(Beta)Brutal Impact nerf

Mana cost to healers went down to 10% instead of 30%.
    Is mana really going to be so rare that a 10% mana increased cost is justified vs the current 30%?
    I really thought feral had a unique talent here. This has definitely lessened the impact it has on healer mana now.
    Did healer base mana costs go up somewhere and I didn't notice it?
    Thoughts?

10+ Year Old Account
    goes in line with the MS nerfs.
    and if Bliz plays it out the way they want it, those 10% mana cost are going to be equally good as the MS. Perhaps even better.

Quote Originally Posted by Torne View Post
    and if Bliz plays it out the way they want it, those 10% mana cost are going to be equally good as the MS. Perhaps even better.
    Notably, they are in a sense multiplicative with MS (i.e., they stack with MS).

Quote Originally Posted by Torne View Post
    Yeah, this is what people that haven't played on the beta don't understand about Brutal Impact: it's effectively the same as an MS ability (hence why it was targeted with all the healing-reduction effects).

Lot of my friends on live don't really understand when after PvPing a lot on the beta that I moan and groan a bit on live at my inability to outlast a healer over time. The problem is that while we have a sexy interrupt ability via Skull Bash, its ability to drain a healer's (or caster's) mana bar cannot be seen at 80 due to insane mana regen capabilities of healers even in full PvP gear. Many of the imbalances we see in lvl 80 PvP melt away once healers need to use hard-cast heals instead of just instant casts to avoid interrupts, as well as mana bars actually going down. It's actually what makes Skull Bash / Brutal Impact really sexy in PvP at 85... even if you miss an interrupt, the caster still pays... couple this with an actual MS on the healer's target, it's really powerful.
    Last edited by exochaft; 2010-10-27 at 05:59 PM.
    “Society is endangered not by the great profligacy of a few, but by the laxity of morals amongst all.”
    “It's not an endlessly expanding list of rights — the 'right' to education, the 'right' to health care, the 'right' to food and housing. That's not freedom, that's dependency. Those aren't rights, those are the rations of slavery — hay and a barn for human cattle.”
    ― Alexis de Tocqueville

10+ Year Old Account
    That is good to hear. The two things I wanted for pvp were a debuff for healers and a change to savage roar. A druid will be a healers worst enemy if this 10% is indeed enough to cause problems, especially since they have given MS debuff to so many classes now.

Deleted
    I guess with a 10 second Skull Bash cooldown, this has a potential of being near constantly up. So 10% increased mana cost is quite nice. Come to think of it, 30% would've been overkill.

Quote Originally Posted by Zapadlo View Post
    I guess with a 10 second Skull Bash cooldown, this has a potential of being near constantly up. So 10% increased mana cost is quite nice. Come to think of it, 30% would've been overkill.
    not any different from 25% ms... that's not overkill? or was it. lol...10% seems pathetic
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    If [the dps] are on the wrong target, then they are playing badly and should be corrected and / or mocked, depending on how you roll.

Quote Originally Posted by fizikz View Post
    not any different from 25% ms... that's not overkill? or was it. lol...10% seems pathetic
    Depends on how you look at it. At 85 healing spells don't really heal much more than they do at 80 but they cost a ton more mana. Take flash heal for example. Flash heal costs 28% of base mana. At 80 a priest has a base mana pool of 3863 which means flash heal costs 1081 mana. At 85 a priest's base mana pool is 20590 which means flash heal will cost 5765 mana. Now keep in mind that flash heal at 80 heals for 4680 to 5438 (5059 average) and at 85 it heals for 5227 to 6073 (5650 average) with no gear. So you have a 530% increase in the cost for an 11% increase in healing. In lvl 85 pvp gear healers will actually be able to run OOM; making them run OOM faster is still a very good ability.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by fizikz View Post
    But MS and SB are different, one decreases the effects of healing, the other spell cost.

To me the the logic is:

- In 2 vs 2 having MS up, makes the healer 175% effective (100% on one target and 75% on other who has MS on them).

- Same situation, having Skull bash on healer - 180% effective healing (90% on all targets).

Anyway, we are not warriors.

It is inline with the MS nerfs, but I just think that the difference between 10 and 30% is the difference between a passive ability and a mechanic.

10% extra mana cost or reduced heals is a little push to balance.
    30% extra mana or reduced heals is a mechanic that changes playstyle.

I really don't see how 10% extra mana cost is really going to change anything, especially considering that 25 energy every 10 seconds is probably on the order of 10% of our energy anyways. What would be far better would be increases next cast by 50%. Then if you are smart and interupt something and the druid is panicked into casting a regrowth - it costs them. But if u just senselessly use it, they just use a rejuv and shrug it off. Just my opinions though, maybe that 10% will be signifigant come 85.