Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by cs1985 View Post
    from what i gather if you are questing and not paying attention you will get pwnd. you might be adle to get away if your fast enough. I can see a lotta QQ coming about this.........qq deathwing is in my questing zone today i hate you blizzard for doing something fun that interuptes the importants of my life QQ
    Kind of like the city QQ during the zombie invasion?
    Congratulations, your mind has been expanded.

It seems kinda dumb that Blizzard would implement a Feat of Strength where everyone would be willingly trying to chase after Deathwing and stand or fly in front of him during his Deep Breath attacks...

Not trying to stop him or kill him - but trying to die in front of him.

"Oh look - It's Deathwing! Quick, mount up and fly into his fiery breath to die!"

...uh, yea.

Quote Originally Posted by Netherscourge View Post
    It seems kinda dumb that Blizzard would implement a Feat of Strength where everyone would be willingly trying to chase after Deathwing and stand or fly in front of him during his Deep Breath attacks...

Not trying to stop him or kill him - but trying to die in front of him.

"Oh look - It's Deathwing! Quick, mount up and fly into his fiery breath to die!"

...uh, yea.
    It's the Cataclysm gold sink!!

Quote Originally Posted by ShadCroly View Post
    It makes me wonder how fast the fire will kill someone who is standing in it.
    Apparently, you won't die at all. In the video the guy on the mount lands and walks around on the ground through the fire and took no damage at all. It's just cosmetic.

I guess you have to be directly in Deathwing's cone of fire when he's doing a fly-by.

Quote Originally Posted by link064 View Post
    First, thats from the RP section of the announcement.
    Second, if you read further down the thread, you'll see their design decision:
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment

Yes, this isn't a permanent event, but will last so long as he's free to roam the world.
    The achievement is a Feat of Strength since it won't be available forever. Given the rate at which this occurs and the random way in which he chooses to attack, virtually everyone who earns the Feat of Strength will get it by accident -- it's a wrong place at the wrong time sort of thing.
    If they intended the achievement to be obtainable all the way through Cataclysm, it would be an achievement, not a feat of strength, and then be converted later like tons of the Wrath achievements. This alone should make it clear that this event will not be occurring for a long period of time.

Many people are asking "why didn't Deathwing completely destroy Stormwind" and it seems clear that the answer is that he is not "free to roam the world". A simple extrapolation of what the devs said, and possibly unintended reference, but seems likely.
    I don't know if anyone is thinking it will be obtainable all the way through Cataclysm. But I think a few weeks to a couple months beyond the release is not unreasonable. The other idea is that it will only be the week or three between 4.0.3 and the release of Cataclysm. That's possible, but seems rather short.

Anyone else think they should have a Deathwing flying around on the world map that shows his path? That would help reduce qq by helping people avoid him and help people get the achievement faster

Deathwing is probably going to have some sort of dependency, Lorewise, that keeps him underground after his initial attacks. He probably needs Twilight Cultist "firejuice" or some other goofy thing to stay on this plane of existence.

And it's a convenient way to keep him bottled up in a raid instance.

Just once I'd like to see a World boss that required half the server population to join forces to take him down in the persistent world, not an instance - especially an expansion-level World Boss.

10 and/or 25 people will eventually kill Deathwing. Just seems weak for an Aspect that was described as being the size of a mountain in the lore and books...

In the Beta videos, Deathwing looks like he's smaller than Onyxia.

Deathwing is probably going to have some sort of dependency, Lorewise, that keeps him underground after his initial attacks. He probably needs Twilight Cultist "firejuice" or some other goofy thing to stay on this plane of existence.

And it's a convenient way to keep him bottled up in a raid instance.

Just once I'd like to see a World boss that required half the server population to join forces to take him down in the persistent world, not an instance - especially an expansion-level World Boss.

10 and/or 25 people will eventually kill Deathwing. Just seems weak for an Aspect that was described as being the size of a mountain in the lore and books...

In the Beta videos, Deathwing looks like he's smaller than Onyxia.
    He looked pretty big in the Mount Hyjal intro video when TotalHalibut was on the emo drake.

Quote Originally Posted by haglowicz View Post
    He looked pretty big in the Mount Hyjal intro video when TotalHalibut was on the emo drake.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1CLSn...layer_embedded

In that video - do you think he's bigger or smaller then Onyxia?

It's hard to tell because the guy on the mount doesn't get too close to him to judge the scale. For some reason he doesn't look that big to me.

I could be wrong though. Who knows.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by haglowicz View Post
    I don't know if anyone is thinking it will be obtainable all the way through Cataclysm. But I think a few weeks to a couple months beyond the release is not unreasonable. The other idea is that it will only be the week or three between 4.0.3 and the release of Cataclysm. That's possible, but seems rather short.
    I wasn't sure if anyone was insinuating that it would be there the whole of Cataclysm, but I just wanted the idea to be clear. If the event does indeed last after Cataclysm's release, I would be very surprised if it lasted more than a couple weeks. It seems the devs are considering this to be part of the pre-Cataclysm events.

