Keyboard Turner
    10+ Year Old Account

Hunters ... Where do we stand

No more "mobile rocket launchers" relying on being assault rifles with no haste on any of our gear. Seems like we lost some luster. Does the future look bright for us in Cata BGs and Arena?

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    You stand far away mashing as much damage as you can. What else?

Keyboard Turner
    10+ Year Old Account
    While on the topic of hunters. Anyone have any good basic macros to use for pvp. I just to condense the basics. I realize i want all my shots available when needed. Currently running BM and MM. Looking for something to spam while kiting and surviving.

right this second we aren't terribly mobile no but aspect of the fox takes care of that.

we're still the most healer dependent class. pets seem to have lost their ability to inherit our resilience, mine dies from cleave and minor aoe damage (thoughtless damage).

our 'mortal strike' is the only one in game that isn't applied via a normal damaging action. IMO widow venom should be applied via cobra shot with a talent in marks that applies via steady shot.

i'm having all kinds of issues with trap launcher. sometimes it just doesn't work at all or will only work with snake trap if the last time i used it was for a frost trap.

BM has some silly burst but its fairly boring. TBW + ArS spam and mash KC when its off CD. focus is IMO quite good in BM spec.

marks when i tried it (prior to the recent buff to signature shots) didnt feel like it had the damage and was always focus starved (fox should help).

SV has good damage but LnL isn't always proccing from frost traps and the spell reflect from mirrored blades isn't working correctly either.

i dont think its all doom n gloom or anything but right now it feels incomplete to me however i feel the same thing about my resto shaman. its just impossible to pvp properly without insta ghostwolf similar to how fox aspect is so critical.

what i will say is we no longer have a niche. we don't have the longest range anymore. pretty much all ranged have burst as good or better than us. our control is average. if we're compared to other ranged classes/specs i would put us somewhere below/near elemental and spriests. none of us have 'spammable' CC but IMO hunters have the weakest CC amongst the 3.

so we don't out burst anything, well maybe BM competes favorably here. we don't out control anything. we don't out survive anything even though one of our trees is 'survival' which apparently means highest pve dps at 85 and has no pvp connotations.

hunter needs some love IMO. if i had my way i would do

Glyph of Deterrence: your deterrence spell also removes magical effects.

Apply widow Venom debuff via cobra shot for BM/SV and steady shot for marks. If this needs to be done via a talent then crouching tiger hidden chimera, toxiclogy, and marked for death seem like logical candidates.

Adjust the CDs of our CCs. increase intimidation to 4s and decrease the CD to 30s. lower the CD of wyvern to 45s. silencing shot is fine imo.

fix the bugs in the aforementioned skills.

10s revive pet is absolutely unacceptable for BM hunters. IDC that its only a 35 focus cost. IDC that i can do it whenever. spending 10s to regain 50% of my damage, part of my CC, and part of my defenses is unacceptable. again hunters are saddled with the worst pet rez mechanics. seriously fix this.

increase kill commands range to 7-9 yards somewhere in there. ive had a lot of lag related oddities with this just not working in pvp even though my pet is supposedly right there but the target moves right as i hit the skill but the pet does nothing.

some sort of heal for all three specs with survival having the strongest heal. maybe give the spirit beast's heal as default for BM hunters. or exchange spirit bond to spirit heal? Possibly increase the widow venom heal MM hunters, maybe not i havent seen it at 85. survival badly needs something, anything, hell a talent that doubles the effectiveness of bandages and prevents them from breaking on damage would be wonderful.

buff snake trap so the snakes don't die to a fart and deal damage that actually scales.

i'm still hoping at 85 things will even out with fox allowing for much greater mobility but there are a lot of needs still and lots of bugs. i have fallback characters if hunters turn out to be boring, not fun, or just broken in pvp though so i'm not terribly concerned.

Keyboard Turner
    10+ Year Old Account
    Man, it just hurts me to know that my first toon im taking to 85 for pvp might be rofl stomped despite being able to play the class well?

Quote Originally Posted by vladdraculea View Post
    right this second we aren't terribly mobile no but aspect of the fox takes care of that.

we're still the most healer dependent class. pets seem to have lost their ability to inherit our resilience, mine dies from cleave and minor aoe damage (thoughtless damage).

our 'mortal strike' is the only one in game that isn't applied via a normal damaging action. IMO widow venom should be applied via cobra shot with a talent in marks that applies via steady shot.

i'm having all kinds of issues with trap launcher. sometimes it just doesn't work at all or will only work with snake trap if the last time i used it was for a frost trap.

BM has some silly burst but its fairly boring. TBW + ArS spam and mash KC when its off CD. focus is IMO quite good in BM spec.

marks when i tried it (prior to the recent buff to signature shots) didnt feel like it had the damage and was always focus starved (fox should help).

