Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Dalavita View Post
    I assume the first DPS test is a full DPS rotation, whereas the other two are a diseaseless DS compared to a disease+DS rotation.

Since the topic is DK self-healing, I consider a 16% loss of your damage a good option to gain additional survivability from death strikes. One would also have to consider that Frost fever is a 20% attack speed debuff as well, so depending on what kind of fight it is, it could still be very well worth it.

I assume you didn't take outbreak into account in the scenarios?
    Would be difficult to take Outbreak effectively into account without having full access to the gear at 85.

And the trade off for that amount of self healing is much, much more for worse than others. Rogues lose one envenom per 30 seconds. Warriors lose nothing.

15+ Year Old Account
    I think the main problem with DK healing in cata isn't that DK healing was nerfed (ret selfhealing was also nerfed pretty hard) it's that especially warrior and rogues (warlocks always had good selfhealing, mages don't get hit too much while leveling) got EXTREMLY good selfhealing skills that make the newly nerfed DK selfhealing pale in comparision.

Warriors Victory Rush is just completely rediculous while leveling. A ragefree 20% max hp heal that does damage too, can only be used for 20 (25 with minor glyph) seconds after a killing blow. PERFECT for leveling especially in cata with leveling mobs being more of a challenge than in wrath. Then you have the 20% better self heals from field dressing(?) talent, and another +50% for victory rush from a major glyph. Meaning VR heals for ~34% hp selfheal. That's comparable to us deathpacting our ghoul which is a 3 minute cooldown (2 for unholy). VR is insane for leveling, and if you get a killing blow in pvp, there too.

Plus of course there's the talent at the top of the fury tree that procs a free %max hp based heal when you take damage.

And rogues Recuperate, when talented with 2 easy talent points (+ maybe 20% heal from assassination tree) heals for substantial amounts too, regenerates energy if skilled in the subtelty tree, and lasts 30 seconds for a 5% max hp heal every 3 seconds, and can be used with combopoints from a recently deceased enemy.

Those 2 are the main culprits I think why DPS DK selfhealing looks so bad right now. DPS Paladins, Priests, Druids and Shamans always had rather good selfhealing capabilities because they are healing hybrids. Warlocks had good selfhealing too because well they play with health as a resource somewhat. Mages tend to have magic shields or not get hit while leveling. Hunters have a pet to take the hits for them and they can heal it. Of the remaining classes we were the only one with real selfhealing capabilities.

And now with the new rune system death strike costs an arm and a leg, got nerfed for both unholy and blood, and our other healing skills (lichborne and deathpact) are on long 2+ minute cooldowns.

While everyone can surely (hopefully!) be balanced around their own selfhealing capabilities when it comes to pvp survivability and damage, it really sucks when you have to sit down and eat for 20+ seconds while leveling between mobs because you can't heal otherwise, while at the same time other classes that had this problem before got really good heals.
    You know what is better than drinking a beer? Brewing your own beer. And then drinking it. And then... Drinking another beer. And then, punching somebody in the snout! That's what!

yeah victory ruck is just ridiculous now. Also rogues have a talent to refresh recuperate when they get a killing blow, and since it lasts 30 sec you basically always have it up.

So warriors and rogues never needs to stop eating while lvling. This is what blizz wanted to prevent, they don't want us to be some kind of Rambo hero steamrolling everything and never needs to take a break. WHY warriors and rogues? It doesn't make any sense. DK's should be the class that heals themselves from the suffering of their foes, and never needs to stop eating.

And i remember Blizz said the reason they nerfed affli healing was because they shouldn't be able to heal themselves in raids, thats healers job. GG destroying affli in PVP because of some minor PVE stuff. But why are rogues and warriors allowed to have so strong self healing then?! The 2 classes that aren't supposed to have any healing at all makes DK's the masters of self healing pale in comparion... This game is MESSED UP atm.

Deleted
    for pvp its another thing entirely. with necrotic strike we can completely shut down any self healing capabilities of rogue and warrior. i think nerfing self heal and buffing damage gives us kinda the opportunity to play double dd and makes us completely overpowered in battlegrounds with a healer behind us.

it nerfs our soloing ability but makes room for buffing us for our group.

but we will see how it will balance out at 85. i dont think death strike is too weak with a decent set of pvpgear. remember, death knight is one of the best scaling classes in the game and the pvpsets aren't even accessible in beta. the last balancing barrage hasn't even begun.

AND FFS!!! remove the damn cooldown bug of raise dead...

edit: another tool for self healing in pvp: dark simulacrum. we get balanced mates. it makes it easy to outlast healers in a 1on1 situation and still doesn't let us completely heal against any pure dmg classes. self heal is what made us op in duels and our cooldowns fix that. just save ds for bursty stuff.
    Last edited by mmoc7f25e17046; 2010-11-02 at 02:34 PM.

well you sacrifice damage with necrotic strike also. And we did good damage before 4.0 also, so this is just a pointless nerf. Either they would have to buff Death strike a lot, or they need to remove warrior and rogue healing entirely. Cuz right now its just completely messed up and it doesnt make any sense at all.