Horde" and "Lok'tar Ogar" capture the excitement and imagination and even, of all things, the inner RP-er of players on Horde-side. In the rare event on Thrall that the Alliance win WG, you'll see a small army of people by the raid portal in Dalaran waiting to go in and take it back, popping wings, Divine Storm (pre-4.0.1 ), battle shouts, etc and /yelling "For the Horde" and "Lok'tar Ogar", and I'll tell ya that it's pretty rare that the offensive battle *doesn't* get the time achievement.

Some of this comes from questing, IMO -- just in "Lich King", the induction of the Taunka in the Horde has that awesome oath. The Wrathgate cinematic (genuinely inspirational for both factions, IMO) has that awesome moment of Saurfang leading his Horde into the battle with the call-and-response (FOR THE HORDE! you can hear his troops answer back).

The potential is there for Alliance -- I'm a Horde player, but I'm pretty impartial, I think people sound ridiculous when they are like "ugh, I'd never play Alliance/Horde". On the PTR for 3.3 I made an Alliance toon specifically to do the questing and Alliance version of the Wrathgate, and was genuinely inspired by how Bolvar gets involved in the questing and you can see what's there to psyche up Alliance players and, also, why it's so poignant to lose Bolvar at the Wrathgate. Prior to that, my Alliance experience has been levelling a Paladin up to the mid-30s (before I had an 80, any heirlooms, or they were cross faction, so I did it "for real" with no bags, no money, no twink stuff, etc -- took a while since it was all alt play), and I was able to kind of get into the majesty of Stormwind and so on, and I remember distinctly a cool quest where Jaina shows up outside Theramore to save your butt.

But through all of that, I never once had an iconic image of what being in the Alliance actually meant to the character, so why would it transfer to me as a player? "For the Alliance" or "Light bless you" or "King's honor, friend" are all read by the voice actors as just sort of casual greetings. Compare to a Horde orc NPC saying "For the Horde!" -- he's pumped and all he's gonna do is sell you some cheese.

What they need to come up with is a phrase that stands on its own and would connect to the passion of the NPCs/characters, because without that, the players never pick up on it. And to do that, it needs to be integrated from the time you first get your class trainer letter, etc.

I'm not really sure what it could be. I was just skimming through the "An End and a Beginning" quest on wowwiki and all of Bolvar's dialogue... "Honor, Courage, Compassion, and Justice!"... "Be free and join the victory!"... there's potential in some of these things, but they'd have to be distilled into one simple, repeatable, iconic thought.

I think the key is brainstorming what the Alliance is -- what is it for, what do those in it have that they didn't before, what unifies them? Hordeside, that's easy; the Horde of old and new both revel in shared power and purpose and victory as ends unto themselves, very Klingon. For the races that join them, it's about shared survival in that power, purpose, and victory.

So what defines the Alliance? Answer that question and the catchphrase will write itself for you.

This is all that really needed to be said. Certainly one of the best posts I have read on this site.
    A true Patriot fights for their country, not for their government.

The new shout oughtta be:

ALLIANCE!
    Fuck yeah!
    Varian is the only king yeah!
    ALLIANCE!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tigercat
    A warrior is kinda like a blender. You can shatter it from a long way off with a gun, or you could even pull the plug so it can't move, but if you stick your face into it when it's moving you're going to lose.

10+ Year Old Account
    "With King's Light and Lion's Roar,
    By kingdom's pact, our spirits soar,
    Against the Darkness, we stand in defiance,
    Even in death, Glory to the Alliance!"
    - Ken Silver, Human Hunter

For a short version, just use the first or the last line. It makes perfect sense to me. And it's a serious consideration.

Heck, if you want, I can even break it down by line.

Line 1: Represents loyalty to your faction leader. Varian and Magni (soon Genn) are Kings. King's light is not only the royal bloodline, but the entity of the light itself. That covers Draenei and Night Elves (since Elune is connected to the light.) Lion's roar symbolizes the Power behind the Alliance and its major (supposed) battle tactic. A roar is a sense of an enemy encroaching on your territory. A roar tells the enemy to check themselves before you have to step in and hurt somebody. It's a warning: don't mess with us and we won't mess with you.

