Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account

Inner WIll -vs- Inner Fire

I think it's time for another topic on this. We've had a lot more beta experience since the early days of the announcement.

Inner Fire - Level 85

A Holy armor which increases your spell damage and healing, as well as your armory. Use it at all times.

Read: 425 Spell Power and I think increase armor by 90%.

Inner Will - Level 85

A burst of Holy energy fills the caster, reducing the main cost of Insstant cast spells by 15% and increasing your movement speed by 10%.

---

Okay, so 425 Spell Power and 90% Armor Increase versus 10% Run Speed and 15% mana cost reduction on instant cast spells.

Now, does this seem a bit stale to anyone? I'm just seeing this as "If you are having mana issues, use Inner Will. Once you gain enough regen, change to Inner Fire for more output".

Yes, at the moment, they are both instant cast with no mana cost, does that make it interesting? Is it something else we want to juggle in combat?

Does Inner Fire seem like a cover-all instead of mimicking the Warlock versions of Demonic and Fel armor, giving the idea of an Offensive and Defensive mode.

Do you see a use for Inner Will in BGs and Arena? We will just use it when there are no melee around? (Perhaps no Felguards either ;D)

Lastly, lol at the lack of update on Inner Fire tooltip on Beta and yet the Live version is great.

Inner Fire's 60% unless glyphed ("50% extra" puts it to 90). As for usage, the mana reduction only applies to instants, so there's more than just "get more regen to not need it", taking into account playstyle and encounter to encounter, role to role.

As far as PvP usage goes, for Discipline I'm seeing heavy leaning on Inner Fire, but Holy plays the mobility game. Between Chastise, Body and Soul, and even Inner Will (talented of course) you play to stay the hell away from everything else, only switching to Fire when you have to.
    ~Former Priest/Guild Wars 2 Moderator~
    Now TESTING: ArcheAge (Alpha)
    Now PLAYING: MonoRed Burn (MtG Standard)
    Twitter: @KelestiMMO come say hi!
    ~When you speak, I hear silence. Every word a defiance~

15+ Year Old Account
    You're right about Inner Fire being glyphed, although I consider that mandatory for PvP, I didn't mention that it was a glyph.

PvE: Well, Inner Will surely plays to the side of Disc Bubbling (what's going on with Penance, does that count?) and Renew Chakra. Along with cheapening CoH and ProM.

PvP: Inner Fire remains dominant. I like that I can change to Inner Will if I see I am against a duel-caster team, although I'd likely have it talented, so I would have 6% Spell Damage reduction from Inner Fire!

I like what you are saying about Holy PvP, however I dislike that Chastise loses it's offensiveness once you enter a Chakra state. I'd like it to work as Chastise if you are targetting an enemy and work as it's healing state if you targeting nada (e.g: for Sanc placing) or a friendly target. Perhaps that is a bit fidgety.

If mana durability and mana efficiency are going to be as important as purported, I can see inner will getting a lot more PvE use than inner fire. The idea is that being able to cast heals for longer will be better than being able to cast bigger heals. Add in run speed over armor and IW could be a PvE no-brainer.

As far as Arenas, you may be right, but to get a peel, it's not hard to do a /cancelaura.

For Battlegrounds, I find myself running around without a Chakra more often than with one, though I can use Aspire as base defense, and Sanctuary for rocking a choke point, so I'm not likely to spec out of Revelations.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by cruxxy View Post
    If mana durability and mana efficiency are going to be as important as purported, I can see inner will getting a lot more PvE use than inner fire. The idea is that being able to cast heals for longer will be better than being able to cast bigger heals. Add in run speed over armor and IW could be a PvE no-brainer.
    Exactly.

Quote Originally Posted by Kelesti View Post
    As far as Arenas, you may be right, but to get a peel, it's not hard to do a /cancelaura.

For Battlegrounds, I find myself running around without a Chakra more often than with one
    Why?

Quote Originally Posted by Ultima View Post
    Why?
    Not many people dismount when running from LM to BS to spam renew back up to 30 sec haha, often times I find myself in the same situation too - Ill be in chakra during one battle, and in route to another my buff will fall off and still be on CD.

Also, note that Inner Fire is getting a big SP boost in the next build. Its starting to look hard to sac all that sp...
    so tasty

15+ Year Old Account
    Hah, I hope she meant in combat. I don't think it's worth mentioning that you wouldn't dismount every 20 seconds to keep Chakra up, especially with it's new CD.

Also, zomgpriestchanges.

Even in combat, I've found more control by running without a Chakra until I feel enough pressure to justify Aspire, Serenity, or Sanctuary. This is more a play of feeling, but new Chakra may change this.