SV has good damage but LnL isn't always proccing from frost traps and the spell reflect from mirrored blades isn't working correctly either.

i dont think its all doom n gloom or anything but right now it feels incomplete to me however i feel the same thing about my resto shaman. its just impossible to pvp properly without insta ghostwolf similar to how fox aspect is so critical.

what i will say is we no longer have a niche. we don't have the longest range anymore. pretty much all ranged have burst as good or better than us. our control is average. if we're compared to other ranged classes/specs i would put us somewhere below/near elemental and spriests. none of us have 'spammable' CC but IMO hunters have the weakest CC amongst the 3.

so we don't out burst anything, well maybe BM competes favorably here. we don't out control anything. we don't out survive anything even though one of our trees is 'survival' which apparently means highest pve dps at 85 and has no pvp connotations.

hunter needs some love IMO. if i had my way i would do

Glyph of Deterrence: your deterrence spell also removes magical effects.

Apply widow Venom debuff via cobra shot for BM/SV and steady shot for marks. If this needs to be done via a talent then crouching tiger hidden chimera, toxiclogy, and marked for death seem like logical candidates.

Adjust the CDs of our CCs. increase intimidation to 4s and decrease the CD to 30s. lower the CD of wyvern to 45s. silencing shot is fine imo.

fix the bugs in the aforementioned skills.

10s revive pet is absolutely unacceptable for BM hunters. IDC that its only a 35 focus cost. IDC that i can do it whenever. spending 10s to regain 50% of my damage, part of my CC, and part of my defenses is unacceptable. again hunters are saddled with the worst pet rez mechanics. seriously fix this.

increase kill commands range to 7-9 yards somewhere in there. ive had a lot of lag related oddities with this just not working in pvp even though my pet is supposedly right there but the target moves right as i hit the skill but the pet does nothing.

some sort of heal for all three specs with survival having the strongest heal. maybe give the spirit beast's heal as default for BM hunters. or exchange spirit bond to spirit heal? Possibly increase the widow venom heal MM hunters, maybe not i havent seen it at 85. survival badly needs something, anything, hell a talent that doubles the effectiveness of bandages and prevents them from breaking on damage would be wonderful.

buff snake trap so the snakes don't die to a fart and deal damage that actually scales.

i'm still hoping at 85 things will even out with fox allowing for much greater mobility but there are a lot of needs still and lots of bugs. i have fallback characters if hunters turn out to be boring, not fun, or just broken in pvp though so i'm not terribly concerned.
    I dont know about this to be honest, i play a BM hunter for both PVP and PVE (i know MM is better for PVE BIU I LIKE THE BM PLAY STYLE!!!! Live with it)

And i have no problems in PVP EXCEPT! for the self healing stuff! when im in a BG and i kill some guy/guys im down to 20% health and compleatly full dotted there is nothing and i meen NOTHING i can do to prevent deing if there aint a healer around!

What do i do in this situation? I try to eat and maby and just maby i can still be alive for 5-7 more secs... and this is pissing me of so much. Why dont we get some kind of heal, like a bandage that we can use in battle that dont interupt of dmg.

Quote Originally Posted by Rasengu View Post
    I dont know about this to be honest, i play a BM hunter for both PVP and PVE (i know MM is better for PVE BIU I LIKE THE BM PLAY STYLE!!!! Live with it)

And i have no problems in PVP EXCEPT! for the self healing stuff! when im in a BG and i kill some guy/guys im down to 20% health and compleatly full dotted there is nothing and i meen NOTHING i can do to prevent deing if there aint a healer around!

What do i do in this situation? I try to eat and maby and just maby i can still be alive for 5-7 more secs... and this is pissing me of so much. Why dont we get some kind of heal, like a bandage that we can use in battle that dont interupt of dmg.
    If I recall correctly you are getting a heal, just not yet. Well, actually, I think it was called Widow Venom, I don't know if they replaced it, but it was a sting or something that healed you. Kinda like Life Drain I guess?

Quote Originally Posted by Scunosi View Post
    If I recall correctly you are getting a heal, just not yet. Well, actually, I think it was called Widow Venom, I don't know if they replaced it, but it was a sting or something that healed you. Kinda like Life Drain I guess?
    I wish it was like this
    Its Chimera shot that heals you for 5% of maximum health.
    So its only usable for MM hunters.

Didn't I read somewhere that they're changing the bandages so that they're no longer channeled, but still a HoT effect?
    You're not allowed to discuss conspiracy theories on mmo-champion, which makes me wonder what they're trying to hide.

For some reason people think that Aspect of the Fox is our savior ability that will instantly make us fixed again in PvP, which is not nearly the case. It still doesn't change the fact that we're doing terribad damage compared to the rest of the DPS classes, and we can't keep up. Some people might say "lol n00b im doin fine in bgs, l2p", but that's besides the point. In contrast with the OTHER classes, we're at a severe disadvantage, seeing as how they're buffs greatly surpassed our minor changes. After all, when ur hitting like a feather and u can't bring anybody below 60% health, the first thing that comes to ur mind is definitely not "damn, I wish I was able to move while casting those Steady Shots..."
    It could be possible that at 85, hunters are completely level with the rest of the classes and are totally fine, but I can't tell u that because I don't have any info from the beta. If you were talking about our status at 85, then my apologies.
    I let my subscription run out about 2 weeks ago, so that gives u a standpoint from how recent info I'm talking about. I don't think hunters got many more changes besides a small Chimera/Explosive/Kill Command buff within that time.
    That's my view of it, at least.