Line 2: The pact is the agreement for the Alliance. Unlike the Horde, we are all in agreement to be here and have equal footing and say. Because of this sense of equality, we fight stronger together (or at least that's the Alliance's belief.)

Line 3: This refers to our dark past. Even with our greatest heroes being lost (Turalyon, Arthas, Bolvar, Liam, etc) and our land being besieged (Southshore), we will continue to fight until we die. We will not falter, we will not loose faith. This is also a reference to how Alliance solders reacted when Lothar died in the First War.

Line 4: In the end, it is all for the greater good. Even if one of us dies, there is another ready, willing and able to help the cause; pick up our sword and (for lack of words) fight the Horde. Or the Burning Legion. Or the Scourge.

Needless to say, I really want this chant/line/Battleshout to be considered seriously. If I really could, I'd post it in the Official forums, but I can't because my account is not activated. I am broke. -_-

Inspiration for the line
    :

Green Lantern's Oath (DC comics)
    Alliance Lore (Mostly Bolvar and Lothar's actions in battle)
    Personal Poetic Experience
    National Geographic Channel (Saw a Lion roaring as I was brainstorming. Obvious duh.)
    Last edited by Ken_Silver; 2010-10-26 at 05:08 PM. Reason: Gave a breakdown of the quote.

"With King's Light and Lion's Roar, By kingdom's pact, our spirits soar, Against the Darkness, we stand in defiance, Even in death, Glory to the Alliance!" - Ken Silver, Human Hunter

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Abacus View Post
    The new shout oughtta be:

ALLIANCE!
    Fuck yeah!
    Varian is the only king yeah!
    ALLIANCE!
    forsaken your time is through
    cause now you have to answer to:
    ALLIANCE!
    Fuck Yeah!

Maybe we should ask this guy.
    "Through the valleys and peaks of Mount Hyjal, across the shifting sands of Silithus, against the Legion's dread armies - we have fought. We are the nameless, faceless, sons and daughters of the Alliance. By the Light and by the might of the Alliance, the first strike belongs to us and the last strike is all that our enemies see.

We are 7th Legion."
    Sounds really badass to me.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken_Silver View Post

For a short version, just use the first or the last line. It makes perfect sense to me. And it's a serious consideration.
    People gonna get bored or killed by the middle of the second line, it's gotta be more catchy But nice.

Deleted
    "Lok'tar? THIS IS STORMWIND!"

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken_Silver View Post

People gonna get bored or killed by the middle of the second line, it's gotta be more catchy But nice.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Haven View Post
    Thanks.

As for the length, that's why I said cut it after the first line.

But as a source, it's best to have a section to pick and choose from. Since we don't have various sources to choose from like the Horde.

"With King's Light and Lion's Roar, By kingdom's pact, our spirits soar, Against the Darkness, we stand in defiance, Even in death, Glory to the Alliance!" - Ken Silver, Human Hunter

MY LIFE FOR AUIR!!

er, I mean... how bout:

FOR TEH CHYNN!!!11

Not for nothing, but does anybody happen to know all the Alliance /charge dialogue off the top of their heads? I googled but found nothing but a table of commands.

It occurs to me, because even on my BE Paladin, the 'charge' dialogue is kinda cool ("For the Glory of Quel'Thalas!", "Remember the Sunwell!")

Might be some territory worth mining in those, for any of the races, really.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Stormdash View Post
    Not for nothing, but does anybody happen to know all the Alliance /charge dialogue off the top of their heads? I googled but found nothing but a table of commands.

It occurs to me, because even on my BE Paladin, the 'charge' dialogue is kinda cool ("For the Glory of Quel'Thalas!", "Remember the Sunwell!")

Might be some territory worth mining in those, for any of the races, really.
    The Dwarven line is "For Khaz Modan!" The Night Elven line is (I believe) "For Elune!" No clue for the others. I guess they just say charge. :P

They don't have multiple? Blood Elves have at least three; the two I mentioned plus one in Thalassian. It's strange, I took the time to listen to every /flirt and /silly for every race and gender, but not the /charge.

FOR KHAZ MODAN!

Pretty much rep dwarves. Rest of Alliance can join in if they want, but happy I've got something to say haha.

"For the Alliance" has always seemed fine to me. Doesn't have the same ring as "For the Horde" though, maybe because of the syllables.