If you look at this thread, you'll notice that Zarhym says:
    The pre-Cataclysm events have technically already begun with the earthquakes, though it obviously starts very mild and picks up over time. We don't want to ramp it up too quickly, but rest assured there will be a number of new developments as we get closer to Cataclysm. In fact, by the time the shattering of Azeroth takes places shortly before the release of the expansion, we might have to apologize for blowing your minds.

We'll have more information on the events coming soon.
    Take note of the time this response was posted: 17:11 PDT (5:11 PM pacific). Now, look up a few threads and you'll see this one. Look at the time: 18:00 PDT (6:00 pacific). I think it is more than coincidence that Zarhym announces that we're about to get more pre-Cataclysm events information Soon™ and then 50 minutes later they post an article about Deathwing ravaging the new-old world.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1CLSn...layer_embedded

In that video - do you think he's bigger or smaller then Onyxia?

It's hard to tell because the guy on the mount doesn't get too close to him to judge the scale. For some reason he doesn't look that big to me.

I could be wrong though. Who knows.
    Like you said it's hard to get a scale from that with him flying and an unknown distance away.

This is the video I was referring to: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a78JErrAZNo Definitely dwarfs the Troll on the dragon.

Quote Originally Posted by emmiting View Post
    What we have here is great strength of feet!

5 points goes to whoever remembers the movie thats from.
    Beginning of Robin Hood Men in Tights.

Also it's really cool that they're doing this with a boss. Instead of the hiding in his base of BC and the "I wont kill you this time" of WOTLK, its neat to have him just rampage every now and then.

Quote Originally Posted by Pie Eater View Post
    It will be fun for a couple of days. Once ppl had enough of it, the QQ will start.
    just like the awesome zombie stuff :<

B line through a zone. Run away after the first time.

Quote Originally Posted by Isaiah View Post
    Congratulations to Egypt, who after many wipes over a very long raid lasting most of the week, resulting in some very close attempts earlier this morning, has finally downed Mub'arak, earning a tribute to insanity. Now that they have completed trial, will Paragon beat them to the punch in ICC? Only time will tell. According to a very credible source, some of the loots included liberty, freedom of speech, and, most importantly, the internets.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by link064 View Post
    I wasn't sure if anyone was insinuating that it would be there the whole of Cataclysm, but I just wanted the idea to be clear. If the event does indeed last after Cataclysm's release, I would be very surprised if it lasted more than a couple weeks. It seems the devs are considering this to be part of the pre-Cataclysm events.
    People don't seem to be looking at Zarhyms response in context to the question asked, if you look at at:

So does this mean he's going to strafe zones all through Cataclysm until the 4.x patch when he's killable and he's dropped on a realm sometime?
    Yes, this isn't a permanent event, but will last so long as he's free to roam the world.
    The question the person asks is 'Will this last until we defeat Deathwing?', to which Zarhym replies 'Yes, and then he will disappear.'. If Deathwing was only going to fly about until Cataclysms release, I'm sure Zarhym would have said 'No, <moretext>'. That's the way I interperet it, maybe I'm wrong but that's my opinion.

10+ Year Old Account

Robin Hood: Men in tights.
    Said by the arab to robin as a response to "we need a great feat of strength"
    the arab then replies "No! What we have here is great strength of feet" they then use their feet to loosen the bar keeping them locked

Ontopic: looking forward to hunting this guy in order to the the achivement

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Polarwiseman View Post
    The question the person asks is 'Will this last until we defeat Deathwing?', to which Zarhym replies 'Yes, and then he will disappear.'. If Deathwing was only going to fly about until Cataclysms release, I'm sure Zarhym would have said 'No, <moretext>'. That's the way I interperet it, maybe I'm wrong but that's my opinion.
    While I understand where you're coming from, I don't think that was the nature of Zarhym's response. It seems to be that his response was aimed at whether or not this would be a permanent change, not specifically relating to the timeline.

If you look at how he phrases his response, he says "Yes, this isn't a permanent event" which is responding to the idea that Deathwing's assault will not last forever. Then, he goes on to say "but will last so long as he's free to roam the world" indicating that the previous assumption of "until we kill him" was wrong. Unless he greatly misspoke, I doubt he meant that "as long as he's free to roam the world" is the same as "until we kill him", indicating that there is another event that causes Deathwing to have to retreat.
    Last edited by link064; 2010-10-27 at 07:53 PM.

I just hope that they let us know which zone he will be in, so that I can move my characters out/into that zone.
    Bring the player, not the class. *And a shaman.
    DEMACIA!!!!!

Robin Hood - Men in Tights

Deleted
    But but but, it's awesome you get an achie for free :O!

Who doesn't want that? :O!