10+ Year Old Account
    I wouldn't consider Inner Will to be a mana regen armor, because if you take into consideration that most Instant-cast abilities have a higher or as high of a mana cost compared to abilities like Heal, Smite, or Mind Flay. You normally wouldn't cast all instants either. It's definitely the mobility armor; the 15% mana reduction on instant casts is probably to compensate for the fact that you will be only casting instants while on the move.

It looks like it could be useful in PvP or PvE, for any spec, depending on the circumstances. Personally I would always have Inner Fire active, and switch to Inner Will if I was being targeted by Atremede's fire breath, running from Marrowgar's Bone Storm, or when carrying a flag or trying to chase down a flag carrier in a background.
    85 Priest/72 Druid/85 Mage/24 Shaman/56 Paladin

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ultima View Post
    Why?
    Holy Word: Chastise is awesome in bgs. That pesky melee mocking you? Chastise him! Commence healing. With it's low cooldown it couples nicely with psychic scream for cc.
    You know what is better than drinking a beer? Brewing your own beer. And then drinking it. And then... Drinking another beer. And then, punching somebody in the snout! That's what!

10+ Year Old Account
    They've made some great changes to make having two armors more managable.

- Both armors are free, which gives us the hint that they wantus to switch. This (imo) was the biggest problem I had with it initially. When I am already questioning the use of Inner Will, having to spend mana to switch to it and back made it really unappealing (especially with mana being more important in Cataclysm).
    - Both armors last 30 minutes, are undispellable, and have no charges.

At this point, even if Inner Will is less useful more often than not, I won't feel guilty for trying to use it.
    There is no gene for the human spirit. ~GATTACA

Does anyone know if untalented and talented Inner Will stacks with vitality enchant? It doesn't say that it does not, but considering it's beta I'd like to have confirmation from someone who has tested it.

I'm having a hard time justifying NOT picking it up even if I'm holy spec, especially if it stacks with run speed enchants. If I knew, I'd figure out my enchanting/speccing optimization better. I love that my shaman sacrifices almost nothing to receive the ghost wolf talent, so that I'm able to instant cast a speed boost indoors and choose another boot enchant because of the base increase it affords.
    Last edited by Lekscene; 2010-10-28 at 03:16 PM.

If they take inner fire off of the GCD (or rather lower the GCD, just like warriors stances), inner swapping might be a new viable PvP aspect for priests. Other than that, giving a speed boost to the least mobile healer in arena/BG's is just such a massive tease considering were snared 70% of the time, all the time =).

Quote Originally Posted by Lekscene View Post
    Does anyone know if untalented and talented Inner Will stacks with vitality enchant? It doesn't say that it does not, but considering it's beta I'd like to have confirmation from someone who has tested it.
    There was a blue post when the spell was announced which mentioned that it does stack with boot enchants.
    I shall die here. Every inch of me shall perish. Every inch, but one. An inch. It is small and it is fragile and it is the only thing in the world worth having. We must never lose it or give it away. We must never let them take it from us.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Abandon View Post
    There was a blue post when the spell was announced which mentioned that it does stack with boot enchants.
    Which is rather ridiculous. It shouldn't stack but rather already include the 8% from the boot enchant. Which other class that has access to a passive movement speed bonus does have to enchant their boots with runspeed to get the maximum out of their class boost? None. It's simply bad design.
    You know what is better than drinking a beer? Brewing your own beer. And then drinking it. And then... Drinking another beer. And then, punching somebody in the snout! That's what!

if it does stack that means we would move at 24% increased movement speed (10%+8%+talented 6%= 24%)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Devanox View Post
    if it does stack that means we would move at 24% increased movement speed (10%+8%+talented 6%= 24%)
    Yes, it's supposed to work like that. I wish it was rolled into the spell, but I'm not sure if that's just priest bias.
    There is no gene for the human spirit. ~GATTACA

10+ Year Old Account
    That's actually good game design- you have the choice to not take the talented 6% speed and there will probably be a boot enchant to compete with the Minor Run Speed increase, so if you don't then Inner Will will only give you a 10% speed increase. If you DO take those then it will give you a 24% increase. Imo I think the boot enchant and at least 2/3 in Inner Sanctum is worth it :]
    85 Priest/72 Druid/85 Mage/24 Shaman/56 Paladin

PvP, I'll be running with boots +3/3, keeping myself as mobile as possible, but still glyphing Inner Fire. Paladins are going to screw me out of my mobility game though, more than Frost Mages do to a Warrior.

PvE, it comes down to a fight per fight (or even phase to phase, now that they're free) basis, but I see myself spending almost every fight in Inner Will at least half the time.